Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

IAM and their view of driving too slow

Old 02-08-2008, 06:05 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by syvee,Feb 8 2008, 09:50 AM
On the subject of overtaking... had a golf try and block my overtaking move this morning... dead straight rd and a 60mph limit.. the golf was doing 40ish.. i idicated gave plenty of notice and moved out to overtake.. just as i was getting up to it .. it moved out .. so i backed off thought nothing of it and gave it a second go... she did the same thing... this time it was done in an almost defensive driving manouver .. now this too me is dangerous.. why do people do this?.. because to me all this does is make a dangerous(and s2000 damaging) situation... sure you've all had this before at sometime but it really makes me mad
As you might imagine, I do have a bit of an issue with Golfs as well!

It's becoming the new Volvo 343 for sanctimonious non-driver twats.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NigelC,Feb 8 2008, 09:11 AM
Try hanging back a bit more before the overtake. This will often allow you to read the road a bit further ahead due to improved forward visibility.
Hanging back usually makes the car in front think any 'threat' of an overtake is removed. Change down, overtake and by the time the car in front realises, you are usually level and you can then use the slingshot of extra speed to get you where you want to be and the car being overtaken usually doesn't have time to close the gap.
Hope that makes sense but it seems to work for me.
funnily enough, it works for me too. the second i straddle the center line to check for safety and get remotely close to them they huddle up.

i've yet to be pulled out upon to be denied an overtake.
sad thing is if WE break the law like hypersonic did, we got done. yet they dont get pulled for not 'making progress'.

i vote get rid of limits & cameras, and let the problem solve itself few months will see pleanty of ditched cars and a few less cocks on the road
Old 02-10-2008, 07:27 AM
B B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tango Man,Feb 7 2008, 08:57 AM
The case of the lady from Bristol has a happy ending! IAM staff examiner Andy Poulton spent some time with her after she regained her licence, in order to boost her confidence behind the wheel."
Blimey the smugness almost leaps off the page.
The daft old bat should have had her licence taken away, and it's about time a MINIMUM speed limit was imposed on some roads.

In the days when those who felt so superior having passed the IAM test used to place a badge in the back window my heart would miss a beat as I came up behind them. I knew I was about to witness excessive exagerated carefull driving, irrespective of the manner of the driving before I appeared in his mirrors.

There would be a VERY slow approach to every corner & junction, lots of braking, adherance to the speed limit (rightly of course) until the car was EXACTLY alongside the de-limit signs. Acceleration could be timed in hours, and God forbid if you overtook. I half expected the drivers window to come down and be treated to an exhibition of string-gloved hand signals.

In the 70's my employer paid me to take the IAM test, partly so as to secure an insurance discount. I never bothered getting an 'assessment' prior, just took the test and passed. No big deal, just drove like a numty, and promptly returned to driving normally, that is making good progress and allowing others to do so.
For the hour of the test I was an Advanced Driver, so what? It did not mean a thing. When I changed employer and was expected to pay the IAM fees there was a myriad of better ways to spend my money.

Since then I have attended a two day residential police driving course, & been instructed on a motor racing circuit by a qualified racing driver.

Mmm the last time I spotted an IAM badge on a car it was on a old Volvo, the driver even older and guess what was being towed? a white lavatory on wheels - sorry caravan.

Rant over - good fun though
Old 02-10-2008, 07:34 AM
B B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blurter,Feb 7 2008, 10:42 AM
I had one tit hanging of my bumper in a 30 limit for about 4 miles last night; on the bloody phone too.

Once the road opened up to a 40 limit, then NSL, I never saw the nob again; until I dropped back to 30 and there he was

Fecking vanker
Recently had same experience on a stretch of dual carraigeway. Clear road, & I was trundling along a about 45mph but this prat was sitting on my tail.
So observing there was nobody behind 'him', I took my foot off the throttle and allowed the car to go slower and slower and slower, until the berk realised he was up my chuff doing 10mph. Down went his phone & off he buggered. I had been prepared to come to a complete stand.
Works every time, BUT not if you inconvenience others.