Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

General Bike Whoring

Old 09-17-2014, 10:42 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Well that's two of my big fears conquered. Ridden to work in the dark yesterday and today, in the dark and in the fog. I'm sure this is what driving an F1 car with cold brakes feels like, to clear the visor of fog droplets you need to be doing at least 50 and to keep my nerves at bay, 50 seems like a mountain sized leap of faith on skinny tyres and with poor visibility. Amazed how wet you get in fog ( yes, i know it's water droplets ) and also impressed with how well the Pinlock visor insert works at keeping the visor fog free on the inside at least.

On the plus side, the waterproofing stuff i used on my gear has worked - might be wet on the outside but toasty and dry on the inside, dry warm hands and dry warm feet make a huge difference.

The 125 headlight is still CRAP.

Carrie - if you enjoyed it - go and do your DAS and then even if you don't get a bike, you've got the license should you decide you want to. If you don't do it soon, the fun police are going to make it even more expensive.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vixen
Just passed my CBT today - not sure I'll do anything with it
Excellent another one into the fold !

well done
Old 09-18-2014, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester
Well that's two of my big fears conquered. Ridden to work in the dark yesterday and today, in the dark and in the fog. I'm sure this is what driving an F1 car with cold brakes feels like, to clear the visor of fog droplets you need to be doing at least 50 and to keep my nerves at bay, 50 seems like a mountain sized leap of faith on skinny tyres and with poor visibility. Amazed how wet you get in fog ( yes, i know it's water droplets ) and also impressed with how well the Pinlock visor insert works at keeping the visor fog free on the inside at least.

On the plus side, the waterproofing stuff i used on my gear has worked - might be wet on the outside but toasty and dry on the inside, dry warm hands and dry warm feet make a huge difference.

The 125 headlight is still CRAP.
Dark? I presume you on nights then?or is that mornings ! Don't recognise the weather though, had no rain in the sunny west coast to speak of, sunny and dry for last three weeks, on bike everyday and even out in the S2K today ( and the top is still down with tonneau cover on )

Fog ??? what's that then ?

I am also impressed with pinlock, had one a while ago on a Rossi replica helmet but have just bought a new Caberg Duke with one on, excellent thing it is too !

Headlight crap.... are you on six volt ! have three six volters, 125/150 and 175 and they are all,, err,,,crap....
Old 09-18-2014, 01:16 PM
Community Organizer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

UF - was only saying to Ron on the weekend that a bigger bike is much easier to ride than a 125. Bigger wheels, wider tyres, more weight, etc, ultimately gives better all round balance & therefore easier to ride. Going down the road at 50 mph (where safe to do so), being careful, riding defensively, etc, is a walk in the park on a big bike vs a 125.

Get your DAS done before they rule that you'll only be allowed to ride up to 300cc for the 1st 10 years after getting your full licence ☺

Sent from my SGS4
Old 09-18-2014, 02:56 PM

Yes - very early am - out by 5.30am. Ride home in lovely sun.... Felt like a different day!
Old 09-18-2014, 03:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ive got one word....

BUUUUUUUUUUUUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!

Old 09-18-2014, 11:14 PM
jml

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by blue monster
UF - was only saying to Ron on the weekend that a bigger bike is much easier to ride than a 125. Bigger wheels, wider tyres, more weight, etc, ultimately gives better all round balance & therefore easier to ride. Going down the road at 50 mph (where safe to do so), being careful, riding defensively, etc, is a walk in the park on a big bike vs a 125.

Get your DAS done before they rule that you'll only be allowed to ride up to 300cc for the 1st 10 years after getting your full licence ☺

Sent from my SGS4
Yup bought a Honda CBF125 for the wife as her 1st bike... rode it once myself , sold it a few days later and replaced it with a CBF500 ... dangerous things they are.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:25 PM

CBF-125. The bike with the WORST gearbox i have tried. Had a new one for my CBT and felt like it had a box full of neutrals with 1st and 2nd lost somewhere in between and the longer the day went on, the worse the gear selection got. The YBR125 i currently have has been faultless in that regard, actually, it has just been fautless.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:56 PM
jml

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Didn't have any problem with the gearbox - but then again I'm not a novice. Just didn't feel save with such a fidly toy on the road. Even the wife agreed - a rare occurrence - that the 500 was superior by a rather wide margin.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:08 AM

Yeah it may well have been a noob thing - although a few other people i've spoken to had the same issue. I finally clicked with the gears yesterday, not sure what the 'change' was but somehow it has become a positive click up or down the box with no wild clutch action / frantic stabbing or pushing of the gearlever.

This for me was the sole point of the 125 - to get me to a point where i was happy with the basic controls before dealing with a bigger bike that might be more sensitive to hamfistedness

Quick Reply: General Bike Whoring