Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

General Bike Whoring

Old 01-26-2009, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I've got 2 bike questions for you - trying to get the trackbike roadworthy for its MOT next weekend!

1. Rear indicators - they both used to work, now neither of them do, which is weird. Checked the wiring and looks fine - would there be a seperate relay for the rears, and how do you check the relay is at fault?

2. Back brake - the pedal is really firm but more annoyingly, the brake light doesn't work when you push the pedal down. Is this likely to just be a sensor between the pedal and the light, or a sign that the back brakes aren't working?

Anyway, thats it - just got the front brake pads to change and both front and rear brakes to bleed - perhaps that will sort the rear brakes out too!!
Old 01-26-2009, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by MikeC'S2k' date='Jan 26 2009, 01:23 AM
Hi all,

I've got 2 bike questions for you - trying to get the trackbike roadworthy for its MOT next weekend!

1. Rear indicators - they both used to work, now neither of them do, which is weird. Checked the wiring and looks fine - would there be a seperate relay for the rears, and how do you check the relay is at fault?

2. Back brake - the pedal is really firm but more annoyingly, the brake light doesn't work when you push the pedal down. Is this likely to just be a sensor between the pedal and the light, or a sign that the back brakes aren't working?

Anyway, thats it - just got the front brake pads to change and both front and rear brakes to bleed - perhaps that will sort the rear brakes out too!!
The indicators and brake lights might be connected. Is there some sort of multi connector somewhere in the wiring loom to the rear end? They sometimes go all green and horrid. A general dousing in WD 40 should sort it! Failing that, disconnect and use some fine wet and dry on the conections. Brake light switches are often right down low in all the crud and work on a springy link to the brake peddle. Might need cleaning up!
Old 01-26-2009, 03:07 AM

I did think about that but the brake light works fine with the front brake lever, so I think its more to do with the brake pedal. Sadly Haynes don't make a manual for the TT, which would be useful!

Will have a look for the connector near the brake pedal - is it usually attached to the pedal itself? I do have the PDF of the workshop manual somewhere, will have to look on there!!
Old 01-26-2009, 08:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Next to the rear brake pedal (usually behind the rearset) is a switch which controls how much braking force needs to be applied to get the light to come one. You usually have to turn it to adjust it. Triumph should be able to confirm this.

Look for a spring connected to the pedal and the switch is a vertically mounted cylindrical unit about 2" in length should be attached to this.

There is only one relay for the indicators and if the fronts work, then the rears should too...I'm guessing that you have a dodgy connection somewhere. Hook a fluke up to the relay and indicators to test for continuity.

HTH
Old 01-26-2009, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by loftust' date='Jan 23 2009, 11:22 PM
Collingwood...I am a Weapons Engineer.
I was ME
Old 01-26-2009, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by MikeC'S2k' date='Jan 26 2009, 12:07 PM
I did think about that but the brake light works fine with the front brake lever, so I think its more to do with the brake pedal. Sadly Haynes don't make a manual for the TT, which would be useful!
This workshop manual here any use?

Download link at the bottom of the page.

http://www.thesparesnetwork.co.uk/fo...opic.php?t=213
Old 01-26-2009, 11:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Hale' date='Jan 27 2009, 07:33 AM
I was ME
So was the old man...34 years!
Old 01-27-2009, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by loftust' date='Jan 26 2009, 09:52 AM
Next to the rear brake pedal (usually behind the rearset) is a switch which controls how much braking force needs to be applied to get the light to come one. You usually have to turn it to adjust it. Triumph should be able to confirm this.

Look for a spring connected to the pedal and the switch is a vertically mounted cylindrical unit about 2" in length should be attached to this.

There is only one relay for the indicators and if the fronts work, then the rears should too...I'm guessing that you have a dodgy connection somewhere. Hook a fluke up to the relay and indicators to test for continuity.

HTH
Cheers lofthust! Will have a look at that then...!

Dan - I'll download that when I get home!!
Old 01-27-2009, 08:11 AM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

looking good there Dan!

Just thought I would post a pic of the latest addition to the garage!

Old 01-27-2009, 11:00 PM

Nice - hope your lid doesn't fall off the pillion seat

Quick Reply: General Bike Whoring