Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Fog lights

Old 12-09-2010, 04:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by veehexx,Dec 8 2010, 05:23 PM
i dont use fog in conjested areas. cars are either slow enough or close enough not to warant them - mostly down to blind other drivers thing.

once i get out into less busy roads, then on they go if required.

i've used fog more times in rain spray than i have for fog.
the S rear side lights seems less obvious than other cars on the road. cant put my finger on it, but they definately seem to be softer than some other cars.
Started off well
Using them in rain is by far the worst as it blinds even more with the rain defracting the light.

IMHO they should remove the fronts on ALL cars that will slow peps down in bad weather!
What about a proximity/movement detector on the rear to switch it off.

Interestingly a lot of new models are not fitted with them!
I think some of it is the "me too" crowd want the LED DRL look with out the cost
Old 12-09-2010, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really do not see why people get so worked up about front fog lights, they certainly appear no brighter than any HID lights to me so what exactly is the issue with them? The law is clear but I cannot say it bothers me and I do not find that front fogs dazzle more than most modern front headlights period.............
Old 12-09-2010, 06:15 AM
UK Moderator

Received 306 Likes on 262 Posts

I find foglights very useful. If they are switched on when it's not foggy, then they are a good "crap driver early warning indicator"
Old 12-09-2010, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Dec 9 2010, 04:15 PM
I find foglights very useful. If they are switched on when it's not foggy, then they are a good "crap driver early warning indicator"

That is so true.

Hammer at the ready GarethB
Old 12-09-2010, 06:58 AM

I must have good eye sight as people with fog lights on don't bother me in the slightest, they're that low in the bumpers can't see how they dazzle people ?
Old 12-09-2010, 07:13 AM
UK Moderator

Received 306 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by p800bry,Dec 9 2010, 03:58 PM
I must have good eye sight as people with fog lights on don't bother me in the slightest, they're that low in the bumpers can't see how they dazzle people ?
A lot of people find them dazzling if the road surface is wet/damp as they reflect more than ordinary headlights.

I find them an irritant/dazzling as they add to the general brightness of someone following me. I find the Audi led driving lights similarly irritating/dazzling. Badly adjusted headlamps are worse than both of course.

Rears are annoying/dazzling if you are following someone with them switched on un-neccessarily.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:43 AM

The only thing that annoys me more than foglights is these cretins who have fitted HID look alikes in non HID headlights, so without the projector so the light is just everywhere and furthermore people who have bought those cheap HID conversion kits and then not alligned them. ArghhhH!

Case in point:-
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=28839449
Old 12-09-2010, 08:05 AM

Annoys me that the rozzers are not more on the ball with this. A few £60 fines and 3 points would soon spread the word and put a stop to this.

Seemingly far easier to catch a 35mph criminal, or god forbid that 85mph luxo barge on a clear M4.

forget the dangerous muppets driving around blinding other road users.

Perhaps I am more sensitive to the lights, i've noticed over the years wearing glasses / contacts, my eyes do seem sensitive to bright lights at night. Perhaps I should start wearing my sunglasses at night....
Old 12-09-2010, 09:34 AM

I have a highly unusual biology in my eyes, at night I have extremely acute vision and can see very well without lights.
It is quite extreme, in the wife's Pug I have to put a bit of tape over the stereo to stop it dazzling me.

In daylight I can see colours but just as if you have the contrast turned down on the TV.

I get dazzled easily and I do wear sunglasses, sometimes even at night.

People who blind you with a burst of Main beam to thank you, I'll never understand.
I always turn down to sides and back to dipped instead, no dazzling.

I'm one of those people, I'm forever stopping people to tell them they have a flat tyre, a bulb out, foglights on or missing wheel nuts.
Quite often this (I believe helpful) behaviour is met with outright aggression.

Sometimes I just hate people. All of them.

My friend is right though, he says there are two kinds of people on the road.
Car users and drivers. An S2000 driver is highly unlikely to be a "user".
Old 12-09-2010, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ginge,Dec 9 2010, 06:34 PM
I have a highly unusual biology in my eyes, at night I have extremely acute vision and can see very well without lights.
It is quite extreme, in the wife's Pug I have to put a bit of tape over the stereo to stop it dazzling me.

In daylight I can see colours but just as if you have the contrast turned down on the TV.

I get dazzled easily and I do wear sunglasses, sometimes even at night.

People who blind you with a burst of Main beam to thank you, I'll never understand.
I always turn down to sides and back to dipped instead, no dazzling.

I'm one of those people, I'm forever stopping people to tell them they have a flat tyre, a bulb out, foglights on or missing wheel nuts.
Quite often this (I believe helpful) behaviour is met with outright aggression.

Sometimes I just hate people. All of them.

My friend is right though, he says there are two kinds of people on the road.
Car users and drivers. An S2000 driver is highly unlikely to be a "user".
Freaky.

Quick Reply: Fog lights