Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

France Trip - Ideas?

Old 06-08-2011, 02:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default France Trip - Ideas?

Hi,
We're off to stay in the Cognac area soon, a little SW of La Rochelle.
Not knowing a great deal about the region, does anyone know of the must see places & must drive roads around there?
TIA
Steve
Old 06-09-2011, 03:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove down to Perigueux for a w/end once, I took the route Rouen, Le Mans, Tours, Poitiers, Perigueux. I would imagine you will probably take the same route to Poitiers and then branch off west from there. TBH it was quite a dull trip. On the way we did it in one blast that was quite tiring. Scenery isnt great and the weather was rather murky therefore after ~700 miles it wasnt so enjoyable. Worst thing was when we eventually got there the exit to perigueux got closed because of an accident and I had 120 mile detour! cos they had not got round to connecting up any additiional exits on the motorway for another 60 miles!! I was almost in tears lol.

On the way back we split it by stopping over at an Ibis in Le Mans which made the drive a little more comfortable.

In my opinion the West has nothing on the East. I love the blast down to Dijon and beyond - you just dont get that on the west im afraid. Hopefully someone will confirm I missed the most amazing road that you can drive, if not then I'm afraid there isnt much happening mate.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try http://www.bestbikingroads.com/
Old 06-09-2011, 07:50 AM

I'm off to a place near Jonzac for 2 weeks in the S2000 at the end of July so I'd also be interested in this info
Old 06-09-2011, 01:45 PM

Thanks gents, keep 'em coming!
Old 06-10-2011, 01:24 AM

The lack of responses might be saying it all folks

Another thing - dont go on a bank holiday. Better still, dont go on a weekend that USED to be a bank holiday.
Even though is no longer is a bank holiday it still will be a bank holiday lol. In the West on a weekend that USED to be a bank holiday they shut everything - inc. restaurants! I found this out as part of my trip
Old 06-10-2011, 01:27 AM

Fair point - this time of year avoid Ascension Day it is a "bank holiday" across Europe except the UK tends to be first Thursday in June
As Nick says EVERYTHING closes!
Old 06-10-2011, 03:24 AM
jml

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by nickrg3.1
The lack of responses might be saying it all folks

Another thing - dont go on a bank holiday. Better still, dont go on a weekend that USED to be a bank holiday.
Even though is no longer is a bank holiday it still will be a bank holiday lol. In the West on a weekend that USED to be a bank holiday they shut everything - inc. restaurants! I found this out as part of my trip

So you did some highway driving and decided it was dull ?
As it happens we have a house near Sarlat. Marvellous b roads and no traffic. So although it means we have to drive with to cars i always take the S with me.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:27 AM

The Tour de France starts on July 2 not far from you, if that sort of thing inflates your tube?
Old 06-10-2011, 05:23 AM

Were going with the outlaws, and have a little place in Vendoire.
They speak French and are excellent cooks, and the house has everything self contained including the pool.
Pretty cheap too - free in fact
But we can take a couple of days out to rip up some scenery, if feeling really ambitious I may head for Millau as we missed it last time!

Quick Reply: France Trip - Ideas?