Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Fast cars

Old 05-01-2009, 09:58 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fast cars

I was was speaking to an old chap at work today, he used to own lots of fast cars in his time, but the last 5-10 years he now just owns a nice slow'ish merc to cruise about in.

He said now, with the advent of all the speed cameras, fines, dangerous driving acts, racing acts, road tax, insurance etc etc there's not much point owning a fast car as you cant really use them on the road etc unless of course you are on a track.

He said his merc has enough power to overtake a lorry or slow moving car, but anymore and you cant really use it.

I think he's got a good point.

Discuss
Old 05-01-2009, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still fun to be had.

As you get older, that sort of fun is less important (clearly in this chaps case) and enjoying motoring takes a different form.

I'm not that old yet but as I get older, I'm also looking at the "pleasure" of motoring as well as the fun/thrill of fast driving. A luxobarge appeals as much as a sports car these days. Really want one of each
Old 05-01-2009, 10:10 AM

He has got a good point - A very good point.

However, I even like driving the S slowly.

And when the opportunity does present itself, I can, and do, take full advantage.

Even if it is only 30 seconds of mad time - it helps me get through the day
Old 05-01-2009, 10:20 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypersonik,May 1 2009, 07:10 PM
He has got a good point - A very good point.

However, I even like driving the S slowly.

And when the opportunity does present itself, I can, and do, take full advantage.

Even if it is only 30 seconds of mad time - it helps me get through the day

I also like just owning it. Modding is an addiction!
Old 05-01-2009, 10:21 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

True Ron

I often have this thought which is why is struck a chord with me, however i get in the S sometimes boot it and realise its all good
Old 05-01-2009, 10:31 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Well, it's the old argument about many moderns being 'too fast'.

One can have real fun in a gutless wonder like an Elise or MX-5 or S2000, whereas a with a lot of cars you DO have to be going seriously fast before they're not as tedious as a Mercedes-Benz to drive; it was exactly the comparison I thought of whilst driving a Carrera 4.

Also, bear in mind that the old dude may not only have lost interest, a car liek an S2000 is as fast as a Ferrari was a couple of decades ago! That he might find scary!
Old 05-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajs_s2k,May 1 2009, 05:58 PM
I was was speaking to an old chap at work today, he used to own lots of fast cars in his time, but the last 5-10 years he now just owns a nice slow'ish merc to cruise about in.

He said now, with the advent of all the speed cameras, fines, dangerous driving acts, racing acts, road tax, insurance etc etc there's not much point owning a fast car as you cant really use them on the road etc unless of course you are on a track.

He said his merc has enough power to overtake a lorry or slow moving car, but anymore and you cant really use it.

I think he's got a good point.

Discuss
it sounds like the viewpoint of someone who has no ambition left in life

I think his opinion is a load of cobblers quite honestly

I live in one of the more congested parts of the country and there is still plenty of pleasure to be had on public roads

venturing outside of one's known haunts is risky and driving very fast when the roads are full is rightly asking for trouble

but apart from that, I don't see much to inhibit my fun when I go out for a blast

Old 05-01-2009, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YES!!! (And I'm nearly 49 you know!!)
Old 05-01-2009, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi,May 1 2009, 07:32 PM
it sounds like the viewpoint of someone who has no ambition left in life
Even the most hardened nuts can be broken with enough persistance.

I'm quite a way off that ATM - So much so i'm confident it will never happen.

However, he knows of a time when the roads were quiet, the law involved giving you a good clack, then sending you on your way, and targets were something you fired at.

Now if you are caught doing 100mph, it could very well end your career.

Because driving at 100mph on an open road is far more dangerous than kicking someone in the face.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:12 AM
ge2

I get where he's coming from, it's also got to do with how capable and dumbed down modern cars are.

My most enjoyable drive on the road recently was in a 1 litre Subaru Justy.

It felt quick and involving because the limits were so low and it was so loud (no one told me how good 3 cylinders sound!), I was shocked when I found out afterwards the 0-60 was about 14 seconds

I often go on about how pointless fast road cars are, but then why am I so happy to throw money away on a 20mpg depreciation monster that only has to get me to work and tow the Caterham?

Quick Reply: Fast cars