Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

driving skills (or lack of)

Old 01-22-2008, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default driving skills (or lack of)

i see some agitated posts here, but meh!

whats THE biggest thing that others do on the road, that gets your blood boiling.
be it lane discipline (roundabouts/lane hoggers being the main two), those who dont keep upto the limit, or lack of indication.

for me: gotta be those who cut in.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cutting corners off when turning right into a road. Tailgating. Not indicating. Flashing their lights at me when I've overtaken safely. Hogging the middle/outside lane when the inside lane is empty, general ignorance.

I can't think of the most irritating. Also it depends on what sort of a day I'm having. On the way to work on a Monday morning my irritability is amplified tenfold.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:05 AM

with th OP

Especially those who change lanes on dual carriageways/motorways cutting in and under/overtaking at every opportunity.

Either that or people who fail to make use of the road ie not moving close enough to the car ahead and obstructing filter lanes or sitting right in the middle of the road when turning right making it impossible to get by and holding everyone up.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:06 AM

Oh, cutting across lanes on a multiple laned roundabout.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:19 AM

People who stop in the most inappropriate or inconvenient place to answer their frikkin mobile phone and causing a mini road block whilst doing so!!
Old 01-22-2008, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be honest. It's any other driver that happens to be on the same road as me at the same time.

Pet hates:

Not using both lanes to queue in
Lorries elephant racing
MLM's
Cutting across both lanes on a roundabout.
Not leaving enough distance in a queue of cars to allow people to overtake (it's NOT illegal!)
Old 01-22-2008, 11:35 AM

FOOKING FOG LIGHTS ON AND MAIN DIPPED BEAM OFF AND SIDE LIGHTS ON. TOSS POTTING MUPPETS, IT DOESNT LOOK COOL
Old 01-22-2008, 01:11 PM

Women flicking their hair and impeding my progress. I think it's because from a distance they think that I am a man.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:38 PM
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Mistress Quickly,Jan 22 2008, 10:11 PM
Women flicking their hair and impeding my progress. I think it's because from a distance they think that I am a man.
No, it's because they are "women who flick their hair" so are probably unaware of your presence altogether. They probably have a mobile phone hidden under said hair as well...

One sees so much bad driving that one is actually better off playing the game of anticipating the next bad manoeuvre and then feeling smug when it inevitably happens.

For example, one can almost always tell when one is about to be cut across at a roundabout, exercising a bit of patience and waiting until the exit before overtaking is usually the best policy, again feeling smug that one has anticipated it.

As for the cutting across roundabouts thing, presumably this is only annoying when someone does it to you. I cut roundabouts all the time when I'm fully aware there is no-one to the right of me.

However, the thing that really gets on my nerves is the "I'm turning right at a roundabout in a mile or so, therefore I will sit in the RH lane at 45mph (on a 70 limit DC) until said roundabout, holding up a car behind me, even though the road is lightly trafficed and I could easily move over near the roundabout and let past the person, who has just undertaken me out of frustration, the dangerous fool."

Old 01-23-2008, 03:35 AM

those who over take on d/c or motorway going 3 mph faster than the car they are over taking.

fog lights in the rain

Quick Reply: driving skills (or lack of)