Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Flashing of lights

Old 02-27-2007, 01:06 AM
reg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing of lights

Over the last two weeks there seem to have been more than the average amount of kerknobs on the roads.

To anyone who is thinking of flashing me;

If its daylight I will have my lights off. This means they remain off if you see a black cloud and put yours on. They will remain off if a single spot of rain hits my windscreen and there is very little chance that flashing your lights at me will trigger them. When it is dark my lights will be switched on. This means dark, not 'after 4pm' or when the street lights activate in the middle of the day. Yes I know you set your nighttimes hours with these means but I don
Old 02-27-2007, 01:08 AM

Old 02-27-2007, 01:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

useful - always good to know where people stand on this
Old 02-27-2007, 01:41 AM

I'll pile in first then, if I'm in the S and it is overcast, I'll put my lights on particularly when overtaking, just in case someone in the queue decides to pull out in front.

Also on the A roads I drive it can be dangerous to pootle along in the gloom, with no lights on as overtaking points are few and far between, so I want to give the guy who has been following the caravan for thast miles, every opportunity not to crash into me head on.

Whilst I don't flash my lights at drivers who don't have then on, when conditions would (IMO) call for it.

I do tut dissaprovingly and raise an eyebrow. (it is invariable some old duffer who isn't really thinking about it.

Having said that, the Jag decides when it wants to put it's lights on and I'm comfortable with when it does it. I only override it in the driving rain, if they don't come on.

So in short, I see the need for it, but at the end of the day it's up to you to decide for yourself when to do it.

Ow my arse, that fence....
Old 02-27-2007, 01:52 AM
reg

Originally Posted by C7BLE,Feb 27 2007, 02:41 AM
Ow my arse, that fence....

9:30 on the way to work this am and yesterday. Daylight, good visibility, no rain very little traffic on an A road travelling all of 50mph (which is the prefered speed of the beater). I dont see the need for it.

Someone wants to drive at a million miles an hour and cant see me......either pay more attention or slow down?
Old 02-27-2007, 01:55 AM

Funny how moody people get about this - if it's very overcast I tend to put my sidelights on so short sighted muppets can see me better. What's the big deal about having lights on?
Old 02-27-2007, 01:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have to agree with everything above.

I was taught to drive to the road and weather conditions and to use my own judgment. So if my lights are on, it's because I think it's dark enough to require lights. The opposite applies if they are off.

I'll only flash other people who have forgotten to turn there lights on, when it's night time and they haven't noticed their lights are off because the street lighting gives them enough visibility. That and for accidents, speed cameras and the police hiding in the next layby.

I understand why people like to put them on when they overtake, that's fair enough

Lights are there to aid your ability to see the road, and to increase the chance of you being seen by someone else. A lot of people forget that second point.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:00 AM

Perfect timing.

There was a pretty nice rainstorm on the M1 on the way into work this morning.
I pulled out to overtake right into the path of some ar$e who didn't have any lights on.
With all the spray kicked up I simply couldn't see him until the last minute.

I didn't flash him though.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:05 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

It's always some c unt with a grey/silver/road-coloured car that CBA to put their lights on.

Think they're Gareth from 'The Office' on secret manouveres, or something?

If you drive a dark car fast, you should consider having your lights on at all times, since most cars are driven by David Blunkett anyway.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:17 AM
reg

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,Feb 27 2007, 03:05 AM
It's always some c unt with a grey/silver/road-coloured car that CBA to put their lights on.
Or some c unt who wants to use the road as his/her personal racetrack and thinks that the average road user should accomodate them?

If I want to speed then I concentrate, if I am not seeing cars in time then common sense tells me I am driving beyond my means, but then when and if I pile into something I wouldn't be looking for a scapegoat. If it's raining hard enough for wipers to be on more than once every 30 secs then I would have the ligths on, one spot of rain and a passing cool breeze is different. Same thing with the light, its common sense and I dont need others trying to express theirs through lights and motion?

Choices are great

Quick Reply: Flashing of lights