Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

General Bike Whoring

Old 07-31-2014, 02:45 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I'd be worried that pegs down ends up with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6XsByRh14I

I'm old .... and i know falling off / over hurts
Old 07-31-2014, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What the hell was he doing? He caught his peg, panicked, and then pulled his brake (remember tha circle of grip I was on about). A lot of yanks feck it up on that road.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:09 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Yup - corners seem to do that, along with target fixation. Dunno what's wrong with just going for a ride and enjoying it without all the need for pishing about with lean / scrapings
Old 08-01-2014, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by unclefester
Yup - corners seem to do that, along with target fixation. Dunno what's wrong with just going for a ride and enjoying it without all the need for pishing about with lean / scrapings
Oh yeah. I did 100 miles on Sunday and didn't get over 85 and my pegs nowhere near the floor. Was really nice just to get out too.

Stopped at the ponderosa in North Wales and had a chat with the other bikers including one guy who pulled a bird (as in furry bird ) out of his zzr1400! In one piece too!

There isn't a lot I haven't done in a car so to get on a bike and be a novice again is exciting hence pushing for all these 'firsts'. Of course this ups the risk of a first coming off. However, should emergencies happen, if I know the limits it'll give me a better chance of not panicking and believing in the bike.

It's not as if I take it lightly at all. Every time I get on the bike to go to work, I see my mate get killed I know the risks all too well and have two choices:

1) Gibbering wreck
2) Attack it

It's just how it is
Old 08-01-2014, 01:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unclefester
My view FWIW is that if you have to get your knee down to get round a corner in the UK then you are most probably riding way too fast for the road i.e. zero or minimal margin for error.

I was out with an ex Police Instructor on Wednesday. He's as fast as anyone I've ever seen on the road and there's no drama, no leaning off etc and that's on a Triumph Tiger 1050. So if he doesn't need to do it then neither do I.

As for the Yank in the Youtube clip he could easily have got round but after the peg scrape you can see his view transfer from the road ahead to the outside of the bend and from that moment on there is only one outcome.

Interestingly Mr ex Police Instructor said that as well as looking as far ahead as possible you want to keep your view up i.e. focus on the point at the same level as your head above the road.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Welshman
Originally Posted by unclefester' timestamp='1406848167' post='23268202
My view FWIW is that if you have to get your knee down to get round a corner in the UK then you are most probably riding way too fast for the road i.e. zero or minimal margin for error.

It's a bit of fun at roundabouts. Otherwise, like I said previously, there is no way you can safely do it as you'll be going too fast for the corner and won't be able to react if you see something obstructing.

As for the Yank in the Youtube clip he could easily have got round but after the peg scrape you can see his view transfer from the road ahead to the outside of the bend and from that moment on there is only one outcome.
Yeah, panic.

Interestingly Mr ex Police Instructor said that as well as looking as far ahead as possible you want to keep your view up i.e. focus on the point at the same level as your head above the road.
Hmmm, tricky this one. In the dry, yeah I agree. In the wet, disagree.

You can't see diesel till your pretty close to it hence why you have to drop your speed in order to bring your vision a lot closer to you.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
Originally Posted by Welshman' timestamp='1406885794' post='23268736
[quote name='unclefester' timestamp='1406848167' post='23268202']

It's a bit of fun at roundabouts. Otherwise, like I said previously, there is no way you can safely do it as you'll be going too fast for the corner and won't be able to react if you see something obstructing.

Yeah, panic.

Hmmm, tricky this one. In the dry, yeah I agree. In the wet, disagree.

You can't see diesel till your pretty close to it hence why you have to drop your speed in order to bring your vision a lot closer to you.
[/quote]

His point was that you can still see the road in your peripheral vision and that would include the road surface.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rightly or wrongly I chose where to look as and when I need to look.At 170 I don't need to be looking 10 yards in front of me,my focus would be half a mile or so.On the flip side I don't need to be looking half a mile in front if I'm going around a roundabout.

What I do do is very BMW car driver ish and that is I always try to take the inside line on a roundabout,my reason being that diesel spills outwards not inwards on a tight turn.

If you bare in mind that I drive trucks for a living then you will appreciate some of the things I've seen other truck drivers do,for example shoving a rag into a fully fueled 1000 litre fuel tank.You can tell these driver all you like about motorcyclist but 1st you can't educate a turd,2nd once you turn your back they do it anyway....so be careful there is always always going to be a risk of diesel spillage.If you don't see it and you may even be the best rider in the world you are off,no ifs or buts.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Toms1989
Real men ride off road

Correct

Old 08-07-2014, 06:34 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes Ryan the KX!

Looks a beauty. 125?

Quick Reply: General Bike Whoring