Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Failure to display tax disk - Penalty notice

Old 05-02-2014, 11:37 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by drives
Originally Posted by Nottm_S2' timestamp='1398976105' post='23139750
The thing is you have paid the same for tax as anyone else, this is just robbery

I phoned the non emergency number the other day to report a teenager on a motorbike riding illegally on a cricket pitch. Their response "there is no point in our attending, he will ride off and we're not allowed to pursue"

I asked what if i knocked him off to avoid him running someone over

"Then we will arrest you"

Basically, before you consider talking to the cops you must realise they are c@#ts. You will be made to pay.
Bit of a sweeping statement. Still the first people you'll no doubt call when you're in real trouble though, and the majority of police will bust a bollock to help you if you (god forbid) are a victim of serious crime
I'm sure there are good coppers

But I won't be wasting my breath calling them again tbh
Old 05-03-2014, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are good Coppers. But for every good one, there is a jobsworth.

As RichMC has said, no one cares what happened or how it happened. All they care is that it did happen.

From the government website:

'You must display a tax disc on the passenger side (kerb side) of the vehicle’s windscreen. If there’s no windscreen or you have a motorcycle or sidecar, you should display the tax disc on the kerb side of the vehicle.'

And here is my entirely legitimate defence based on your situation:

According to the above statement you must display your tax disc. The tax disc doesn't need to be readable, just needs to be displayed. As such, if any part of that tax disc was visible, then you can argue that the tax disc was displayed.

F uck them at their own game and their idiotic law.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To try and give some practical advice on this, I'm not an expert of traffic but 100% go into your local police station presenting the valid tax disc and explain the mistake (this is assuming it was police who issued it? As above not an expert on this but can traffic wardens issue FPNs for this? Highly unusual for police to go round checking tax discs). I would get this done asap. Might work, might not. Police don't write the law and contrary to the above the jobsworths are few and far between; trouble will be as RichMC says whether its in process and no-one being able to do anything about it now but worth a go.