Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

I got an X Type as a daily..

Old 10-08-2015 | 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
They had a very bad rep a long time ago, electrics stuffed in wet places and generally ropey design but i doubt they did much to this one, though i assume its rwd so a bit of a plank conversion..

I used to work next door to a jag breakers called peatman and cox, he made a lot of cash out of them being.. Sketchy
That seems to be particularly unique to UK/EU morons, sorry, automotive engineers; stick the FREDs where they can easily be soaked.

If a motor company were based in Arizona, it would be forgivable. Not for one based in Bromwich/Coventry. Or Ingolstadt...
Old 10-08-2015 | 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
Originally Posted by Nottm_S2' timestamp='1444254883' post='23769109
They had a very bad rep a long time ago, electrics stuffed in wet places and generally ropey design but i doubt they did much to this one, though i assume its rwd so a bit of a plank conversion..

I used to work next door to a jag breakers called peatman and cox, he made a lot of cash out of them being.. Sketchy
That seems to be particularly unique to UK/EU morons, sorry, automotive engineers; stick the FREDs where they can easily be soaked.

If a motor company were based in Arizona, it would be forgivable. Not for one based in Bromwich/Coventry. Or Ingolstadt...
Like all those Passats with their CCM stuck in the passenger footwell .... that is the first thing to get wet when the engine bay drain fills / pollen filter housing isn't fitted correctly
Old 10-08-2015 | 08:04 AM
15 Year Member

How well do these Jags accept life north of 150,000 miles?
Old 10-09-2015 | 12:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by C7 JFW
How well do these Jags accept life north of 150,000 miles?
I don't think you can have much in the way of long term expectations from any (petrol) engine once it gets above 150K. I've never kept a car at that mileage and above but have had plenty at 100K or so. IME once you get near the six figure mark any car will have tired suspension and all sorts of ancillaries will be wearing out. Usually best to ditch the car if it needs major expenditure, especially so if it has no status. X types are pretty unloved so usually far better to replace the car than replace an engine. Specific to the X-type, the 3.0 is vulnerable to oil starvation. It's very easy to ruin that engine if the level gets too low but aside from that I don't think they are any better or worse than other similarly sized motor. Probably less stressed if coupled with an auto as most are. Auto gearboxes also fail and that's terminal as it's a £2K job to replace with a rebuilt unit.
Old 10-09-2015 | 02:00 AM

I generally find most cars are pretty much fucked much North of 80,000 anyway.

Particularly ones you have to drive at 10/10ths everywhere. Which is most of them, TBH.

This is not true of North America, where 400K is not uncommon, but conditions are so very different over there.

But driving on a wet, overcrowded island with only dirt roads pretty much fucks everything pretty quickly. At least Iceland doesn't suffer the overcrowding.
Old 10-09-2015 | 05:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nick Graves

Particularly ones you have to drive at 10/10ths everywhere. Which is most of them, TBH.

This is not true of North America, where 400K is not uncommon, but conditions are so very different over there.

But driving on a wet, overcrowded island with only dirt roads pretty much fucks everything pretty quickly. At least Iceland doesn't suffer the overcrowding.
You get a big engine that will take the miles then you can buy cheap and spend a few quid refreshing suspension and wear and tear items to end up with a bit of a bargain.

My 2004 STR new price £55K.

Purchase price in 2013 £3850 88K miles.
Expenditure on new suspension and other fixes, servicing and tyres approx £3000.

Now on 110K in perfect nick sitting on new rubber, serviced and still producing 400bhp. Every bit of kit working as new. Worth £6K all day long. Probably a bit more and rising.
Old 10-09-2015 | 05:54 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by gaddafi
Originally Posted by Nick Graves' timestamp='1444384845' post='23770589

You get a big engine that will take the miles then you can buy cheap and spend a few quid refreshing suspension and wear and tear items to end up with a bit of a bargain.

Expenditure on new suspension and other fixes, servicing and tyres approx £3000.

Now on 110K in perfect nick sitting on new rubber, serviced and still producing 400bhp. Every bit of kit working as new. Worth £6K all day long. Probably a bit more and rising.
I'd argue much less - 5k in the selling market if beautifully presented with everything there, around £3.5k - £4k as a piece of metal to a trader. Again depending on condition & history.
Worth 6k to someone who's been sniffing something
Old 10-09-2015 | 11:54 PM
20 Year Member

£1k isnt much less but regardless bangernomics isnt accountancy ateotd

Your golf loses you £2.5k a year and has 170bhp, its as benign a car as you can buy really (as someone who has even a passing interest in cars) and is mainly targeted at people churning the miles, although not on a limited lease i guess

You two just have to accept you have very different wants from a car

I'd rather be a bit out of pocket and sliding that jag about laughing tbh
Old 10-10-2015 | 12:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by s2k4tony
Originally Posted by gaddafi' timestamp='1444396021' post='23770704
[quote name='Nick Graves' timestamp='1444384845' post='23770589']

I'd argue much less - 5k in the selling market if beautifully presented with everything there, around £3.5k - £4k as a piece of metal to a trader. Again depending on condition & history.
Worth 6k to someone who's been sniffing something
[/quote]

You'd be arguing with yourself. If you can find a facelift (that's 2004 on) STR with a Jaguar MDSH sitting on completely replaced suspension, dent and accident free with an unblemished interior and perfect wheels, all equipment working and with four new Pilot Sports on unmarked wheels for £5K, do post it up.

You won't be able to but it will be amusing waiting for you to try. I await 02, 03, Cat D/only needs a fuse/my wife doesn't like it specials.

End of the day it doesn't matter what it's worth to me. It's just one of eight ropey old cars I currently own. I expect I'd be lucky to get £10K for the lot based on your valuations.

Old 10-10-2015 | 05:02 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
£1k isnt much less but regardless bangernomics isnt accountancy ateotd

Your golf loses you £2.5k a year and has 170bhp, its as benign a car as you can buy really (as someone who has even a passing interest in cars) and is mainly targeted at people churning the miles, although not on a limited lease i guess

You two just have to accept you have very different wants from a car

I'd rather be a bit out of pocket and sliding that jag about laughing tbh
184bhp & £2.3k actually :-)

Yep, true. Done the old banger barge thing for a few years, it's a hobby for some and after years of chopping cars in very frequently, you end up with a CBA attitude to potential unreliability. Lucky for me nothing failed or hurt the wallet. Made some real money along the way with my wheeler dealering, just by bartering down on buying, and then tidying up. Almost like a driveway trader, but not.
The Jag is one hell of a brave buy, considering its reputation.

Quick Reply: I got an X Type as a daily..