Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

General Bike Whoring

Old 01-16-2015, 12:55 PM
Community Organizer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Hale
Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus' timestamp='1421368836' post='23469821
Anyway, was doing about 90 in 6th just cruising on the M6. Gust of wind hit me side on and blew me a couple of feet across the lane onto those tar strips that they use to join the tarmac sections together. It was wet and the rear wheel spun up a treat meaning the cars behind had a nice tankslapper show! Woke me up a bit
Have you tried counter-steering yet?

Useful in the scenario above.

Hey Dan,

I usually find that leaving the bike in my garage in these sh1t weather conditions solves the problem

Cheers

Martin
Old 01-16-2015, 01:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Picked it up today... Sounds so much better.... Chain tensioner was kind of still ok but worth a change all the same, plugs were a bit black too.... But the secondary breather pipe had cracked chasing it to be more noisey than normal too... Didn't expect that... The tensioner is in a bit of an awkward place and id rather they do that rather than me.... Plugs aren't too simple really so just feel more confident if they do it for now....
Old 01-16-2015, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by blue monster
Originally Posted by Dan Hale' timestamp='1421399877' post='23470231
[quote name='Ultra_Nexus' timestamp='1421368836' post='23469821']
Anyway, was doing about 90 in 6th just cruising on the M6. Gust of wind hit me side on and blew me a couple of feet across the lane onto those tar strips that they use to join the tarmac sections together. It was wet and the rear wheel spun up a treat meaning the cars behind had a nice tankslapper show! Woke me up a bit

Hey Dan,

I usually find that leaving the bike in my garage in these sh1t weather conditions solves the problem

Cheers

Martin
[/quote]

Its rides like that, that make you feel grateful when you arrive where you're going.... Usually the toilet!!!
Old 01-16-2015, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Hale
Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus' timestamp='1421368836' post='23469821

I had my left elbow resting on the tank at the time! So yes modulating the throttle whilst holding a tankslapper one handed on a windy wet day you best have an idea on what to do

The worst thing to do is over react, same in a car. The castor of the bike front wheel will do most of the work it's subtle adjustment and deciding how much throttle adjustment you need. When I first started riding, unbeknownst at the time, I was getting high speed wheel imbalance and thus oscillations, from a pressure reading valve cap that caused the valves to bend under the centrifugal force. That's how I had both my front a rear tyres go completely flat on me, the rear was whilst cornering past the truck when it went all wobbly! Anyway, you can't react to a high speed wobble - you only make it worse so I found that by turning your body into a harmonic damper by simply pulling hard on the bars, this changed the resonance and stopped the wobble

You wouldn't really come up with that solution unless you have studied engineering of somesort, but it's stuff like that that has helped me acclimatise quickly along with some very useful tips from my instructor and Daytona-Dave.

You have to countersteer over 18mph anyway. People think leaning steers the bike but it doesn't (well, it does but not a lot). When people lean they countersteer without realising.

What actually happens is that countersteer initiates the turn and then you swap over to normal steering in the turn. Again, the castor is what helps you feel this.

I do a lot of miles with a pillion and your steering has to be very good in order to get the bike to react. That way I can keep my body upright, stop the pillion from trying to move and have complete control. People say riding in the wet makes you a better rider. Riding two up in the dark, snow, and wind with a visor full of road slime makes wet riding a doddle.

And after all that I nearly dropped the bike today whilst stationary at a set of temporary lights as my foot slipped on some gravel!

Typical!

EDIT

Something to read on why countersteering works:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect
Old 01-16-2015, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Doyal
Spent the day training on the "big bike" the er6n. I am a convert to the form of two wheels, what a fantastic way to enjoy our roads. Thank you for the advice above. Being smooth really helped. I have booked my 'Mod 1' for 26th, then hopefully 'Mod 2' the week after.

I'm the gorm on the green one! Looking into buying gear now, I have the helmet & gloves, but need to buy some trousers & a jacket.

Have any of you used motostorm.it? there are mixed reviews online.

Really like this one - http://www.motostorm.it/en/details.asp?articolo=6241
I use FC Moto:
http://www.fc-moto.de/en_GB

But if you can get to a bike show you'll get a massive discount on gear.

Make sure you get a touring jacket if you plan to use your bike in all seasons.

I'll be going for some Rukka gear next:

http://www.fc-moto.de/Textile-Jacket...extile-Jackets
Old 01-17-2015, 03:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Doyal, don't forget some good boots. That and nice warm supple gloves will improve winter road riding no end ( not that I do any! )

Ultra nexus - I think the best way to improve your riding in general is motocross style rides. The bike is permanantly moving around, sliding everywhere, jumping you learn genuine counter steer in the mud!
Old 01-17-2015, 07:10 AM

I got my RST 2pc leathers and some boots from the bike show, last day sales... Great deals boots were £50!!!

I ride all year any weather have textile, touring jacket and trousers, thermal underwear gloves gloves, balaclava, neck scarf. Much prefer my leathers with layers of its not icey cold though.

I remember dropping my bike when learning u turns in my lessons on a 500, I let it down stamped around, waving arms fing and blinding and pointing at the bike... Then realised I'm the rider it's all my fault... My instructor thought it was funny, bike had engine guard bars etc so no real issue. Practise makes better....
Old 01-17-2015, 08:50 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Sometimes the mark of a good rider is one that decides to leave the bike at home. Especially when the bike is just for fun and you have the use of a car.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by razzele
Ultra nexus - I think the best way to improve your riding in general is motocross style rides. The bike is permanantly moving around, sliding everywhere, jumping you learn genuine counter steer in the mud!
Yeah but you don't have the mass or the speed to contend with and the tyres don't have the same properties. I'm all for riding though. Remember that countersteer and opposite lock (like in a car) are two different things - one is within the realms of grip and the other is for slip angles

Originally Posted by unclefester
Sometimes the mark of a good rider is one that decides to leave the bike at home. Especially when the bike is just for fun and you have the use of a car.
My bike is my only mode of transport, the Mrs has the car. And yes if the snow is heavy enough I will leave it at home.

Finished changing the chain and sprockets today:

Nice gold DID chain - Bling Bling!

Not so bling bling for the rest of the bike:
Old 01-18-2015, 01:12 AM

Lovely chain i have the DID super heavy duty x ring, in gold.

You could give it a clean....

It's always risky on the bike, as long as you're careful, prepared (well clothed) and happy to stop id needed... It's all good. Obviously snow and ice is a no go.... And in frost be very careful (eyeballs on storks)

Quick Reply: General Bike Whoring