Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Failure to display tax disk - Penalty notice

Old 05-01-2014, 12:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by richmc
There's no why that you will get off with this, failure to display your tax disk is not the same as not paying for it, I've heard this so many times as a magistrate, one case where a young lady had her tax disc sitting on her desk at work for a month, she came in with proof of when it was bought, unfortunately her desk was not her car and so had openly admitted her guilt so the fine had to stand, in the OP's case he cant say the disc wasn't visible as that again is an admission.

Photographic evidence is not required, just a statement from the issuing officer.
Oh this is absolutely an admission of my stupidity, I'm aware of that.

My question was is there any point in trying to see if anything can be done or do i just accept an expensive lesson?

It seems like it's the latter.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:45 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryB
Originally Posted by richmc' timestamp='1398932506' post='23138680
There's no why that you will get off with this, failure to display your tax disk is not the same as not paying for it, I've heard this so many times as a magistrate, one case where a young lady had her tax disc sitting on her desk at work for a month, she came in with proof of when it was bought, unfortunately her desk was not her car and so had openly admitted her guilt so the fine had to stand, in the OP's case he cant say the disc wasn't visible as that again is an admission.

Photographic evidence is not required, just a statement from the issuing officer.
Oh this is absolutely an admission of my stupidity, I'm aware of that.

My question was is there any point in trying to see if anything can be done or do i just accept an expensive lesson?

It seems like it's the latter.
Sorry Gary it's going to be the latter, and I don't consider you being stupid just unfortunate, it could happen to anyone.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So no point sending Ali to the cop shop in a low cut top and push up bra to argue our case then?

That usually works when I send her to garages or the ironmongery for bits and bobs. It's amazing the free stuff you can get.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So no point sending Ali to the cop shop in a low cut top and push up bra to argue our case then?

That usually works when I send her to garages or the ironmongery for bits and bobs. It's amazing the free stuff you can get.
Hmmm I might try that myself...off to buy a (new) push up bra
Old 05-01-2014, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure we used to have an Emoticon for this:

This Thread is Meaningless Without Pictures!
Old 05-01-2014, 02:16 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Indeed!

Since they KNOW by the ANPR whether the car is taxed or not, the failure to display thing is archaic and just an excuse for the state bullies to rape another £100 out of you. Walking on the cracks in the pavement...£100.

Still, that's all they're good for, the state & its bullies. Apart from slowly turning compliant conformists into anarchists.

I want to be,
Anarchy...
Old 05-01-2014, 04:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Despite what you have read above, I have *successfully* argued against failure to display a similar item (not tax). The offence was 'failure to display' not failure to possess. It was not displayed but it was in the individual's possession.

However it was legitimate in that the individual had the item at the time he should have had it.

In your case though, as I state above, I advise you accept the fine.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:57 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Is there an appeal procedure?

As you had paid for the tax disc at the time of the offence and had merely put it behind the previous disc in error it was a genuine mistake and therefore i don't see how you could worsen your situation by appealing.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:08 AM

Still it's good to know all crimes have been solved if they found time to penalise someone for a simple error like this. Go law enforcement!!
Old 05-01-2014, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by lower
Is there an appeal procedure?

As you had paid for the tax disc at the time of the offence and had merely put it behind the previous disc in error it was a genuine mistake and therefore i don't see how you could worsen your situation by appealing.
I would be inclined to agree with this. You attempted to display the disc so worth a punt in my eyes. Nothing to lose.

Cheers,

Dave

Quick Reply: Failure to display tax disk - Penalty notice