Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Flashing of lights

Old 02-27-2007, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by reg,Feb 27 2007, 11:17 AM
Or some c unt who wants to use the road as his/her personal racetrack and thinks that the average road user should accomodate them?

If I want to speed then I concentrate, if I am not seeing cars in time then common sense tells me I am driving beyond my means, but then when and if I pile into something I wouldn't be looking for a scapegoat. If it's raining hard enough for wipers to be on more than once every 30 secs then I would have the ligths on, one spot of rain and a passing cool breeze is different. Same thing with the light, its common sense and I dont need others trying to express theirs through lights and motion?

Choices are great
What's the big issue about having your lights on though? I mean, why not just put them on?
Old 02-27-2007, 02:30 AM
reg

Originally Posted by Neil.H,Feb 27 2007, 03:24 AM
What's the big issue about having your lights on though? I mean, why not just put them on?
They dont work

There is no reason for them to be on and to flashed at like the car is on fire by someone I have never met p*sses me off. I can look at people making choices all day and not be bothered, why cant everyone else?
Old 02-27-2007, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by reg,Feb 27 2007, 11:30 AM
They dont work

There is no reason for them to be on and to flashed at like the car is on fire by someone I have never met p*sses me off. I can look at people making choices all day and not be bothered, why cant everyone else?
I guess it's because you put your lights on for other peoples benefit (to make yourself more visible) rather than your own. They probably found you difficult to see; ergo you have a reason to put them on.

Just playing devils advocate here.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by reg,Feb 27 2007, 10:06 AM
Flash me if there is a speed camera, an accident, an obstruction i.e. notify me of something useful.
I bet you kick yourself if a NIP comes through and you failed to see it
Old 02-27-2007, 03:09 AM
reg

Originally Posted by Neil.H,Feb 27 2007, 03:51 AM
They probably found you difficult to see

Just playing devils advocate here.
No problem.

Maybe they did, maybe they should have an eye test as it was broad daylight in good conditions. Better still they should just stay at home with a blanket over their knees the little loves, where they can read the Daily Mail and put the entire world to rights from the comfort of their DFS sofa.

If one occasion was a Rover driver and another someone attempting to break his own land speed record it kind of sums up the mentality and kn*b size we are dealing with
Old 02-27-2007, 03:17 AM

If anything increases visibility of other road users/pedestrians then it should be encouraged.

I don't see the problem with driving with lights on If there was an issue with causing a distraction having the lights on then fair play, but there isn't.

We haven't had a response from a biker yet
Old 02-27-2007, 03:22 AM
pip

I always have my headlight on when riding the bike. I think on bikes past 03/04 you cannot actually turn the light off.
I turn my lights on in the car if the visibility is poor regardless of the time of day. Actually I've got no choice now seeing as I drive a Volvo
Old 02-27-2007, 03:25 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

reg, have you checked your brake lights are working correctly?
Old 02-27-2007, 03:27 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by reg,Feb 27 2007, 11:17 AM
Or some c unt who wants to use the road as his/her personal racetrack and thinks that the average road user should accomodate them?
Is that the REAL reason so many people flash you so much?

I think the truth will out!

Old 02-27-2007, 03:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reg,Feb 27 2007, 10:06 AM
When it is dark my lights will be switched on. This means dark, not 'after 4pm' or when the street lights activate in the middle of the day.
I'm a bit unclear what you mean here. Do you wait until it is night i.e. sun has set and there's no residual light, before you put any lights on? Or do you do what some others here have suggested i.e. if your car is of a colour that taken in conjunction with the state of the light and the background so that it would aid another road user to see you a bit quicker then you put your lights on.

If the former then I think you are a twat and you are welcome to follow me home and get my opinion first hand.

However, I trust you are the latter.

Let's face it during the winter months if its overcast the light may never be good at any point during what would be classed as daylight. During dusk a dark or grey car will be difficult to pick out against a dark background.

Quick Reply: Flashing of lights