Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Door bashers...

Old 05-12-2005, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Door dinging seems to be much much (believe it or not) worse in Paris. When I was over there a couple of years ago, barely a car was unblemished - including a fairly new looking Maser.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:11 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by san2000,May 12 2005, 11:05 PM
Speaking of which, I still need to give you an address.
Get on with it!

Old 05-12-2005, 11:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MLC-PM,May 12 2005, 11:21 AM
I also have my 'own' parking spot round the side of our building. There are two spaces side by side all on their own. I park right in the middle of both, regardless of what car I am driving (S or beater). Never trust any other driver in a car park.
Hmm,

Ever wonder why someone might scratch it then?
Old 05-12-2005, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by ian220574,May 12 2005, 12:11 PM
I agree with MLC-PM. When in the S I always (and I mean always) take up 2 spaces. People tend to take the p1ss in work, but there you go. Since I have had the S, I have only ever parked next to someone in a space and low and behold I have a ding mark! NOw I dont park if there aren't two spaces.
Park at the end of the line of spaces right on the white line will create more than enough space next to you.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by SiDHEaD,May 12 2005, 01:12 PM
I park in parent and child spaces - wouldn't park in disabled tho.
FFS.

Unless you qualify why do this....

You then make Parents with eager kids park in the tight spaces who are more likely to twat your door if some other ignoramus has taken 'your' spot in the Parent / Child bay...

(no offence, just this makes me boil more than parking dings)
Old 05-12-2005, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark,May 12 2005, 03:14 PM

Re the parent / child spaces - im sure we used to get along fine without these?? I dont like people parking in disabled, but I smile when I see a Ferrari or Porsche in a parent / child space

MB
I used the Parent / Childspaces in my S2000, when I had the kid with me, never without.

Its the same with the family Golf & two car seats in now....park in them with one or both kids

never without....

So assume the Fez / Porka are kid filled & if not they are Twats.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:42 PM

I said why.... I WISH i didn't have to but the sad state of people who don't give a shit means the only way my car stays looking good, and the way I paid good money for it. Some of us can't afford an insurance policy on a second car (it's over 1000 on a fiesta for me), so occasionally have to park it.

I usually manage to park right up the other end of the carpark at an end space, park "badly" so no-one can get their door close enough. However, if there are no suitable spaces and I am just running in I will stick it in the nice super-large P&C spaces for safety.

You also jumped to the (correct in this case) conclusion I don't have kids. I never said I didn't. And are P&C spaces just for people with pushchairs, when taking my nephew out (he's 6) am I then allowed by your rules to park in them? If so, why is this any different to me parking in them with the missus.

The trouble is I don't want an assault charge against me... this is what I would have if i caught some prick denting my car because they couldn't give a toss.

I'm not trying to be arguementative, just trying to get over the point I really can't afford to be spending
Old 05-12-2005, 11:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Type R,May 13 2005, 06:49 AM
Door dinging seems to be much much (believe it or not) worse in Paris. When I was over there a couple of years ago, barely a car was unblemished - including a fairly new looking Maser.
Some idiot made a right mess of my rear bumper on the French Connection meet last year, despite Pinkie making sure there was at least 0.5m of space between my car and the car that arrived shortly afterwards - the French really don't give a about their cars, they are simply a tool to be used and abused.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:05 AM
hyb

Parked up in a carpark a few weeks back, sat eating a sandwich, mother and young son come back to the car next to me, little kid opens his door and clangs with mine, not hard enough to do any damage but still noticable, mother looks over at me, doesn't apologise or show any emotion and just carries on.

Old 05-13-2005, 12:21 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by craig armstrong,May 13 2005, 07:48 AM
Some idiot made a right mess of my rear bumper on the French Connection meet last year, despite Pinkie making sure there was at least 0.5m of space between my car and the car that arrived shortly afterwards - the French really don't give a about their cars, they are simply a tool to be used and abused.
yep, pretty common view on the continent (Germans are better of course)

so at least you know that if you are a resident in France or Spain

if my car was dinged in France, I'd know there was no point in getting mad with the dinger - they simply wouldn't understand 'gallic shrug' smilie

but people here know that a car is more than a means of transport

so there is no excuse for UK dingers

Quick Reply: Door bashers...