Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

how long will it take to drive from northern england to southern england?

Old 12-05-2001, 11:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had wondered the same, after the fact smilies are pretty tricky - I just give up and imagine they are there

As a Brit abroad, I always get the question What is the difference between UK, Britain, England - how come you have England football and cricket - but British Olympics etc. smoke and mirrors I think - for everybody - including the Scots.
Old 12-06-2001, 12:08 AM

Mingster, the answer depends on where you want to start from, where you want to end up, what time of year you'll be travelling and what sort of experience you want in between!

If travelling north to south, do you want to end up in the West Country (Somerset, Dorset, Devon, Cornwall) or central southern England (Hampshire, West Sussex) , or the south east (East Sussex, Kent etc. )?

Do you want to travel on motorways (equivalent to your interstates), ordinary roads, or a combination?

Be warned, if you've never been to the UK before, the driving experience is totally different to the US. Traffic density on motorways is VERY high, especially on the M6 (north west down through the south midlands) the M1 (north east down through the midlands to London) and the M25 (London outer ring road). Holdups are common and getting through the midlands on the M6 is a nightmare.

Do you want to see some decent landscapes, villages and towns or do you just want to see concrete and traffic?

What time of year are you thinking of?

Let me know the answers to the above and I could suggest a route or two for you.

I've travelled pretty much most of the UK in my time and 25 years ago I used to run a business organising holidays for wealthy tourists wanting individual itineraries in limos, staying in castles, playing golf, going horse-racing etc. I'm not going to do that for you, but suggesting routes will be easy enough!

Pete
Old 12-06-2001, 03:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you were to take a road trip in your S, how long will it take to drive from the northern tip to the southern tip?
In a hurry, a couple of days. As a leisure trip at least a couple of weeks - I've often thought about doing it actually - maybe the arrival of the car in April will prompt me into action. I would love to drive in the Scottish highlands so I'd spend a bit of time there, I come from the Yorkshire Dales so some time driving all the roads I learned on would be a must. The Derbyshire peaks are always fun and I fancy the idea of seeing all the Welsh roads the magazines do their road tests on. Then there is the Cotswolds and the West country where there are plenty of sweeping A and B roads. I think you could have quite a good driving holiday in the UK if you were lucky with the weather and careful about where you went and at what time of the year.

I used to run a business organising holidays for wealthy tourists wanting individual itineraries in limos, staying in castles, playing golf, going horse-racing etc.
When I win the lottery I know who'll be getting a PM then....
Old 12-06-2001, 05:06 AM

Anecdotal but FWIW I've done the journey from Oldham (Northern England) to Portsmouth (South Coast) in three and a half hours on a Friday night (left home at 8 pm arrived 11:30) in a Merc C180....with 8 miles on the clock when I set off - much apologies to the hire car company as the engine was well and truly #cked after 350 miles of WOT and about 200 miles topped out down the M40 & M3

Back when I was young and foolish though....
Old 12-06-2001, 05:39 AM

Originally posted by mikerich

God-awful lane discipline
Oh I don't know.

Everyone travels in the same lane, the outside one. And so, as you're not allowed to overtake on the left, you have to bite your lip and stay in the queue even when the lanes to the left are empty.

I reckon that's being pretty well disciplined

Pete
Old 12-06-2001, 05:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Back when I was young and foolish though....
Ah, not so young anymore then Tif

You set-em up, i'll knock-em down!!!

PS - how do you do a 'quote' properly -----you know 'originally posted by' and bold text and all that clever malarky
Old 12-06-2001, 05:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ianl
[B]
Old 12-06-2001, 05:50 AM

You'll kick yourself when you see it Ian! Look at the top right of the post you want to quote from and you'll see the quote button - voila! Instant quote response
Old 12-06-2001, 05:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Tifosi Red
You'll kick yourself when you see it Ian! Look at the top right of the post you want to quote from and you'll see the quote button - voila! Instant quote response
Blimey - tricky eh!

Thanks Brian / Tif.

I will slink off quietly and give myself a good kicking!
Old 12-06-2001, 09:14 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PWE 896
[B]

Oh I don't know.

Everyone travels in the same lane, the outside one. And so, as you're not allowed to overtake on the left, you have to bite your lip and stay in the queue even when the lanes to the left are empty.

I reckon that's being pretty well disciplined