Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

General Bike Whoring

Old 10-31-2008, 08:35 AM

Received 647 Likes on 563 Posts

looks like a good day WM. corking photo's.

Interesting comments on the blade, as a n00b i've been looking and pointing at bikes , pondering a purchase (i've not actually passed my test yet ) and the view from the honda sales guy was

Blade - big softy now, the CBR 600 RR is the new blade, the 1000 RR is a really easy to ride bike and not so hardcore as it used to be. you can wheelie it all day at 140mph (he really said that)

VFR - sports tourer, felt too big for me as a first bike

the blade felt very big to me too but i'm only a wee fella.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by euan,Oct 31 2008, 01:03 PM
Interesting about the Blade - from what I had read about the new one, I had interpreted that it was more "user-friendly" than its rivals.

I guess that means you would survive for even shorter journeys comfort-wise on them

I'd love to try one, but could never see myself using one, other than for track-days, (which I don't do anyway) for comfort reasons.

The Beemer I found as comfy, if not more so, than my VFR.

Are you planning on upgrading to the K1300S?
The 08 Blade may be more user friendly than its rivals but its not a patch on my mate's 03 Blade in that respect.

I'm not planning on upgrading to the K1300S as an act of faith but I'll test ride one and see if the bang is worth the buck. It will have to be quite exceptional for it to be worth it.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2,Oct 31 2008, 04:35 PM
looks like a good day WM. corking photo's.

Interesting comments on the blade, as a n00b i've been looking and pointing at bikes , pondering a purchase (i've not actually passed my test yet ) and the view from the honda sales guy was

Blade - big softy now, the CBR 600 RR is the new blade, the 1000 RR is a really easy to ride bike and not so hardcore as it used to be. you can wheelie it all day at 140mph (he really said that)

VFR - sports tourer, felt too big for me as a first bike

the blade felt very big to me too but i'm only a wee fella.
It was a good day

New Blade less hardcore than it was -

depends on which earlier Blade you're talking about. I've only ridden an 03 which was reckoned to be one of the best all round Blades and its a lot more track focussed than that version. The 08 was easy to ride but only on a good road surface. It would be a royal PITA on a poor surface.

Not ridden a 600RR and have no intention of so doing. That is a track bike IMO.

VFR - I had a 750FT as a first bike. Very good but too soft. Current version doesn't interest me at all. I must be a big grunty bike man now with 2 1200s in a row.

As for which bike might be for you, best pass your test first and then try some out. Much will depend on what you want the bike for.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:17 AM

passed! yay.

i want the bike as a toy to have some fun with but i will use it for my 75 mile each way commute in the summer months. don't want anything bigger than a 600 to start with, i can man handle that size bike about and maybe grow into the bigger stuff if i want to.

i didnt listen that intently to the honda sales guy, when he started talking about wheelies at 140 i concluded he was a bit of a n0b. i've had a similar report from a guy here with lots of experience. his view was that the new blade is so quick it's hard to use on the road

so no touring, may use it to visit mates on a weekend. getting a test ride is going to be tough as the dealer i went to could offer that to a sub 2 years exp rider

Old 11-18-2008, 01:52 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2,Nov 18 2008, 10:17 AM
passed! yay.
Well done!

Now go take a look at a pre 05 R6 and a Honda CBR 600F. Both of those would be very good for a first bike and comfortable enough for a 75mile commute.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Welshman,Oct 30 2008, 06:49 AM
Nicer than I thought it would be. It's clearly tiny compared with my Beemer and I felt like I was sitting on it rather than in it - my knees felt as if they were up near my ears. The road surface would have to be good to enjoy the ride. On a rough surface it would be painful. I reckon the maximum time I could ride one would be about an hour.

Performance and handling on the track were very impressive. It has the same power as the Beemer - c.170bhp - but it weighs c.50kg less. One of the other riders had it up to 184 indicated on the straight. I bottled out at an indicated 165.

A friend has a 03 Blade and that is a lot more forgiving and nicer to ride - you can tour on that bike. You couldn't on the 08 IMO.
interesting what you say on the 03 blade

was talking to a mate of a mate 12 months ago and he has one, does a lot of track time but says whilst new bikes better on the track they have lost too much real world pleasantness and doesnt want to change.

bit like my 600f and newer 600s which way way better on the track but in the real world not such much faster as to warrant a change unless i was going to do at lot of track work

Old 11-18-2008, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2,Nov 18 2008, 10:17 AM
passed! yay.

i want the bike as a toy to have some fun with but i will use it for my 75 mile each way commute in the summer months. don't want anything bigger than a 600 to start with, i can man handle that size bike about and maybe grow into the bigger stuff if i want to.

i didnt listen that intently to the honda sales guy, when he started talking about wheelies at 140 i concluded he was a bit of a n0b. i've had a similar report from a guy here with lots of experience. his view was that the new blade is so quick it's hard to use on the road

so no touring, may use it to visit mates on a weekend. getting a test ride is going to be tough as the dealer i went to could offer that to a sub 2 years exp rider
Congratulations.

Wheelies at 140

Maybe on a track but on the road hat is asking for trouble.

As for the Ride article, the December issue is out now so you can read all about it.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:51 PM

i know. quality advice for a new rider eh?

i'm not interested in wheelies full stop if i'm honest. each to their own but i'm no show off.

i will get ride and have a look
Old 11-19-2008, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Following on from the awesome fun of May 2008's Spain trackday sessions.

Those of us who are going next year are doing this one. . . .

http://www.hottrax-online.com/product_info...ae03082465bb9d9

Should be a good one

All this talk of wheelies, I should probably hide my avatar
Old 11-19-2008, 08:47 AM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

As a complete change of direction, why are bike prices not falling?!?!

Quick Reply: General Bike Whoring