Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

General Bike Whoring

Old 02-07-2015, 10:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another update! Bought a bike today. Although wont be collecting it until March sometime.

30min test ride, and it is really nice. Also seems to have enough power for what I want. Very happy with it.

Comes with a few bits already done that I was going to do,

Exhaust, hand guards, manual chain tensioner, LED tail tidy.

The exhaust is also fairly tame, but had a decent thump to it. Not that the iPhone captured the sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pbz...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-07-2015, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doyal
Another update! Bought a bike today. Although wont be collecting it until March sometime.

30min test ride, and it is really nice. Also seems to have enough power for what I want. Very happy with it.

Comes with a few bits already done that I was going to do,

Exhaust, hand guards, manual chain tensioner, LED tail tidy.

The exhaust is also fairly tame, but had a decent thump to it. Not that the iPhone captured the sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pbz...ature=youtu.be
That looks very cool. I really fancy a go on a supermoto!

Bored today and ended up in a Honda dealer. Very nearly bought a brand new VFR800. Rode to work the other day and it was -4ºC. My balls and fingertips were freezing! I thought I'd go and have a look at some fairing options and VFR seemed like a good option, especially if I need to commute further.

They had a nice Pre-Reg one in black with 3 miles on it. Numbers were good but they didn't have one I could test ride so there was no chance I was doing the deal. Shame, because the seating position was great and the instrument cluster looked ace.

Thinking about it I might just get a second hand older VFR800 instead of spooging £10k on something that'll be worth 3.5k in 3 years. I still have to spend on a sports bike as two bikes are the way to go.

Off to the MCN bike show at the ExCeL centre on Friday so I'll see what's about.

Ooh, and came across this article on tyres which I enjoyed:

http://biketrackdayshub.com/motorcycle-tyre-wear-guide/
Old 02-08-2015, 09:57 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Nice bikes Ron but they're not light. 10k on a new bike? I'd rather have one fun bike and one boring car and pocket the spare cash for fungrades on the bike
Old 02-09-2015, 03:03 AM

Yeah, they are 240kg wet which is a good 40kg heavier than my bike.

However, it doesn't need to be a rocketship, just something that works.

£10k is a lot to spend on one which is why I'm thinking a 2010 model to commute on and a sportsbike to play on.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:08 AM

I've seen some really clean ones going for <5k too and they seem very comfortable. I'm still sticking to one car and one bike though, just cannot be bothered with more insurance / tax / MOT hassle than that.

When you see some folk spanking 20k + on a BMW GS1200 you really have to question the logic unless money really is no object, however if that was the case, how come you always see them crying 12 months later when it's worth half that as a tradein.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice buy with the DRZ400SM, I really need to get a set of SM wheels for mine but they are silly money
Old 02-09-2015, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by unclefester
I've seen some really clean ones going for <5k too and they seem very comfortable. I'm still sticking to one car and one bike though, just cannot be bothered with more insurance / tax / MOT hassle than that.

When you see some folk spanking 20k + on a BMW GS1200 you really have to question the logic unless money really is no object, however if that was the case, how come you always see them crying 12 months later when it's worth half that as a tradein.
I don't understand the appeal of these adventure bikes TBH. Is it all because of McGregor and Boorman's antics? The 1200GS is the best selling bike in the UK but I rarely see them on my travels.

That new MT-09 Tracer is the bike to have as a true jack of all trades bike (apart from delivering fun which it is a master of apparently). That and it costs under 9k.

I'd have one (just been called by Bill Smith in Chester telling me the Demo bike has arrived) but it's the fairing that interests me now.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:51 AM

Makes no sense to me. I watched someone take my bike for a spin who is way more talented than most people i know, 500CC / 55bhp in the right hands is plenty quick enough.

Depends what you want from your biking i suppose? I have no interest in chasing Marquez down and brand whoring doesn't interest me, nor does expensive options lists so it's down to how much do you have to spend to enjoy it.

I enjoyed the S2000 as my daily for 5 years. I enjoy the Aygo as my daily for different reasons and I enjoy the CB500 for what it is. I get on that and I don't miss the S2000 for a second. I can't imagine i'd have £19000 more fun on a GS1200. Maybe i'll want something bigger / faster in a year or two but not massively so as there's a limit to how much 'fun' you can use on the public roads and track days aren't my bag. I have a mate who is happy as long as he's riding a bike, any bike, he doesn't care what - it's being on a bike that makes him smile.

I guess what i'm getting at is that I don't feel I need to blow more than about 3k on a bike to put a smile on my face that will last a lifetime.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by unclefester
Makes no sense to me. I watched someone take my bike for a spin who is way more talented than most people i know, 500CC / 55bhp in the right hands is plenty quick enough.

Depends what you want from your biking i suppose? I have no interest in chasing Marquez down and brand whoring doesn't interest me, nor does expensive options lists so it's down to how much do you have to spend to enjoy it.

I enjoyed the S2000 as my daily for 5 years. I enjoy the Aygo as my daily for different reasons and I enjoy the CB500 for what it is. I get on that and I don't miss the S2000 for a second. I can't imagine i'd have £19000 more fun on a GS1200. Maybe i'll want something bigger / faster in a year or two but not massively so as there's a limit to how much 'fun' you can use on the public roads and track days aren't my bag. I have a mate who is happy as long as he's riding a bike, any bike, he doesn't care what - it's being on a bike that makes him smile.

I guess what i'm getting at is that I don't feel I need to blow more than about 3k on a bike to put a smile on my face that will last a lifetime.

I have 105bhp from my 600 and that is PLENTY enough power for the road. Granted, you have to spin it up and it does it's best work past 9k revs, but it's not really an issue.

I can't see the need for more power because I see no need in sustained travel above 150mph.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:20 AM

Buy a naked bike and unless you glue your hands to the bars, you'll not want to see much more than half that

Quick Reply: General Bike Whoring