Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

How environmentally friendly is a Prius

Old 07-05-2011, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My diesel is frugal and has lots of torque...

Thinking about swapping it for a megane trophy 265 though...
Old 07-05-2011, 07:32 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by chilled
My diesel is frugal and has lots of torque...

Originally Posted by chilled
Thinking about swapping it for a megane trophy 265 though...
Old 07-05-2011, 07:55 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
That's not a comparison really worth doing, though. If someone's going to buy a new car, then the only fair way to make the comparison is with a new car.
It is a comparison worth doing on the basis that the argument raised in the first post is that a running a older car for longer will produce less CO2 than manufacturing a new car.

I suspect that the Toyota chart does not include the CO2 emissions caused by manufacturing the raw materials in the first place.

Why spoil a good bar chart with the truth?
Old 07-05-2011, 08:08 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by lower
Originally Posted by lovegroova' timestamp='1309859777' post='20746839
That's not a comparison really worth doing, though. If someone's going to buy a new car, then the only fair way to make the comparison is with a new car.
It is a comparison worth doing on the basis that the argument raised in the first post is that a running a older car for longer will produce less CO2 than producing a new car.

I suspect that the Toyota chart does not include the CO2 emissions caused by manufacturing the raw materials in the first place.

Why spoil a good bar chart with the truth?

The Toyota chart does apparently contain the raw materials elements. See post #12

Old 07-05-2011, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

carbon footprint of going to all 4 corners of the earth to make it cant look good. also dont the batteries need to get replaced frequently? The disposal has got to be worse for the environment than a egular car.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:53 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

They DO mention mining, and as stated, the brochure is far more factual than the graph.

It's merely that it's an incredibly complex measure and the AGW 'fact' has ensured that one must be very cautious about such stuff being based upon assumptions that later turn out to be hogwash.

As posted earlier, since Toyota are no doubt comparing it to their own 2.0 car, such irregularities are evened out.

The replacement battery thing can also be overstated - imagine the energy required to make a replacement HP Diesel pump & turbo, or to decoke a fouled DI gas engine regularly, for example.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
They DO mention mining, and as stated, the brochure is far more factual than the graph.

It's merely that it's an incredibly complex measure and the AGW 'fact' has ensured that one must be very cautious about such stuff being based upon assumptions that later turn out to be hogwash.

As posted earlier, since Toyota are no doubt comparing it to their own 2.0 car, such irregularities are evened out.

The replacement battery thing can also be overstated - imagine the energy required to make a replacement HP Diesel pump & turbo, or to decoke a fouled DI gas engine regularly, for example.
maybe they could just produce some less arty comparisons, rather than trying to put everything in a hopeless and misleading graph/schematic?

I tear these bloody things to pieces most weeks - they are usually presented by some twenty something twat via Powerpoint
Old 07-05-2011, 12:02 PM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi
Originally Posted by Nick Graves' timestamp='1309888434' post='20748058

maybe they could just produce some less arty comparisons, rather than trying to put everything in a hopeless and misleading graph/schematic?

I tear these bloody things to pieces most weeks - they are usually presented by some twenty something twat via Powerpoint

Isn't that the truth! Probably why I boiled up over the use of CO[sub]2[/sub] s as if it were a legitimate SI unit.

I realise I'm a bit unusual in enjoying reading dry technical papers from SAE or whatever, but all this simpleton stuff with cliche flowers or babies or smiley minorities all over it just makes me all Tourette's.

Honestly; it'd be like if I had a website & used my avatar as statistical proof of why that makes my practice better than all the other beancountancy firms. I'd be swamped with business, probably and no-one would see the parody.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whenever I see this argument, rarely do people mention the environmental benefit within towns or cities. Even if there is no difference in total CO2 over the manufacturing and ownership period, then surely not having to breathe noxious diesel (and I include modern diesels in this statement) fumes and petrol fumes from older cars with no catalytic converters is something worth striving for.

As a regular pedestrian as well as car owner, I would be much happier for all the CO2 and other toxic stuff to be produced at the factory rather than pumped out of the tail of cars into my lungs as I walk down the street.

Anyone agree?
Old 07-06-2011, 05:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, because co2 us pretty irrelevant to pedestrians. It's all the other stuff you need to care about.

Most electronics create some pretty nasty pollutants during manufacturing. I'd be interested to see those figures. Joules is a reasonable measure, but a better one would be the differential volumes of all the pollutants. Co2 is the least of our worries.

Quick Reply: How environmentally friendly is a Prius