Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Fog lights

Old 12-08-2010, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2silver,Dec 8 2010, 01:22 PM
Personally, others driving with front fogs on hasn't really bothered me as long they are correctly adjusted... rears and misadjusted head lights I find far more dazzling....

do agree tho, that polite and correct driving means you only use these things in heavy fog (i.e very rarely)...
Agreed! Fog lights are ok, it is the headlights which are not adjusted/one light out/full beam on or using full beam to compensate for aforementioned broken headlight that is far more dangerous.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:34 PM

I detest fog lights and the idiots that drive round with them on when they are not required.

The only time I have used my rear fog light is when visibility is so poor I can't see any vehicles and want to make myself as visible as possible.

Got dazzled by an idiot in a 4x4 the other day who was lit up like a Christmas tree with 4 lights on the top, fog lights and headlights. Completely unnecessary.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:50 PM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Bundle of Mayhem,Dec 9 2010, 07:34 AM
I detest fog lights and the idiots that drive round with them on when they are not required.

The only time I have used my rear fog light is when visibility is so poor I can't see any vehicles and want to make myself as visible as possible.

Got dazzled by an idiot in a 4x4 the other day who was lit up like a Christmas tree with 4 lights on the top, fog lights and headlights. Completely unnecessary.

with 1 and 2.

3: did he have a fairy on top? Or couldn't you see?

edit: I automatically assumed 'he'
Old 12-08-2010, 11:32 PM
tej

As a few people have mentioned they are near pointless and mostly mis-used. And to make things worse I've seen a trend of people converting their fogs to HIDs!!!!!!!!

We got by fine when they weren't a standard option on cars years ago. But oddly enough, the trend for fog lamp users is shifting from chavs to 'normal' mums/middle aged men from what I've seen. I'm not sure if they are oblivious to it or don't realise its dumb. A few years back I was sat in front of someone with their fogs on so I put my rear one on as a gentle nudge but got a rear view mirror full of full beam! arse hole

edit: although to be honest i REALLY REALLY REALLY hate badly adjusted headlamps. The TVR is SO bad for these as it has a magnified drivers side mirror and the rear view is in line with most people headlamps! I was nearly blinded by one BMW driver a few days ago as he kept edging out towards the middle of the road so his drivers side light was always in my side mirror!
Old 12-09-2010, 12:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been driving for 31 years and have used front fog lights on a handful of occasions when driving in very heavy falling snow at night. With only the fog lights on and the dipped headlights off, visibility was much improved.

It's fair to say that it was only from the age of 26 or so that the cars I drove were fitted with them...

Front fog lights are nice to have for the very rare occasions when they're useful. I can't say I'd lose any sleep if they weren't fitted.

I use the rear fog light whilst on A-roads and motor ways when conditions warrant its use. It's always on in fog and especially so when driving in heavy rain - simply to make it uncomfortable for those behind and ensure they keep an acceptable (braking) distance from me.

I drive 30K miles per year on all sorts of roads and I can't say the inappropriate usage of fog lights usage is anything that really bothers me. Approaching drivers who don't dip their headlights are more of a 'problem' - but it's not something that I get exercised about.

IME, fog lights are just another cause célèbre for those whom consider themselves holier than though and don't have enough going on in their lives...
Old 12-09-2010, 01:22 AM

there's no law which is specific to fog lights

however, their use is specified in the Highway Code

a non-endorsable FPN for "misuse of lamps" can be issued

a bit petty IMO

Old 12-09-2010, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ginge,Dec 8 2010, 08:19 PM
My Skoda had them linked so the backs would only come on if the fronts were on.
How stupid is that?
To be fair most manufacturers have this function the other way round, I know the Alfas I've driven recently do.

You can't put the fronts on without the rears. A very good idea.
(on a side note, all Alfas - and Fiats - I've driven going back 15 years also don't allow you to leave the headlights on)

For some reason London cab drivers have a high propensity to drive with front fogs (and sidelights) on. All the time. But then again, most of them are the worst ever drivers in the world.

In the recent cold snap it was the cab drivers who were driving without lights, cutting into gaps, not indicating etc. Idiots.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:17 AM

Funnily enough I followed someone into my office this morning with her rear fog light on. I told her after she parked up just in case she wasn't aware they were on. Her response was simply, "so what", a shrug of the shoulders and she walked off.

When you get a response like that what can you do? Unless the Police start policing it and start handing out fines the majority of people won't change.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:27 AM

Spit in her coffee.....

Ok that's a bit harsh...it just really gets my goat that people are so inconsiderate....

You just cannot educate some people, which is why I return the favour when I see them and offer them my fogs and mainbeam in return.

See how they like it.

Although probably does not even dawn on them that there is anything up....they might think I am Mavis from no.27 saying hello.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by j8mie,Dec 9 2010, 11:17 AM
Funnily enough I followed someone into my office this morning with her rear fog light on. I told her after she parked up just in case she wasn't aware they were on. Her response was simply, "so what", a shrug of the shoulders and she walked off.

When you get a response like that what can you do? Unless the Police start policing it and start handing out fines the majority of people won't change.
Get a hammer on it.
If she doesn't know what it's for, she won't miss it*

* this may just as easily apply to her brain.

Quick Reply: Fog lights