Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

F1:: British Grand Prix Silverstone

Old 07-07-2008, 12:06 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MRmike,Jul 6 2008, 11:14 PM
I thought what I wrote was gracious? I've not put Hamilton down.

What is annoying is 'He was 6 seconds a lap faster' - at one point in the race. Who got the fastest lap again? Raikkonen.

Kimi wasn't miles away. Be careful don't get washed away with the mass of Hamilton hysteria.
Hmmm. More sour grapes.

Hamilton was miles faster in the wet and lapped Kimi. If that means that Kimi wasn't far behind i hate to think what miles behind would be!

Kimi was quicker as the track was drying before the pit stops, but apart from that Hamilton and for most of the race Hamilton was just streets ahead of everyone, including his own team mate who he lapped! 6 seconds a lap faster than anyone else on intermediate tyres for a good few laps is quite a margin.

Kimi, Massa, et al were spinning off left right and centre. Apart from one minor off track excursion Hamilton kept it on the track all the way through the race.

Ok, that's only one race but its still pretty damn impressive if you ask me!

And i agree is Dad is a media whore cock.

If Hamilton starts to keep himself out of the limelight when he's not racing (and actually give a bit less back to his fans as he puts it) then he'll do himself no end of favours.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lower,Jul 7 2008, 08:06 AM
Hmmm. More sour grapes.

Hamilton was miles faster in the wet and lapped Kimi. If that means that Kimi wasn't far behind i hate to think what miles behind would be!

Kimi was quicker as the track was drying before the pit stops, but apart from that Hamilton and for most of the race Hamilton was just streets ahead of everyone, including his own team mate who he lapped! 6 seconds a lap faster than anyone else on intermediate tyres for a good few laps is quite a margin.

Kimi, Massa, et al were spinning off left right and centre. Apart from one minor off track excursion Hamilton kept it on the track all the way through the race.

Ok, that's only one race but its still pretty damn impressive if you ask me!

And i agree is Dad is a media whore cock.

If Hamilton starts to keep himself out of the limelight when he's not racing (and actually give a bit less back to his fans as he puts it) then he'll do himself no end of favours.
It was a really good performance by Hamilton. In the wet he was faster than Kimi. Like you commented he wasn't for all the race though. I think Kimi drove a good race in the Ferrari which wasn't coping with the weather as well as the Macca - you only need to look at Massa's car to see that.

I'm surprised there wasn't more in car footage of Hamilton. I would have liked to have seen how the car was handling.

Hamilton's media coverage after the race was excellent - another thumbs up. Hid dad was an absolute disgrace again. Whinging on about the torment his family has gone through. Like Jose said 'pressure is not having anything to eat'. Exactly what torment is the Hamilton family going through? Most of it's self made isn't it?

Anyways not to end on a 'sour' note - Hamilton drove a good race.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:02 AM

I'm not sure how people are coming to the conclusion RB could have won the race if he'd taken on the correct amount of fuel.
He finished 1 min 22 seconds behind having changed to inters.
Also if the wet was still the tyre to be on at the end, he'd have put them back on.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:11 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MRmike,Jul 7 2008, 08:23 AM
It was a really good performance by Hamilton. In the wet he was faster than Kimi. Like you commented he wasn't for all the race though. I think Kimi drove a good race in the Ferrari which wasn't coping with the weather as well as the Macca - you only need to look at Massa's car to see that.

I'm surprised there wasn't more in car footage of Hamilton. I would have liked to have seen how the car was handling.
It is these kind of arguments or inferences that really annoy me.

Kimi did drive a good race, but Hamilton drove a far better race. Your inference, however, is that it had little to do with the driver and more to do with the car.

Hamilton will never win in some people's eyes, when he cocks up it's 100% his fault, when he wins, well that's because he has better machinery.

Ok let's look at the car first, he absolutely annihilated his team mate throughout the race which was even the more impressive in the first stint where he was carrying more fuel. If the Macca was so good, then why didn't Kovalainen finish second and why wasn't he closer to Hamilton ?

Let's now look at the drivers. Raikonen made quite a few errors, the biggest one being the decision not to put on a new set of intermediates after the first pit stop. Don't try and pin this on the team, after all a driver of Raikonen's calibre, you all keep pointing out how great he is, is very capable of making his own decisions on tyres as was proven to be the case with Rubens. You were all quick to jump in and put the boot into Lewis last year when he made poor tyre choices towards the end of the season and rightly so, by the same token you must accept that your guy cocked it up yesterday too.

I think that most people agree that Heidfeld drove a good race yesterday, I don't recall him spinning once and he made some good overtaking moves. He still finished 68 seconds behind Hamilton though and I suspect that Hamilton was driving well within his limits towards the end of the race. More importantly he made the exact same tyre choices as Hamilton.

Let's face it, Hamilton and the McLaren team did a fantastic job yesterday, period.
As Lower says, anything else is just sour grapes.

Anybody for cheap wine ?

Old 07-07-2008, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by MRmike,Jul 7 2008, 08:23 AM
It was a really good performance by Hamilton. In the wet he was faster than Kimi.

Anyways not to end on a 'sour' note - Hamilton drove a good race.
As I said above! Hamilton was really impressive - I stand by the fact that the Macca was easier to drive in those conditions. Raikonnen was great considering the Ferrari was an absolute pig.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:19 AM
pip

There is less grip in the wet, making machinery less important. There is no traction control now either. I don't think the Ferrari had anything to do with Massa and Raikkonen's spins.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:34 AM

So because a McLaren won the race and two Ferraris spun off loads of times.
QED The McLaren was the better car.

Brilliant.

PS the 'other' McLaren also looked poor. What's the conclusion?
Old 07-07-2008, 01:37 AM

Hamilton drove well. I've started fast forwarding through his post race commentary though - just find him quite annoying nowdays.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by pip,Jul 7 2008, 09:19 AM
There is less grip in the wet, making machinery less important. There is no traction control now either. I don't think the Ferrari had anything to do with Massa and Raikkonen's spins.
The fact that the Ferrari was oversteering all weekend doesn't indicate that it might have been more of a handful in the wet?
Old 07-07-2008, 02:24 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Massa's car was certainly a handful!

I felt quite sorry for mark webber. After his spin he was heading backwards down the straight at what ever speed with a whole load of F1 cars coming towards him at full speed and no safe direction he could spin it in to get facing the other way without being hit by the oncoming cars!

I have to say it was one of the most exciting grand prixs for a long time.

When will the FIA et al understand that reducing aerodymanic grip is the way forward for making exciting racing.

Quick Reply: F1:: British Grand Prix Silverstone