Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

How environmentally friendly is a Prius

Old 07-06-2011, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is there any difference in harmful (to my lungs) emissions between a hybrid and conventional petrol? Or is C02 the only real improvement?
Old 07-06-2011, 06:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In theory, the more frugal an engine, the less pollutants. But this doesn't always hold true. The way engines burn the fuel, and also how efficient and effective any catalytic converters and particulate filters matters.

Essentially, we need to compare the pollutants produced in unique hybrid components to any reduction during the vehicle lifecycle.

Then offset the reduction in supply chain of fuel.

To do it properly is very complex.

Put another way, I've just produced a new vehicle, it produces no co2. However it emits polonium...
Old 07-06-2011, 06:15 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by dave.irl
Whenever I see this argument, rarely do people mention the environmental benefit within towns or cities. Even if there is no difference in total CO2 over the manufacturing and ownership period, then surely not having to breathe noxious diesel (and I include modern diesels in this statement) fumes and petrol fumes from older cars with no catalytic converters is something worth striving for.

As a regular pedestrian as well as car owner, I would be much happier for all the CO2 and other toxic stuff to be produced at the factory rather than pumped out of the tail of cars into my lungs as I walk down the street.

Anyone agree?
I've mentioned this before, in fact obliquely in this thread already. As a regular pedestrian, I'd much rather a fleet of hybrids driving around than a fleet of diesels.

The hybrids stink a lot less and are much quieter (which does mean one has to look more carefully before crossing the road, but that's hardly a huge problem).
Old 07-06-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Hale
Most times I see one they're screaming down the motorway in lane 3.

So I doubt the hybrid element is actually doing much then.
That's exactly where I see most of them, doing 90+ in the outside lane.

Toyota UK was here the other week and he just couldn't get it into his head that I wouldn't be putting the Prius on the company car list. I couldn't get any of our guys to choose that car over a BMW 320ED.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by lower' timestamp='1309858295' post='20746813
[quote name='fluffyninja' timestamp='1309729225' post='20743736']
Lower, so far as I can tell its just a ratio C02 compared to a conventional build (being 100% or 1). Therefore showing a marginal increase in the manufacturing output of CO2 compared to conventional but with a large improvement in running outputs

Nor can you use this chart to give any indication of how an older car compares to a prius. For example, the Co2 has already been produced in manufacturing an older conventional car, so surely an ongoing evaluation should compare the total cost of producing and running your prius with just the running costs of the older car.
That's not a comparison really worth doing, though. If someone's going to buy a new car, then the only fair way to make the comparison is with a new car.

If one were to to an older car comparison, then how much older would you go. A 70s car will have vastly higher CO2 emissions than a 90s car, for example.

There's a lot more detail here http://www.toyotagb-press.co.uk/prot...eclaration.pdf see page 10 for an older version of Fluffy's graph but states that "comparable vehicles are: Conventional petrol (Euro 4) and diesel vehicles (Euro 5) and Equivalent power performance"

What's very clear is that the CO2 emitted in production is pretty low compared to that emitted from driving, and that goes for all types of cars, whether, petrol, diesel or hybrid.

Whether CO2 emissions actually matter is another story...
[/quote]

Exactly, assuming that you run a conventional vehicle for the same length of time as a current production vehicle you could near enough write off the production CO2 levels. That's against a brand new vehicle using current engine developments. Take a "Classic" car of some descripion and how many have a reasonably efficient engine? Probably the nearest to a modern classic with an energy efficient engine is the S2000 or an MX5. S2000's putting out 237g/km v 89g/km for a Prius. The S is putting out over 2.5 times the quantity of CO2 emissions. I'm sure it's possible to fish out an obscure engine that is as efficient/more efficient but how widespread are they and available to the public?

Also, again I'm with you ref the does CO2 bit really matter.

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
Sod the fuel, that mfg. energy is so relatively small a proportion is what's dubious. Looks like they're starting at the factory gate & not trawling raw earths out of Russia/China every six years when the battery packs up or sweating in the steel mines of Madeupistan.

If the graph were in megajoules, I'd give it some credence. Since it's in CO[sub]2[/sub] s instead, I call it b ulls hit. I don't for one minute doubt Toyota's sincerity, it's just there are also bollock-brained forces afoot.
As mentioned it does appear to cover raw material (materials production is covered in the graph) Why do you suspect that the mfg energy is such a small proportion? Also battery is warrantied for 8 years and assuming they use similar evaluation concept for that as they do the engine they'll expect it to last far longer (how many of you NON '09 OWNERS would be worried about your engine at 3 years). Battery can be roughly assumed to last the life of the vehicle. Plenty of GEN1 Prius out there still running on original batteries

Originally Posted by Dan Hale

Actually doing lots.
1. Key point of the engine is it runs an Atkinson cycle (strictly speaking a modified Atkinson cycle since it replicates it but isn't the true cycle). Highly efficient power cycle at the expense of power output. Means that for steady state running it can run very efficiently and then for acceleration it can kick in the electric side to act as a buffer rather than take the engine out of an efficient operating mode
2. Allows many accessories to run in more efficient modes. Key example being water pump or power steering. The water pump at highway speeds can actually run at very low speeds due to the high level of aerodynamic cooling. The electric pump can do this. Conventional pumps produce large amounts of drag since they're running as flat out as the engine is when they don't need to be. Same with electric power steering systems
3. As mentioned Heavily optimised aerodynamics compared to most vehicles (ok that bit isn't "hybrid" engine as such but is a feature of the car)

Originally Posted by nickrg3.1
carbon footprint of going to all 4 corners of the earth to make it cant look good. also dont the batteries need to get replaced frequently? The disposal has got to be worse for the environment than a egular car.
See above comment
Old 07-06-2011, 11:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
Originally Posted by gaddafi' timestamp='1309890026' post='20748156
[quote name='Nick Graves' timestamp='1309888434' post='20748058']
They DO mention mining, and as stated, the brochure is far more factual than the graph.

It's merely that it's an incredibly complex measure and the AGW 'fact' has ensured that one must be very cautious about such stuff being based upon assumptions that later turn out to be hogwash.

As posted earlier, since Toyota are no doubt comparing it to their own 2.0 car, such irregularities are evened out.

The replacement battery thing can also be overstated - imagine the energy required to make a replacement HP Diesel pump & turbo, or to decoke a fouled DI gas engine regularly, for example.
maybe they could just produce some less arty comparisons, rather than trying to put everything in a hopeless and misleading graph/schematic?

I tear these bloody things to pieces most weeks - they are usually presented by some twenty something twat via Powerpoint

Isn't that the truth! Probably why I boiled up over the use of CO[sub]2[/sub] s as if it were a legitimate SI unit.

I realise I'm a bit unusual in enjoying reading dry technical papers from SAE or whatever, but all this simpleton stuff with cliche flowers or babies or smiley minorities all over it just makes me all Tourette's.

Honestly; it'd be like if I had a website & used my avatar as statistical proof of why that makes my practice better than all the other beancountancy firms. I'd be swamped with business, probably and no-one would see the parody.
[/quote]

I suspect the reason it's used is CO2 is more relevant to the average Joe Public rather than SI units. Unfortunately CO2 scoring is more drilled into people than all the actual science they'll ever be presented with. You have to get the message across in a way people will understand and unfortunately in this case it means using a popular measure people are familiar with

Whenever I see this argument, rarely do people mention the environmental benefit within towns or cities. Even if there is no difference in total CO2 over the manufacturing and ownership period, then surely not having to breathe noxious diesel (and I include modern diesels in this statement) fumes and petrol fumes from older cars with no catalytic converters is something worth striving for.

As a regular pedestrian as well as car owner, I would be much happier for all the CO2 and other toxic stuff to be produced at the factory rather than pumped out of the tail of cars into my lungs as I walk down the street.

Anyone agree?

Originally Posted by chilled
No, because co2 us pretty irrelevant to pedestrians. It's all the other stuff you need to care about.

Most electronics create some pretty nasty pollutants during manufacturing. I'd be interested to see those figures. Joules is a reasonable measure, but a better one would be the differential volumes of all the pollutants. Co2 is the least of our worries.

So is there any difference in harmful (to my lungs) emissions between a hybrid and conventional petrol? Or is C02 the only real improvement?
Realistically these days no. In older gas guzzlers you can expect smog to be a problem (anyone visit Sao Paulo or similar) but in more modernised cities much less of a problem

Originally Posted by Bundle of Mayhem
Originally Posted by Dan Hale' timestamp='1309866885' post='20746955

That's exactly where I see most of them, doing 90+ in the outside lane.

Toyota UK was here the other week and he just couldn't get it into his head that I wouldn't be putting the Prius on the company car list. I couldn't get any of our guys to choose that car over a BMW 320ED.
Toyota GB please
I work for Toyota UK and they try not to allow us close to the general public
Toyota GB is the sales and marketing arm.
I can't really argue with that. If you're offered a BMW or a Toyota as a company car the only thing that's going to sell it potentially is environMENTALism or BIK breaks
Old 07-06-2011, 12:03 PM

Sorry Toyota GB
Old 07-06-2011, 03:06 PM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by dave.irl' timestamp='1309958534' post='20751039

Anyone agree?
I've mentioned this before, in fact obliquely in this thread already. As a regular pedestrian, I'd much rather a fleet of hybrids driving around than a fleet of diesels.
Until you step out in front of one and get mown down as you can't hear the bugger.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:04 PM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by LTB
Originally Posted by lovegroova' timestamp='1309961746' post='20751232

The hybrids stink a lot less and are much quieter (which does mean one has to look more carefully before crossing the road, but that's hardly a huge problem).
Until you step out in front of one and get mown down as you can't hear the bugger.
As I already mentioned (full quote now included).
Old 07-07-2011, 12:21 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

quite an interesting article:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...icle-recycling

a couple of things jump out at me

$2.5BN in stimulus funds!!!

they don't know the answer to the question

Quick Reply: How environmentally friendly is a Prius