General Bike Whoring

Old 10-29-2006, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

General bike
Old 10-29-2006, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Busamav,Oct 29 2006, 04:11 PM
no , an Abba stand is so superior you will never use anything else
: I've had an ABBA Pro stand since '97 - bought it from M&P for my TL1000 so it came with the inserts (plus a couple of other sizes) to fit the swing arm pivot bolt recesses. Then used it for my 955 and bought the inserts for this even though I had a single arm rear stand with the bike. Then lent it to my mate to use for his GSXR 750 as I had a Husqvarna c/w box stand so didnt need it at the time. Have now got it back for my ZX7R which luckily matches the pins already bought.

Excellent for both rear wheel off / chain lubing etc as well as front wheel off with jackstands (weigh down rear when on stand to lift front off floor and slide stand supports in - saves on seperate front stand). Once youve got it set up for the width of the bike - can be a bit of a pain sliding it under the bike avoiding catching the base brackets - but once in place the telescopic lifting arm makes it really easy to lift the bike up without fear of dropping it - hated using the old paddock stands with 'cupped' supports at the rear of the swing arm in case the bike started to go!
Old 10-29-2006, 02:52 PM

Re Chain Maintenance...

I wouldn't get too anal about it...I have never had to replace a chain on my newer bikes...

Have done on older ones but we are talking about after tens of thousands of miles...

My personal habit is every time I ride the bike I stick my boot under the chain and check it's about right. As stated you looking for no more than say 2.5 inches of slack. A tight chain will do more damage that a loose one BTW.

If you need to adjust it just follow the instructions in the handbook...you don't need a centre stand...at least not any any of our three bikes (ZX6R, SV650, Monster 900)

As for lubing, modern chains are sealed and a lot more easy to take care of than in the days I used to spend hours lubing my chain meticulously with an oil can. (Which reminds me it is 30 years ago almost to the day since I got my first bike (Albeit I was 10...)

Anyway modern chain lubes are miles better than bog standar oil so in all honesty if you ride in the dry I wouldn't worry to much and just check every now and then it doesn't look dry. If you ride in a downpour maybe give it a quick once over with the spray.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:09 PM

See the ZZR1400 on Fifth Gear?

156 mph - pathetic
Old 10-30-2006, 12:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Probably still in 4th gear.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, do you think that CBR600 seems like a good price? I was thinking of
Old 10-31-2006, 12:00 AM

Try here Parkers Used guide - there might be other stuff on the "Mostly Crap and Nonsense" website re the bike too if you've not already looked here.

People don't say great things about build quality of Kwaks, but if there was one that you were keen on it would still be worth having a look IMO.

Are you keeping it outside or in a garage? If it's only getting dry road use and is kept garaged, then susceptability to rust is less important.

You can keep a bike in very good condition if you make a bit of an effort judging by what I saw when I was looking at VFRs. Mine is 8 yrs old, high mileage and seems to be in very good nick - I saw a few more recent models with lower miles that looked quite tatty
Old 10-31-2006, 12:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt worry about the build quality of any of the Big 4 jap builders, they will all please you .
Old 10-31-2006, 12:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, the bike will be tucked at the end of my garage (tidy up will be involved!) and it will only be out in the rain if I'm caught out! I've read a few MCN reviews and the 600s seem all much of a muchness, with the nod going to the R6. They also describe the 750s as almost the perfect bike, but mine woulld essentially be a weekend toy so I'm not sure the additional cost (both in terms of insurance and initial outlay) areworth it, plus of course I'm only a wobbly beginner!
Old 10-31-2006, 12:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paper Lawyer,Oct 31 2006, 09:20 AM
They also describe the 750s as almost the perfect bike,
The latest gixxer 750 has awesome performance and looks.

Last time at the track, one ( stock out of the crate ) went through the trap at over 180

Quick Reply: General Bike Whoring