Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Door bashers...

Old 05-12-2005, 03:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would i retaliate if some gobby bar steward gave me grief for challenging them for dinging my car with their lackof consideration? Too bleeding right i would! I worked my arse of for this & there is no way i'd let someone walk away without something being done/said.

Ed
Old 05-12-2005, 03:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's interesting why people park next to isolated cars - there must be some psychological reason, perhaps they park next to a nice car so a thief would nick or break into ours before their own???

I used to get stressed about car park dings but as I live in London I knew I was on a hiding to nothing, so took a chill pill and now don't really stress about that.
I did get one unknown bigish dent when parked on my street which cost me
Old 05-12-2005, 04:01 AM
Eni

Winds me up no end. They are just bar stewards.

Had it happen loads on several cars..

All it takes if the space is limited is to put your hand on the door edge as you get in/out to cover the pointy edge...the back of a hand will never scratch a door (unless you get someone with rings galore).

Some people just dont think...

<RANT>
Just the other day I was parked outside my parents house about 6 inches away (nose to nose) from a neighbours car. went inside for dinner, so was sitting at table in bay window. Theres plenty of room behind both cards as there are driveways behind them. Don't think this women has heard of clutch control, road is on an ickle hill.....can you guess what she does..takes the hand brake off and rolls straight into my car...stoopid b!nt. We sit there in disbelief as she takes and age to get control of the car and reverse back...then as we open the front door to see what damage was done she drives off!!.
Luckily no damage at all...(Was in my Focus)
</RANT>

Feel better now.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark,May 12 2005, 10:52 AM
...I have a garage at my flat, which im waiting to have cleared before I use it, so im in a visitors spot. My neighbour scuffed my door the other day by clipping it with his with his Mundano. To his credit he came round and owned up, and there is no dent, but some scratches. Not happy at all...
Not suprised you're not happy The neighbour then makes you feel like the bad guy if you want to claim off their insurance, as if their honesty in owning up makes it all alright

Its just ignorance and a total lack of respect for other people's property that causes the door dinger problem. They really can't understand why it would be a problem. i.e. their cars are just transport to them.

I was lucky having a secure car park space that no-one could get next to, but it irritated me that I had to effectively avoid public car parks unless I wanted to accept the likelihood of coming back to the car to find a ding

Hang the lot of 'em, next to public car parks to serve as a warning to the others
Old 05-12-2005, 04:11 AM

I agree with MLC-PM. When in the S I always (and I mean always) take up 2 spaces. People tend to take the p1ss in work, but there you go. Since I have had the S, I have only ever parked next to someone in a space and low and behold I have a ding mark! NOw I dont park if there aren't two spaces.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:36 AM

Ah, the old 'herding mentality'. I parked alone at the very back of a Tesco car park once, was there for 15 minutes at the most. When I returned there was a car on either side of me, one of which appeared to have been dumped (front of car was maybe 4 feet away from mine, rear was about a foot away), I was absolutely fuming, there were no other cars around for at least 10 spaces all round, yet these retarded morons felt it necessary to park on either side of me. Luckily neither had touched mine, but if they had I would probably have kicked their door in or written C**T on their door with my key.

I'm always very careful where I park, luckily most car parks I visit have plenty of space. Bluewater is good, if you park round the back by House of Fraser the spaces have a ~1 foot gap between them.

If the car park has no marked spaces I always try and estimate the amount of space the other cars' door takes when open, and try and leave that amount of space between the cars. Don't park next to anything that looks like a family car (anything with 4 doors, 4x4, MPV etc) and always try and park on the end space of a row so you only have 1 car to deal with.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by ian220574,May 12 2005, 01:11 PM
I agree with MLC-PM. When in the S I always (and I mean always) take up 2 spaces. People tend to take the p1ss in work, but there you go. Since I have had the S, I have only ever parked next to someone in a space and low and behold I have a ding mark! NOw I dont park if there aren't two spaces.
I can understand that, and have done it myself if I know I'm not going to be there for long (I actually got a
Old 05-12-2005, 05:04 AM

If you take up two spaces in a car park you deserve something bad happening to your car - if everyone did it, only half as many people could park in the same place.

Don't be so arogant as to think that your car is "better" than anybody elses - I bet you park in disabled bays as well.....

Yet more double standards - "I don't have to obey the rules because I drive a nice car, but when someone else does it I get all narky and upset" - pathetic!
Old 05-12-2005, 05:12 AM

I park in parent and child spaces - wouldn't park in disabled tho. Don't feel comfortable parking over 2 if carpark is busy. Best to find an end space and go as far as is possible from the other space (up grass/kerb if possible).

Camera phones make it easy to take a quick note of who is parked either side, but I don't know what you'd do with the info if you had it other than maybe getting some revenge.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:25 AM

Why do you think they put parent and child spaces where they are - they are wide so that they can get their pushchairs and buggies in their cars without smashing other peoples cars - so you go and take their spot, causing them real difficulties, and probably meaning that they bash someone elses door - what a sad little "society" we live in - still Sidhead, as long as its not you that's ok isn't it?

FFS

Quick Reply: Door bashers...