Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

GTR v GT2

Old 11-24-2008, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by moff,Nov 24 2008, 03:04 PM
Porsche have gone a bit mad from time to time - 959 was sensational as was the Carrera GT.
Both awesome cars, but Ferrari outdid them with the F40 and the Enzo
Old 11-24-2008, 06:24 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

The 288 GTO was in fact closer to the 959. But the two still are not really comparable.

The 959 was essentially a Gruppe B car that had some truly wonderful technology and was waaay ahead of its time. I can only really liken it to a Veyron, but one small and sensible enough to go rallying in.

In many ways, this GT2 vs GT-R stuff is eqaully fatuous. The 911 only truly makes sense because it's a 2+2 that is easily converted to 4WD and is then truly useable. Thus something like a 911 Turbo becomes directly comparable to the GT-R and makes far more sense to argue about esoterics such as lapping someone's 'Ring.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,Nov 24 2008, 03:24 PM
Thus something like a 911 Turbo becomes directly comparable to the GT-R and makes far more sense to argue about esoterics such as lapping someone's 'Ring.

I thought that was the benchmark comparison between the two companies
Old 11-24-2008, 09:08 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Subaru2000,Nov 24 2008, 11:56 AM
There's a guy near me with one, he hasn't had much interest @63K
I think you would have to be a mug to buy an import GTR.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Hypersonik,Nov 24 2008, 02:40 PM
Starlight - Ferrari is waaaaaaay different to Porsche.

There is something magical about Ferrari - why on earth would anyone spend a fortune on a car that wasn't all that reliable, cost a fortune to maintain, and wasn't all that fast?

Because it makes you feel special. Not in the eyes of others - I couldn't give a stuff about what anyone thought about me if I was driving one because i'd just be grinning like a cheshire cat with every mile I clocked up.
In your opinion. But your opinion counts for nothing in the realms of people who are in the position to be able to afford to buy these cars.

Some buy them for the pose, some because a high end 911 variant is about the only 'everyday supercar' there is, some because they don't know much about cars and to them, the 911 is the car they know andf trust to deliver performance and practicality.

But many Porsche owners have simply longed for one for years, to them a Porsche is what makes them feel special.

To paraphrase you;

There is something magical about Porsche - why on earth would anyone spend a fortune on a car that wasn't all that exclusive, cost a fortune to maintain, and wasn't as fast as a Datsun round some track in Germany?

Because it makes you feel special. Not in the eyes of others - I couldn't give a stuff about what anyone thought about me if I was driving one because i'd just be grinning like a cheshire cat with every mile I clocked up.

(Subaru - )
Old 11-25-2008, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by MarkB,Nov 25 2008, 10:23 AM
and wasn't as fast as a Datsun round some track in Germany?
It's a Nissan, not a Datsun.

You might as well call it a Renault, but 'Datsun' is Top Gear speak.

Datsun GT-R vs Volkswagen Beetle GT2 if you must compound the Clarksonisms...
Old 11-25-2008, 02:07 AM

Well Nissan were joined by Renault, and it's improved reliability.

That says a lot.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Hypersonik,Nov 25 2008, 10:30 AM
It's a Nissan, not a Datsun.

You might as well call it a Renault, but 'Datsun' is Top Gear speak.

Datsun GT-R vs Volkswagen Beetle GT2 if you must compound the Clarksonisms...
'Datsun' is what those of us old enough to remember the 240Z and the 120Y have always called Nissan.

And it's used to make a point, that seemingly went right over your head.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by MarkB,Nov 25 2008, 11:08 AM
'Datsun' is what those of us old enough to remember the 240Z and the 120Y have always called Nissan.

And it's used to make a point, that seemingly went right over your head.
I know where Datsun came from - My Dad had a Datsun Bluebird, then a Nissan Bluebird

If the point you were trying to make was about the differences between the heratige of the two Marques, then I got it, but thought of it as inconsequential.

ATEOTD, I just find it funny that 'Datsun' turned round and said 'Hey, lookey here! We have produced a car that is faster than a Porsche Turbo, for 50% of the price!'

And porsche responded by saying 'They lied about their times. Who cares - We are Porsche. Ahh, but look at our new GT2 - that is faster than a GT-R...My Dad is harder than your Dad.'

If Porsche really were the engineering company they used to be, they be churning out the Cayman Turbo for
Old 11-25-2008, 02:53 AM

Anyone know the cost of producing a GTR? Maybe Datsun is selling them at a loss / minimal profit because they can since they sell trucks, and really bad automobiles like the sunny etc., where they can recoup their loses. Porsche, as far as I know, only sells performance cars and an suv, so they can't stuff there losses somewhere else. Maybe.

It is the mantra cry of the young though, to worship the cheaper stuff out of japan (like evo, sti etc., gtr) that can beat up on the high priced exotics. When young and now starting one's professional life with little to one's name (save for old money and drug dealers), one can't see one's way into a Ferrari, Omega or Porsche, so you just slam against them with "xyz (jap) car is as fast at 1/4 the cost...". That cry is so tired.

I can't wait for the obviously to be overpriced Honda NSX replacement. It probably won't be any faster than the GTR, but I would much rather be in that than the GTR as I work my way towards the Euro trash.

Quick Reply: GTR v GT2