Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Good news - Kimi Raikkonen is leaving F1

Old 11-18-2009, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Good news - Kimi Raikkonen is leaving F1

Some regard him as an excellent driver, but I think he is the biggest under achiever who has rested on his laurels.

He was hoping to go to McLaren but was too expensive, so they've signed the 2 most recent F1 champions instead

Adios Kimi, your interviews will not be missed

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...one/8365967.stm
Old 11-18-2009, 03:31 AM

that should be good for next year.

hopefully some senna prost type goings on.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:40 AM

Possibly the dullest man in world sport.

Makes Nigel Mansell sound like Brian Blessed.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:41 AM

i had a chat with mansell once.

he made his engine blowing up sound really dull.

so i made an excuse and buggered off.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hurray

I never liked him, and I always felt he could never be that bothered if the car wasn't run just how he wanted it. It was like watching a petulant child driving a F1 car.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:57 AM

I wouldn't agree that he was boring - some of his off circuit antics were amusing.

However, I would agree that he'd got bored and really wasn't trying anymore. How anyone could justify the salary when they couldn't be bothered to try their hardest made me annoyed.

Plus the fact that although Massa helped him win his title, because of Kimi's poor performances last year and therefore taking less points off Hamilton, he was unable to return the favour.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by dinibird,Nov 18 2009, 12:57 PM
I wouldn't agree that he was boring - some of his off circuit antics were amusing.

However, I would agree that he'd got bored and really wasn't trying anymore. How anyone could justify the salary when they couldn't be bothered to try their hardest made me annoyed.

Plus the fact that although Massa helped him win his title, because of Kimi's poor performances last year and therefore taking less points off Hamilton, he was unable to return the favour.
I've got to agree here.

Probably one of the most naturally talented of the current crop of drivers. I think his motivation has gone, the team seeming to support Massa over him in 2008 and a poor car in 2009, when motivated he could drive the car faster than it ought to have gone - Belgian GP this year, for example, on a circuit he sees as a challenge...

Yes, he is pretty dull when interviewed but I can really hold that against him.

If he can find a drive in a decent Rally Car next year it could make the WRC more entertaining...
Old 11-18-2009, 08:43 AM

Mind you, I think Kimi has a sense of humour occasionally. When Schumacher left F1 and there was a gathering on the grid for Schumi before the start of his last race. Martin Brundle later asked Kimi why he hadn't been there, and Kimi said "I was taking a shit"
Old 11-18-2009, 10:24 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Simon W,Nov 18 2009, 05:43 PM
Mind you, I think Kimi has a sense of humour occasionally. When Schumacher left F1 and there was a gathering on the grid for Schumi before the start of his last race. Martin Brundle later asked Kimi why he hadn't been there, and Kimi said "I was taking a shit"
sort of funny if it had been private but rather crass and vulgar when broadcast

I used to like/admire Kimi but gave up on him a couple of years ago

good riddance as far as I'm concerned
Old 11-18-2009, 11:43 AM

Gutted

Kimi is an enigma, wrapped up in a paradox.

I'm really dissapointed with this result, and illustrates that he perceives F1 as nothing more than a day job. So dissapointed he didn't take the Mclaren job and preffered to pick up more money by leaving F1.

He had the ability to deliver several more championships, but I guess his heart wasn't in it anymore. I think he also would have given Hamilton a really good fight, and bested him ultimately.

He wasted away at Ferrari, and never imposed himself enough to make a difference to the cars development. Look back a few years and he was fantastic in the Mclaren - look at suzuka where he forced his way from the back of the grid.

He's anything but boring. He was the most interesting driver in F1 bar none. You just had to dig a little deeper than the thin veneer of personality of most modern F1 drivers.

What a waste.

Quick Reply: Good news - Kimi Raikkonen is leaving F1