Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

driving to south of France

Old 04-25-2010, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default driving to south of France

Driving from Calais to Montpellier via Millau, how many miles a day is realistic?

The last time I did any kind of distance was on bikes and I did a 400 mile day fairly easily but how about in the Honda?
Old 04-25-2010, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quite a trek.I once did Calais to Clermond-Ferrand in a day, stayed overnight then set off for the final lap through the night to arrive Canet-Plage mid-morning.But not in an S.I think 2 stops...for me at any rate.Depends howdesperate you are to get there quickly.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by GaryB,Apr 25 2010, 01:37 PM
Driving from Calais to Montpellier via Millau, how many miles a day is realistic?

The last time I did any kind of distance was on bikes and I did a 400 mile day fairly easily but how about in the Honda?
I'd say about the same to be honest for maximum comfort.

Due to illness, last week I had to drive from Brantome in South West France back home to Staffordshire in one day. This was about 730 miles and, although the S2000 was comfortable, I wouldn't want to do it again!!
Old 04-25-2010, 02:06 PM

It can be done in a day!

I have done Collioure which is south of Perpignan to Twickenham using Eurotunnel, all 950miles in one day. I am not sure I can recommend it but it can be done in a whole days driving. Motorway driving in France is easy but as there is no cruise control in the S2000 in can make the trip tiring. I would suggest two days is quite ok splitting the journey in half.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:27 PM

I did London to (temple sur lot) Bordeaux in the S last year.

730 miles plus ferry crossing, 12 hours dooor to door. needed a few cold beers after that.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:42 PM
LTB

What's your priority ?

Just getting there or do you intend to make the journey down into part of the holiday ?

If just getting there, you could do it in one day, but you would be proper fecked at the end of it, maybe if you shared the driving it would make it easier.

If you want to make the trip down a part of your holiday, then I would say a maximum of 300 miles per day, maybe 350 at a push. I try to limit myself to around 250 miles a day when touring, but everyone is different.

On a different note, and I'm sure you will have already, but ditch the spare wheel and get some tyre foam. The space where the wheel goes can take a lot of luggage.

You can also remove all the trim where the tool kit goes, wrap the kit in towels and stuff it somewhere else. This frees up a huge space where the kit would normally go that will take a small suitcase.

If you want to take it to another level, tap into the feed to the cig lighter and run an extension into the boot, this allows you to run a nice cool box in the boot.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:55 PM

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

We've done this trip a couple of times, Last time was Dunkirk to Nice which we covered comfortably in 3 days. But if you wanted I'm sure you could do it in a day or so, however there is some fabulous countryside on the way thats not to be missed, so the "take it easy" option is strongly recommended.

If you get the chance the area round the Massif Central is wonderful.

Reims is also a great stop off point - if you like a glasss of champagne served at the perfect temperature.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:23 PM
CB

Have done it 4 x now in the S - all non-stop on the south bound and it is a loooong way. Was by necessity a direct trip but would recommend 1 x overnight stop even if in a hurry. Also a passenger to get the tolls as it's a pain climbing over the passenger seat!

If at all possible take your time and enjoy
Old 04-25-2010, 09:00 PM

Well after discussion with the missus, it now appears we are spending 2 nights in Paris...

So Paris to Millau. Not bothered by Montpellier, it's just getting some good morning and evening pictures of the bridge mainly.

Google maps has it at 400 miles. So I'm now planning on overnight in Millau and back to Paris the next day and then a couple of leisurely hours back to Calais the day after.

Thanks for the coolbox tip, hadn't thought of that. Already got the chiller so that's simple.
Spare tyre already replaced with tin of goo. Tools out and in shed. Figured if I don't have a spare then I don't need a jack either lol.

Maps says 5 hours from Paris to Millau so I reckon this plan is a goer.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:30 AM

we did Nice to Calais in a day, 720 miles in a mini cooper S.

Did 400 miles, bristol to glasgow (and back a week later) last week in the S and was fine...

The france trip was a long drive, 3 fuel stops, but other than that ok....Milau is spectacular by the way, We didn;t cross it, but drove under and was stunning...apparently you miss a lot if driving over as just a big wide motorway really....

Quick Reply: driving to south of France