Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

F20C engined kit car (advice wanted)

Old 11-05-2012, 11:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F20C engined kit car (advice wanted)

Hi all,

First post so try to be nice.
Basically I'm converting a Bike engined Lotus 7 replica to run a F20c lump.
I took a bit of a gamble buying the engine by having a courier pick it up without actually seeing it. Turns out the engine and box are fine, but, the main engine loom has been cut and it hasnt come with the ECU, steering column loom, ignition barrel and dash loom as promised by the seller :-( The only reason I'm not pursuing this any further is because I had the engine at a bargain price.

My question is; What would you do ? Aftermarket ECU, loom etc ? Or would you try and purchase a secondhand OEM loom, ECU, barrel etc.Im trying to keep cost and simplicity as low as possible (obviously) but I am an electrical engineer so not put off by having to rewire the loom etc.

I wanted to place a WTD add for this stuff but cant, is it because i'm a new member ?

Any advice, Links to builds etc, welcomed.

Cheers Dan
Old 11-05-2012, 11:53 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/987...o-a-westfield/

Search for posts by this member: mnr vortx f20c This is a good one to start with: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/812...#entry19381540

Old 11-05-2012, 02:36 PM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vtechead
I wanted to place a WTD add for this stuff but cant, is it because i'm a new member ?

Cheers Dan
Hi Dan,

To Post a For Sale ot Want To Buy thread in the UK For Sale forum requires you to be paid up member of S2Ki.

See the first post here

Good Luck with your build.

Bharat
Old 11-05-2012, 10:35 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Get a loom from Mikey at R-Motion and use an aftermarket ECU. You are going to have to run a non std intake and exhaust in the 7 ad that would need mapping IMO. Bonus is you will likely get some more power.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sod off the ECU and use an aftermarket one. You then can use aftermarket sensors and you don't need to bother with a loom.

You can use the stock intake manifold, but the exhaust manifold will need to be a custom jobbie and it's worth spending money on a quality equal length one.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the advice, looks like aftermarket ECU is the way to go.
I'm going to try and get hold of R-motion they dont seem to be replying to email.
I will start a build thread as soon as I have the old engine out.

Thanks again
Dan
Old 11-07-2012, 03:27 AM

If you haven't got all the bits and looms for the OEM ECU, I'd be tempted to go after-market. I'm using a DTA S60Pro on mine, and I know others have used Emerald and Omex. The DTA will use the stock sensors (had a little issue with polarity for some of the sensors, but easily solved), and I know Emerald can use them as well. Don't know about Omex. I used the original engine loom, really just to use the plugs and cables, stripping out the unused bits. I doubt wiring the engine using either the stock loom or building one from scratch would be a major issue for you. There's not really that many things to connect up.

Apart from ECU and exhaust, mine's running stock, and making stock power, as expected.

Each car is different, so you'll face different issues, so don't believe everything you read! A Westy will be different to a Dax Rush (like mine), will be different to an MNR Vortx, in terms of clearances against chassis rails, bonnet bulges, sump clearance etc.

Good luck with the project!
Old 11-07-2012, 09:15 AM

Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts

As per Pete, I'll be running a DTA S80 on ours shortly, never really got on with stock ECU's in other cars, tends to be a lot of unneeded crap in the loom!
Old 11-20-2012, 07:51 AM

I have fitted the stock ecu on my westfield.. not through choice tho- german emissions..
I wouldnt attempt it unless you can either a) get hold of the engine loom AND the complete car loom, or b) you really know what youre doing with electrics...
I had to strip back the whole car loom to all the necessary bits that feed to the ecu- I had no clue when I started, but I spend a lot of time at a computer finding out whats what....
Do you have the vacuum bits and bobs? The vacuum reservoir (I think its called) is located under the airbox in the honda, without this and the vacuum lines, the car will run with a bad idle on stock ecu- things like this become an issue and might have to be compensated... the eld (electric load distributor) will prob have to be installed, as I know mine throws an engine code if its not plugged in-and Im pretty sure the cars tick over responds to the electric load it reads, so this again something to think about...

Unless you have to fit the stock ecu for emissions regulations, I would probably go with the emerald or equivelent... Emerald seems to be good value for money, and theyve done it lots of times now-so youll get all the help you need.As far as the emerald kit itself goes-I cant help you there- no experience with it personally.
I cant imagine that it would be too difficult to get a loom made up for the engine if you cant get it off the guy- but if you look on ebay, theres one for sale which has been on for over a year-so Im sure theyll take a stupid offer!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S2000-ENGI...item4abe3eb586
Old 11-21-2012, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by westfield147
I have fitted the stock ecu on my westfield.. not through choice tho- german emissions..
Timmeh?

Quick Reply: F20C engined kit car (advice wanted)