Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Heads Up - 5th Gear Tonight

Old 07-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Ryn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Heinz '57,Jul 24 2006, 10:24 PM
Am I the only person that finds this crap program and its presenters irritating?
No. I despise it. I can't even watch it, and it's about cars.

Watch that old trout VBH chucking cars into four wheel skids when she should be going straight on? No thanks.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ryn,Jul 25 2006, 05:54 AM
No. I despise it. I can't even watch it, and it's about cars.

Watch that old trout VBH chucking cars into four wheel skids when she should be going straight on? No thanks.
I like her, but the standard of her driving (especially given the task) was terrible. The car just looked entirely uncomfortable. Surely you will achieve more 'g' from a full grip turn in, than you will a poorly executed slide?
Old 07-25-2006, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Blurter,Jul 24 2006, 08:05 PM
I thought it looked incredibly ordinary.

Perhaps it looks better in Ferrari red, but to me, from the front it could have been Japanese. Ferraris are about drama and exhuberance, the 599 seems way, way too understated and ordinary. Perhaps they're aiming for a different, conservative market (911 drivers?), but it didn't seem like a particularly exciting looking car to me.

Also, Plato is a cock.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:29 AM
ge2

Originally Posted by Bada Bing!,Jul 25 2006, 09:22 AM
I like her, but the standard of her driving (especially given the task) was terrible. The car just looked entirely uncomfortable. Surely you will achieve more 'g' from a full grip turn in, than you will a poorly executed slide?
Television, editing etc. Smoothly driven cars aren't very exciting to watch.

Anyway if you're looking for maximum lateral 'g' surely you'd just drive round in big circles in a big open space instead of hacking through narrow country lanes.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:34 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryn,Jul 25 2006, 04:54 AM

I managed that in the M5 the other day - in the feckin dry with the DSC on

I felt very pleased with myself afterwards, because the sound from the tyres (about
Old 07-25-2006, 01:09 AM
reg

Another terrible episode. What did we all learn this week eh? Firstly that VBH buys any old BS that the sponsors/car manufacturers say in respect to how great something is. You want to talk value go check out what the BMW costs with the options. 170HP, didn't the DC2 make more from less 10 years ago and weigh 1100 kg into the equation?

Secondly that a stunt pilot is way more interesting than a c*ck in the mouth middle of the road race driver and doesn't find car control that much of a problem.

Moving onto 'falling off' a stunt bike a 'stunter' (re biggest bunch of biker kn*bs you will ever meet) doesn't get hurt at 5 mph with a revolutionary jacket, 'hmmmm these bikers are a fashion consious lot you see so it must be groovy', lets see how long it takes for MotoGP to adopt it?

Last but not least the sasquash comes up with the amazing revelation that a 'sh*tload HP' Ferrari is quick and sounds good in tunnels, genius.

Tiff, please leave this steaming turd of a show and get back to TG.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:15 AM
reg

Originally Posted by ge2,Jul 24 2006, 12:18 PM
It's a homologation special (2nd time I've used that term today!). There might be more to it, like a pukka suspension/brake setup but you're not going to find that out about that on a crappy TV program.

I'd be a very happy bunny if they made more cheaper, lower powered, but fun to drive variants of cars, like the 106 rallye for example.

It's not all about power all the time, but I'm sure you'd understand that owning something like an Elise
There 'might' be some proper power with a race ECU, exhaust, head, cam. There 'might' be some respectable lap times when it runs slicks, 3 way shocks, has plexi windows and magnesium wheels. There 'might' be lots of 'mights' but as a road car 173HP is pretty shite to propel a 3 series. You want to tell me that it is quicker point to point than an Elise, i'll take your bet

I wonder if the 'G meter' is homologation too or just a gimmick to part fools from their cash? At least Tarquin will have something to open conversations at dinner parties from now on?
Old 07-25-2006, 01:35 AM
ge2

Originally Posted by reg,Jul 25 2006, 10:15 AM
There 'might' be some proper power with a race ECU, exhaust, head, cam. There 'might' be some respectable lap times when it runs slicks, 3 way shocks, has plexi windows and magnesium wheels. There 'might' be lots of 'mights' but as a road car 173HP is pretty shite to propel a 3 series. You want to tell me that it is quicker point to point than an Elise, i'll take your bet

I wonder if the 'G meter' is homologation too or just a gimmick to part fools from their cash? At least Tarquin will have something to open conversations at dinner parties from now on?
The point I was trying to make was cars don't have to be very fast in a straight line to be enjoyable and often these specials have lots of subtle tweaks that don't make much impact when boasting down the pub but can make them a good drive.

The reason I mentioned the Elise is because although there are very fast variants, there's much much more to them than the 0-60s and looks which sell them to the majority of buyers.

And didn't 5th Gear put the G meter in for the feature?

Old 07-25-2006, 01:49 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I saw a bit of a previous show, whilst setting up a new PVR decoder.

VBH seemed to be wantonly destroying a W124T, a sacreliege since it was the last Mercedes-Benz worth buying. In fact, it probably still is.

This show is aimed at entertaining guffawing spacktards. The sort that think the stunts on Top Gear aren't staged.

So best you don't admit to watching it in future!
Old 07-25-2006, 02:30 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Details on the engine:

quote:

This high level of performance has been achieved using BMW

Quick Reply: Heads Up - 5th Gear Tonight