Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

General Bike Whoring

Old 05-02-2008, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Welshman,May 2 2008, 05:31 AM
So how is your Mid Life Crisis going?

Mine started with a VFR750 but when I got banned for 108 in a 60 I thought I'd better get something more sedate so ended up with A Low Rider. Lovely looking bike but the biggest mistake I ever made since it really didn't like corners and there are a lot of corners where I live. But still if that's the way you want to go then go for it.

Passed the motorcycle theory test comfortably on Tuesday, as you would hope after x years of driving I guess.
I've got the CBT on the 10th and the the Direct access is lined up for June IIRC.

I don't think I will jump right in for the Harley. Not sure what to go for as a first bike in 20 years But I do want something more of a cruiser than a sports bike.
I'll then probably book a Harley experience day with Riders Edge in Powys www.ridersedge.co.uk
Old 05-02-2008, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Fletch,May 2 2008, 11:57 PM
Passed the motorcycle theory test comfortably on Tuesday, as you would hope after x years of driving I guess.
I've got the CBT on the 10th and the the Direct access is lined up for June IIRC.

I don't think I will jump right in for the Harley. Not sure what to go for as a first bike in 20 years But I do want something more of a cruiser than a sports bike.
I'll then probably book a Harley experience day with Riders Edge in Powys www.ridersedge.co.uk

Stacks of choice in the bike market as I see it, and plenty between cruiser and sportsbike - you're bound to find something that suits.

(I'm going to try and test ride a Versys tomorrow, or an F800GS if I am lucky - and as a second bike to my trusty VFR .............. I don't think I'll have the S for that much longer)
Old 05-03-2008, 06:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Euan says you are spoilt for choice on types of bike.
Get your DA course out of the way and then book some test rides.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:51 AM

Your right. Ive been having a look and its difficult to know where to start.
loads to choose from.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:44 AM

And plenty within your indicated price bracket.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:00 AM

This month's "Bike" magazine has a HD 883 sportster vs CBF600 test - the more experienced of the journos testing it seemed to quite like it by the end, although not all that practical to have as your only bike it seemed.

I quite liked the Versys I tried this afternoon -felt very slow to start with, until I realised it wasn't a smooth V4 and that you had to thrash it in the lower gears - once you do that it has a surprising amount of speed, and what you lose in feel in corners, you gain in height and vision, and positioning with the wide bars. Felt comfortable with the controls etc much quicker than I expected, and seat height not as much of a problem as I anticipated.

Pretty breezy at NSL speeds, though apparently better screens should solve this.

Can understand why these sorts of bikes are becoming more and more popular - chap at Suzuki was telling me that the owner, who could have the pick of the Suzuki range, chose the V-Strom 650 as his own bike and has been touring and all sorts on it.

V-Strom 650 and F800/650GS next on the test list for me - Honda don't do anything in this area, and the Yamaha XT660 is a bit extreme.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was chatting to a tall guy last night who is going to buy a V-Strom 650 for commuting duties as it suited his large frame.

I've been tidying up the garage this afternoon and thought I'd take a few snaps of the bike as I've not got any of my own. Rear hugger, crash bungs, mini indicators and Scorpion exhaust. Yes, the centre stand needs powdercoating....

Old 05-05-2008, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Fletch,May 2 2008, 10:57 PM
I don't think I will jump right in for the Harley.
just why this sketch is so popular

I never tire of watching it

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=ukAhlxl4hmM
Old 05-06-2008, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Paper Lawyer,May 5 2008, 08:31 AM
I was chatting to a tall guy last night who is going to buy a V-Strom 650 for commuting duties as it suited his large frame.

I've been tidying up the garage this afternoon and thought I'd take a few snaps of the bike as I've not got any of my own. Rear hugger, crash bungs, mini indicators and Scorpion exhaust. Yes, the centre stand needs powdercoating....

best colour too... like mine

but mines not as clean though!
Old 05-06-2008, 11:27 PM

We're back!

And in one piece.

Absolutely awesome weekend!!!!

Too tired now to go into detail (only got back at 3am!)

Will fill you all in later, although Dan's had to go into work ( ) so will probably post more.

Quick Reply: General Bike Whoring