Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

General Bike Whoring

Old 01-15-2009, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a VFR800FiW ('98) as a first bike 3 years ago, and would agree with Mike above.

The power isn't really an issue for your first bike if you are sensible, but the weight for low speed manoeuvering is IME.

I always planned for a bike that would comfortably do a 400 mile round trip at a weekend, or a day long jaunt around the countryside while still being fun.

I thought about getting a smaller bike like a 600 streetbike initially, but decided against it as I reckoned I would want to move up to a bigger bike in 18 months or so and the cost to change would be a lot.

In retrospect that was maybe a mistake- I was so terrified of dropping my FiW that I tensed up a lot and it took me much longer to develop skills as I wasn't relaxed. I got there in the end, but it took 12 months and a few thousand miles before I actually began to enjoy riding.

Everyone is different though.

That said, I loved my FiW and would still have it were it not for a prick in a Volvo who pulled out in front of me without looking.

750 vs 800 vs VTEC is argument that Viffer enthusiasts love to indulge in - more so than S2000 MY1999 vs MY2002 vs MY2004 etc

The 750 was allegedly the best of the bunch, and many people who upgraded from the 800 to the VTEC hated it and moved back to the older bike.

If you do try a VTEC the throttle may feel snatchy at certain revs - some are OK, and some are reputedly terrible. There's a 35 page thread on the (very good) owners forum that tries to find the reason why!
Old 01-15-2009, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Welshman' date='Jan 15 2009, 08:54 PM
You can't ride that fast because, in the corners, it will ground out on the footpegs at anything more than a slight lean angle: on the straights you're arms will get pulled from the sockets at anything over 70; and anywhere because your fillings will fall out
Yep. All of that
Although they are much smoother these days.

First time out on the mway I was amazed how hard it was against the wind at 80. It's actually VERY useful IMO coz I have no other choice than to ride it "sensible". Which I'm fine with.
And it also comforts the wife to know I'm not driving like a loon
Old 01-16-2009, 01:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fletch' date='Jan 16 2009, 12:47 AM
Yep. All of that
Although they are much smoother these days.

First time out on the mway I was amazed how hard it was against the wind at 80. It's actually VERY useful IMO coz I have no other choice than to ride it "sensible". Which I'm fine with.
And it also comforts the wife to know I'm not driving like a loon
The important thing is that you like it. Not my cup of tea - been there, done it and didn't like it - but you won't find me knocking those who do.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by euan' date='Jan 15 2009, 03:01 PM
750 vs 800 vs VTEC is argument that Viffer enthusiasts love to indulge in - more so than S2000 MY1999 vs MY2002 vs MY2004 etc

The 750 was allegedly the best of the bunch, and many people who upgraded from the 800 to the VTEC hated it and moved back to the older bike.

If you do try a VTEC the throttle may feel snatchy at certain revs - some are OK, and some are reputedly terrible. There's a 35 page thread on the (very good) owners forum that tries to find the reason why!
Don't they just! My friend has a VFR750 and my VTEC does leave him straggling a bit TBH - possibly a combination of tired suspension/engine output/rider competence/experience, hard to tell.

Many think the pre-VTEC 800 is better than the VTEC, but having ridden one I prefer the VTEC model as it has sportier characteristics - horses for courses I guess! I do believe the 750's are quite a bit lighter though...

As for the snatchy throttle, my VFR is an early one, an 02-reg, and IMO is no better/worse than the gf's dad's 53-reg - and IMO, both are perfectly acceptable. Not the smoothest I admit, but by no means unacceptable - you soon adjust to the delicate touch required!
Old 01-16-2009, 05:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever the merits of the various engines, the best thing you can do with a VFR is get rid of the progressive rate OEM springs in the front forks and fit linear rate springs suited to the rider's weight. OEM springs are too soft and dive too much under heavy braking.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:01 AM

I'm really itching to get out on the bike.
But it's still TOOOO COOOLLLLDDD !!!!

It'll probably be March at the earliest
Old 01-16-2009, 05:14 AM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

layer up and enjoy some of those crisp dry fkn freezing days!!!
Old 01-16-2009, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Welshman' date='Jan 16 2009, 06:00 AM
Whatever the merits of the various engines, the best thing you can do with a VFR is get rid of the progressive rate OEM springs in the front forks and fit linear rate springs suited to the rider's weight. OEM springs are too soft and dive too much under heavy braking.
I haven't found the front forks too bad on my VTEC - even on track! The linked brakes on the ABS models like mine help with dive, but as long as you have set the suspension (as much as you can on a VFR!) then its fine IMO.

Fletch/nomadic - I went out for a ride the other day when it was dry, but at -3'C I managed about 45mins before pulling over for a coffee! Luckily, thats about right to On Yer Bike!!

That was with summer gloves and liners though - I can't stand winter gloves so don't bother with them!
Old 01-16-2009, 06:27 AM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I believe in technology and seeing all these heated jackets and gloves you can get for the bmw bikes makes you think

....fair enough you have to deal with more wires!

When I was out with the instructor all I could hear in my helmet was : "You have to get a heated jacket, the best thing since sliced bread! Im just perfect!". Needless to say after a few hours it did start wearing thin!
Old 01-16-2009, 08:06 AM

Heated clothing is for wimps! And once you start, I doubt you can stop. Heated grips are innocent enough, but then you become the sort of numpty who spends 20 mintues plugging in their heated inner soles, waistcoat, seats and gloves, not to mention their topbox-mounted kettle/thermos for when they eventually reach their destination!

IMO, bikes are great, but when its cold/slippy/icy, just get in the car and put the heater on!!

Quick Reply: General Bike Whoring