Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

IAM and their view of driving too slow

Old 02-07-2008, 10:50 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Jel,Feb 7 2008, 05:56 PM
Select 1st gear 50 yards before hand and cruise through at the redline, wakes popo up from his cocooned slumber.
Well, I tend to put the 'Lude on cruise & see if I actually hit them, before they re-accelerate.

I usually have to brake, because they never use the reflecty thing in the windscreen.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could spend soooooooo much time on this one
Old 02-07-2008, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've noticed a lot of people move out towards the centre line when they see me approaching from behind at a speed faster than they are travelling..

I believe many think this will impede my progress.

I can understand the frustration of people driving slow but IMO it's better if inexperienced drivers drive within themselves.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:49 PM

with all of the above.

The A40 into London yesterday, 40 limit, everyone slows to 30 or less for the cameras.

Why????????
Old 02-07-2008, 01:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do away with speed cameras

job done
Old 02-07-2008, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by MB,Feb 7 2008, 09:04 AM
nowadays, people do seem to take being overtaken as a personal insult.

How many times have we all been flashed at for a perfectly decent overtaking move. Then get tailgated for it afterwards??
I overtook a bloke in a Merc the other day on single carriageway. He was driving fine aside from the 40 in a 60 bit. Not a massive problem I though, I'll just overtake during this massive gap in oncoming traffic!
He tried to outgun me to stay ahead of me. I booted it and got chased for about two miles with full beams and swearing.
Got to a roundabout and waiting for a gap, said nutter pulls alongside in the oncoming lane to shout abuse at me.
Not entirely sure what he thought I was doing wrong, but I think he probably topped it.

While I'm pi##ing and moaning, if I could get away with it, I would kill people who use the middle lane when there's nothing in the left lane...... :-)
Old 02-07-2008, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by NigelC,Feb 7 2008, 05:24 PM
One of my pet peeves is where other drivers deliberately close gaps when they see a car overtake. This is simply bl00dymindedness and quite often involves goods vehicles.
It's almost getting to the point of overtaking becoming an antisocial behaviour.
Happened to me the other night on the A40 in the dark Pulled out to overtake one car and he closed the gap between him and the two car in front.

Fortunately I'd done the hang out and take a look then blat past, rather than the triangular shaped overtake, and there was enough space to get past all 3 - however it meant going a bit quicker than I wanted to.

I just don't undertsand peoples mentality !
Old 02-07-2008, 11:58 PM

I've found people much more obstructive since I started driving the Scoob than anything I've had before.

Every Powerpoint-Jockey in a VAG diesel speeds up when I go to pass them, as soon as I move right to take a look I get engulfed in a big cloud of black smoke and they're off, using all 1000rpm of that 'power' band to completely mess up my chances of getting past, then back to dawdling at 45, revelling in the only bit of control they can exercise in their sad little empty lives.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by dreamer,Feb 8 2008, 08:18 AM
Happened to me the other night on the A40 in the dark Pulled out to overtake one car and he closed the gap between him and the two car in front.
This type of thing is a good enough reason to own a powerful car.

People have tried this on me for a nanosecond and failed miserably.

IMO a good way to avoid this it to pull out (moving perpendicularly left) with no increase in speed in an attempt to show the other driver you are going to attempt an overtaking move. You can then read the other drivers reaction and decide whether it's safe to overtake or not. This will last for 0-2 s generally.

Of course this is not always foolproof and not always possible to do this.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by MarkB,Feb 8 2008, 08:58 AM
then back to dawdling at 45, revelling in the only bit of control they can exercise in their sad little empty lives.
sometimes the trick is to catch them off guard, ie at the point they dawdle back to 45.

Quick Reply: IAM and their view of driving too slow