Failure to display tax disk - Penalty notice

Old 05-02-2014, 04:49 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by lower
Originally Posted by richmc' timestamp='1398975676' post='23139734
[quote name='D7PNY' timestamp='1398951252' post='23138922']
[quote name='lower' timestamp='1398949060' post='23138863']
Is there an appeal procedure?

As you had paid for the tax disc at the time of the offence and had merely put it behind the previous disc in error it was a genuine mistake and therefore i don't see how you could worsen your situation by appealing.
I would be inclined to agree with this. You attempted to display the disc so worth a punt in my eyes. Nothing to lose.

Cheers,

Dave
Sorry it's cut and dry, if you fail to display you will be fined £100, if you decide to appeal and take it to court you will pay the £100 plus costs for your say In court. As I said it has nothing to do with the fact that the tax has been paid. As for nothing to lose you will double or triple the cost of the original fine.
[/quote]

That's not true though is it. You have a 14 day exemption where you cannot be prosecuted for failing to display a tax disc if you have applied for a new one on line before the original expired and are waiting for delivery.

I would write to the issuer of the offence letter explaining the circumstances. If you do a search on the net you will find a number of people who've done this and had the offence canceled before it goes to court.
[/quote]

The OPs tax ran out end of March, he posted on here May 1st, so I assumed it was well after the 14 day period, if it was within 14 days he wouldn't have been served the fine but received a warning.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

He said above that he did not apply before expiration. That is the core here. Keep up lower.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:00 AM

No assumptions are required. The op was asked and answered clearly. He bought new AFTER expiration. It's on an early post.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
Originally Posted by lower' timestamp='1399025421' post='23140494
[quote name='richmc' timestamp='1398975676' post='23139734']
[quote name='D7PNY' timestamp='1398951252' post='23138922']
[quote name='lower' timestamp='1398949060' post='23138863']
Is there an appeal procedure?

As you had paid for the tax disc at the time of the offence and had merely put it behind the previous disc in error it was a genuine mistake and therefore i don't see how you could worsen your situation by appealing.
I would be inclined to agree with this. You attempted to display the disc so worth a punt in my eyes. Nothing to lose.

Cheers,

Dave
Sorry it's cut and dry, if you fail to display you will be fined £100, if you decide to appeal and take it to court you will pay the £100 plus costs for your say In court. As I said it has nothing to do with the fact that the tax has been paid. As for nothing to lose you will double or triple the cost of the original fine.
[/quote]

That's not true though is it. You have a 14 day exemption where you cannot be prosecuted for failing to display a tax disc if you have applied for a new one on line before the original expired and are waiting for delivery.

I would write to the issuer of the offence letter explaining the circumstances. If you do a search on the net you will find a number of people who've done this and had the offence canceled before it goes to court.
[/quote]

The OPs tax ran out end of March, he posted on here May 1st, so I assumed it was well after the 14 day period, if it was within 14 days he wouldn't have been served the fine but received a warning.
[/quote]
The OP said he bought a new tax disc a couple of days after the old one expired but inadvertently hid it behind the expired tax disc.

Keep up Carper!
Old 05-02-2014, 05:07 AM

Re read what you have typed above. I will quote it :

You have a 14 day exemption where you cannot be prosecuted for failing to display a tax disc if you have applied for a new one on line before the original expired and are waiting for delivery.

The op has not, as we established earlier, applied for new online or otherwise, Before the original expired.

Keep up, please lower.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper
He said above that he did not apply before expiration. That is the core here. Keep up lower.
That's irrelevent. My comments were in response to Richmc's statement that 'if you fail to display you will be fined £100'.

That statement is not correct.

Furthermore, the OP loses nothing more than his time and a few pence's worth of postage by writing and explaining how he had a valid tax disc at the time of the non display to the prosecuting authority.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:09 AM

You are dodging the issue. It is relevant. The op had expired tax. Attention will be drawn to this.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
The thing is you have paid the same for tax as anyone else, this is just robbery

I phoned the non emergency number the other day to report a teenager on a motorbike riding illegally on a cricket pitch. Their response "there is no point in our attending, he will ride off and we're not allowed to pursue"

I asked what if i knocked him off to avoid him running someone over

"Then we will arrest you"

Basically, before you consider talking to the cops you must realise they are c@#ts. You will be made to pay.
Bit of a sweeping statement. Still the first people you'll no doubt call when you're in real trouble though, and the majority of police will bust a bollock to help you if you (god forbid) are a victim of serious crime
Old 05-02-2014, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper
You are dodging the issue. It is relevant. The op had expired tax. Attention will be drawn to this.
I'm not dodging the issue. The comment directed at Richmc is a separate issue.

The op had valid tax at the time of the offence. By the letter of the law it is black and white, yet I think there is mileage in requesting leniency (albeit not through the courts)as at the time of the offence the car was legally taxed.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:03 AM

See comment 2

Although as I keep saying, the fact tax was expired will pull the wheels off this argument somewhat.

Quick Reply: Failure to display tax disk - Penalty notice