Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Finally replaced the S2K...

Old 04-12-2010, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally replaced the S2K...

After nearly a year of dillydallying and hopping in and out of hot hatches of various descriptions I did it.

I'm not afraid to admit that the modding has begun! First up was an S2000 stubby and I am getting the front bushes done next week at the same time as H&R Sport Springs and uprated Rogue Engineering top mounts to improve the poor rebound damping as well as a preventative measure before the springs snap of their own accord (a known issue). Im also replacing the dash trim with the OEM piano black option as I always preferred this.

This will be followed in the next few months by OEM aero sideskirts and rear spoiler to give the car some presence and try to differentiate it a bit more from normal Z4's and then hopefully a slightly fruitier exhaust and remap to take it upto approx 370+ bhp... just because it would be rude not to!

I posted up some first impressions on the Z4 forum as below if anybody is interested.

[QUOTE]Hello all

Just picked up my Z4MR this week which is a replacement for my much loved S2000 that I sold approx 10 months ago!

First impressions after handing over my hard earned were f**k me the cockpit is snug! Even snugger then I remember the S2000's being but this could be because there are 181,89732888 little buttons and switches and controls dotted about everywhere and although BMW have tried to angle them ergonomically you do have to be at least a little bit of a contortionist to reach them all I love it though, I love toys and I love gadgets and the car is packed with them:

Off the top of my head:

xenons, cruise control, professional navigation, integrated bluetooth, mp3, trip and telematics, DSC, remote operated softop (not tried yet) wind deflector, full red nappa leather, heated seats, multifunction steering wheel auto lights and wipers and more! a Boxster with this level of kit (the other strong contender) would have to be one of the newest '09 revisions. 8)

Anyway, so apart from the snug cockpit the next thing that grabbed me was the FAT steering wheel, it's so chunky, I like it but I do wonder if it doesnt subconsciously make me think the steering is weighter then it is? :wink: Actually that can be said of all the major controls, they all have major weight and heft to them - feels a little artificial but good all le same however after 5ish hours of driving I did feel pretty nackered.

The engine absolutely runs the show, first time I opened her up I very nearly s**t myself, and it revs too! I was amazed at how the torque is available from pretty much anywhere and unlike the S2000 which had a massive plateau/flatspot from about 2-6krpm this thing just pulls like a train and seemingly never ends... absolutely amazing and definitely the next level of performance that I was yearning for :evil:

One thing that definitely hinders progress is the gearbox, full throttle changes are painfully notchy and almost impossibly to do smoothly despite a number of different techniques I tried, definitely looking forward to the clutch delay valve removal im having done shortly, S2000 gearbox in its current state it most definitely aint!

Dynamically it feels good, very good. Completely different to a Boxster or S2000 it feels like a muscle car, best way I could describe it is more like a 911 in that your approach needs to be slow in to a corner and use the warp drive of an engine on the exit, the front end is a little vague (like a 911) and you're acutely aware that the back end is running the show, I remember feeling much the same thing after going from a pointy darty FWD cooper S to my s2000 (which was my first RWD car) and I think this is another level on top of that transition again, it will take me a while to readjust but I did get a fizzing sensation just behind my penis everytime I applied the throttle a leeetle too early and felt the back get excited before getting leashed by the DSC... tbh I am s**t scared of the thing ATM which is a good thing.

So thats that so far! Really feel like iv only had a fraction of the story thus far as the last 3-4 hours of my journey were on a motorway going in a straight line while it pissed it down which is possibly the worst place to be in a powerful RWD roadster and of course I havent had the roof down yet which I hope to do this weekend 8)

I think I will get the OEM strut brace next month though, definitely need the front end to be more decisive
Old 04-12-2010, 05:45 AM

Nice!!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:12 AM

one of the great engines, just watch you check nobody is around when you try a decent run through the gears

www.z4-forum.com a good resource if you haven't already found it.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:01 AM

It is a beast and to my pleasant surprise sounds much less raspy and more grumbly then it does in the M3!

I have given it a run through the gears... I ran out of road though

Thanks for the link, that's the one I have joined. So I know there are a few that have made the same change as me, would love to hear your thoughts on the transition from S to Z?
Old 04-12-2010, 09:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

These are blinding on the track.
You just dont see them out much, the demographic is more 'poseur'.

I remember a pissing wet Keevil, one sailed by me as if I was standing still in the rain.
Very capable and left a lasting impression.

Unfortunately this being an s2k board, theres a lot of blinkers still on.
For the non driving Gods out there (90% of us?) you WILL be faster in this, I promise you
Old 04-12-2010, 09:58 AM

Looks , a great choice

You'll not find many fans on here though; well, not that will admit it anyway

Done 500 miles in mine this weekend; 230 in the Dales on Saturday, followed by 270 yesterday at a Wales meet run by another former S owner.

What tyres you running? The rears look a bit strange?
Old 04-12-2010, 10:17 AM

Ah yes the tyres are a problem at the moment, I see the DSC light more then i'd like, not to worry im getting them all off in a week or two and replacing them with either Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's or RE050's, any recommendations? My favourite tyre, Eagle F1's (assymmetric or gSD3, I rate both very highly) doesn't seem to be avilable in OEM fitment.

It currently has Dunlop SP Sport 500's on the rear (crap), one OEM contisport on the O/S front (utter crap) and one RE040 on the N/S front

m1bjr, oh I don't doubt it, for starters the engine is a warp drive in itself and with my forthcoming suspension changes im certain it will be far more neautral and more settled over poor surfaces... it will take quite some time before my confidence is upto par though but i'm already signed up for a handling day next month which is something I never did in the S2k (I used to be able to really hustle it though! )

I think 9 months away from RWD made me a bit
Old 04-12-2010, 10:30 AM

I'm running the Vreds all round ATM.

I might have to experiment with the pressures (currently running standard 31F, 33R) because they seem to be squeeling alot at the moment. Maybe I'm just enjoying it more
Old 04-12-2010, 11:03 AM

I like it. I like it a lot.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:55 AM

Another M car

zzzz

Looks nice

Quick Reply: Finally replaced the S2K...