Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

How environmentally friendly is a Prius

Old 07-05-2011, 02:17 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Sod the fuel, that mfg. energy is so relatively small a proportion is what's dubious. Looks like they're starting at the factory gate & not trawling raw earths out of Russia/China every six years when the battery packs up or sweating in the steel mines of Madeupistan.

If the graph were in megajoules, I'd give it some credence. Since it's in CO[sub]2[/sub] s instead, I call it b ulls hit. I don't for one minute doubt Toyota's sincerity, it's just there are also bollock-brained forces afoot.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:29 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
Sod the fuel, that mfg. energy is so relatively small a proportion is what's dubious. Looks like they're starting at the factory gate & not trawling raw earths out of Russia/China every six years when the battery packs up or sweating in the steel mines of Madeupistan.

If the graph were in megajoules, I'd give it some credence. Since it's in CO[sub]2[/sub] s instead, I call it b ulls hit. I don't for one minute doubt Toyota's sincerity, it's just there are also bollock-brained forces afoot.
This is pretty useful too http://www.myprius.co.za/pgr_e.pdf

Figures are over 100,000km and the Prius gets better after 20,000km

The last page has some more useful stuff relating to material production, NOx, SOx, Particulates, and Hydrocarbons.

So it seems they do include getting hold of the materials (which will, of course be pretty much the same as for a non-hybrid car, apart from the electrics for the hybrid system).
Old 07-05-2011, 02:44 AM

Far better guide.

Beware that the ISO14040 standards refer to mesuring their own measuring performance, as opposed to a defined model of 'life cycle'; a lot of standards are now merely job-creation.

Since Toyota is comparing new to new in that example, it's in fact academic & the brochure is rather more reliable than the graph.

Which it rather ought to be; if the regen. braking were marginal with a heavy hybrid, they ought to kick it in the head right now! Even Honda's light hybrid makes a great deal of sense - IF it can be seamlessly integrated.

Still riled that they're not using MJ though!
Old 07-05-2011, 03:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can prove that the prius is bad for the 'environment'.

The level of smugness owners project is immensely irritating. Smugness pollutes my environment. Quid pro quo, upside facto, ne rien, proost, etc.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most times I see one they're screaming down the motorway in lane 3.

So I doubt the hybrid element is actually doing much then.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:19 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

The low drag co-efficient will be extremely beneficial though...
Old 07-05-2011, 05:08 AM

Screaming down the m-way?

Mostly, they seem to have taken over from the 343 & the Mini Metrocity as the car that's always in the bleedin' way.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:52 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
Screaming down the m-way?

Mostly, they seem to have taken over from the 343 & the Mini Metrocity as the car that's always in the bleedin' way.
Funny that, I usually find myself stuck behind something spewing out diesel stench...
Old 07-05-2011, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love over taking priuses (prii? pre-eye?)!

I make a point to bang off the limiter as I got past so they know all their years work to save the polar bears has been undone by my 5 seconds of ragging about in a decatted Honda.

It's the little victories in life
Old 07-05-2011, 06:28 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Most Prius owners I know chose their car on the basis of fuel economy rather than "saving polar bears".

Diesel drivers are the same, if not worse. Any car conversation with them will turn to "it does 60mpg on the motorway you know". And, if you stay much longer they'll blather on about "torque"...

Quick Reply: How environmentally friendly is a Prius