General Bike Whoring

Old 11-01-2014, 07:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well done UF, welcome to the gang !

Old 11-01-2014, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester
Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus' timestamp='1414833283' post='23390034
I know I sound biased, but go for a CB600 instead. You get a revvy four instead of a parallel twin.
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a98cf66cc

And give it a few months before your trackday. You need to find your feet properly and practice some skills - mainly throttle control.
Throttle control I'm happy enough with
Yeah. No. That is not throttle control, that's holding the throttle and slipping the clutch.

As for your bike, the CB600F is carbs, no ABS, no TC, but a better bet than the 500 because it's a revvy four and it has a bit of oomph to it to keep you interested.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:04 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
Originally Posted by unclefester' timestamp='1414848825' post='23390123
[quote name='Ultra_Nexus' timestamp='1414833283' post='23390034']
I know I sound biased, but go for a CB600 instead. You get a revvy four instead of a parallel twin.
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a98cf66cc

And give it a few months before your trackday. You need to find your feet properly and practice some skills - mainly throttle control.
Throttle control I'm happy enough with
Yeah. No. That is not throttle control, that's holding the throttle and slipping the clutch.

As for your bike, the CB600F is carbs, no ABS, no TC, but a better bet than the 500 because it's a revvy four and it has a bit of oomph to it to keep you interested.
[/quote]

And if I don't want revvy?

I've been learning on a twin that didn't need to be revved - i'll be quite happy with the CB500 until it is time to change it for something else. Throttle control comes with practice and much like a car, the more you use it, the better you get at it. Something cable controlled will be entirely different to something that's fly by wire.

I want to learn what i'm doing with an analogue twin because twin for now is my thing. Revs can come later.

I should add, i'm not intending on keeping this for more than a year, maybe less and the 'next' thing i get will most likely be something far more modern - i just don't think that 'expensive' and protected by FREDS is a good place to start learning. Call me old fashioned but i'd rather have a grasp of what is doing what without those things in place.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:56 AM

Gave the faithful a clean including degreasing the chain and cleaning out the front sprocket which was plastered in sh1t.

ACF50'd the entire bike because it probably won't be getting washed till January now, but I'm confident it'll do the job.

Coming back from the garage the other day. I like giving it some whenever is appropriate. So I overtake a few fellow bikers in a NSL - safely, give them a wide berth and wave. The next thing you know you get passed by them doing 100mph+ in a 30 zone giving you a gnats cock of space! NSL arrives and they're holding you up again. Naturally, no mirror/shoulder check, apex the roundabout to go straight on, overtaking on double whites on blind bends forcing cars to brake and no indicators. It annoys me because then I'm tarred with the same brush as these morons.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:22 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

There it is, needs a little cosmetic work but in all other respects it's spot on.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:51 AM

UN, try a pre 13 plate zx6r. Plenty about so spares widely available unlike the gsxr. The zx is as fast standard as the 750 as the gixer needs fettling to get the best out of it.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by RattyS2k
UN, try a pre 13 plate zx6r. Plenty about so spares widely available unlike the gsxr. The zx is as fast standard as the 750 as the gixer needs fettling to get the best out of it.
Yeah I have looked at the ZX6, but it depends on the bars. I'll be going motorcycle live to have a sit on a few things. I loved my mates CBR600F and could perhaps go a bit more aggressive than that.

That 2006 Daytona 675 I tried though - my wrists were feeling it after 40 mins. I really want two hours. I did 4 hours on the CBR600F and that was fine, no issues. The Hornet would benefit from lower bars so prevent numb bum syndrome.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:53 AM

The problem with all sports bikes is the bar position below the yokes is designed for racing around ie constantly moving around on the bike or cruising at 130 to take your bodyweight off your wrists.

Once you get used to the position and man up you'll be fine. It doesn't take long to adapt. There are alternative bars you can get that are a lot more adjustable and can make a sports bike comfier for day to day use.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by RattyS2k
The problem with all sports bikes is the bar position below the yokes is designed for racing around ie constantly moving around on the bike or cruising at 130 to take your bodyweight off your wrists.

Once you get used to the position and man up you'll be fine. It doesn't take long to adapt. There are alternative bars you can get that are a lot more adjustable and can make a sports bike comfier for day to day use.
Yep, either flip the clip ons over or get some heli bars - I have explored all options. Usually you have about 20mm to an inch before you start interfering with fairings.

And manning up is all well and good, but I'm not racing this bike so for a 10% reduction cornering agility, I'll trade that for a 50% increase in comfort. Getting cramp in your wrist at the wrong time isn't a good idea!

Dayonta vid
http://youtu.be/2MsXX42_1mU
Old 11-04-2014, 01:39 AM

You took my comment the wrong way lol. You get used to the bar position on sports bikes after a while even commuting on one. It's more lower back you'll find starting to complain not wrists. Once again the sports bike position suits moving round on the bike.

The zx6r isn't as long reach to the bars as a gsxr or 675.

Quick Reply: General Bike Whoring