Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Does anyone else get stressed out selling cars

Old 07-19-2007, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone else get stressed out selling cars

I hate it!

We're (hopefully) selling Amanda's Smart Roadster tomorrow to a guy from Wales who's getting the coach up.

We've had the car two years, it's cost us
Old 07-19-2007, 11:29 AM

I am just the same and change my car fairly often, it is extremely stressful, you want to make sure you get a good one.

I think the Mondeo is a great car for the money, if you havent tried one it could be worth a try. 8k would get your a lot of Mondeo for your money. They are a little common and boring to look at but handle great. Also the Mazda 6 is another great car but more expensive then the Mondeo.

I think both the Mondeo and Mazda are much better cars for your money then the BMW, you dont want to pay more just for the badge do you?
Old 07-19-2007, 11:36 AM

I've spent a bit of time in Mondeos and they do handle well but they're too heavy, and my wife wants the smallest estate available. I like RWD too, and the Beemer seems to be the best handler in it's class by a long way. Driven - Avensis, mondeo, Vectra, A4

Also I stand a good chance of getting an ex-lease car BM for trade price from my company, which could mean very acceptable depreciation and a car where I know it's history.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:53 AM

207 estate then ! Not RWD but extremely small !

Seriously though, I think the Mazda 6 handles better then the BMW3 Touring.

However, if your after RWD and good handelling and at a bargin price ex lease car from work, looks like your on the money with the BMW 3 Touring.

Or an Alfa 156SW they are fairly small, not real wheel drive, dont handle that great, but look good if you get the facelift model.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:17 PM

Love the Alfa, but can't bring myself to buy an Italian car. We had a Fiat Tipo once, it broke down every time I got in it!!!
Old 07-19-2007, 12:48 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Only bit I worry about is getting done over

I try and cover all those angles one way or another though
Old 07-19-2007, 01:54 PM

Last week I sold my Lotus that I bought new sixteen years ago. A lovely young man bought it and I'm really happy for him but when my swimming buddy mentioned it this evening I burst into tears.

I suppose it is because the car represents a part of my life that is over and it underlines the fact that I'm getting ancient.

I love the actual process of selling a car, setting the price, wording the ad, the test drives and pitting myself against the prospective purchaser to get what I want for it yet ensuring that both parties are satisfied with the deal. We live on a busy road and I've sold quite a few vehicles for friends from my premises and it always gives me a buzz.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:07 PM

I'm just about to put my Del Sol on the market. I've had it 6 years and will be very sad when it goes. It was my second car and got me completely hooked on

I bought the S last October and didn't part ex, partly due to the dealer's insulting offer and also because I wanted to make sure that the car was in top condition when I sold it.

The work started last September (full respray) and should hopefully end tomorrow when I finish the detail .

I've never sold a car before either, the Del Sol was my second and the first was a Citroen AX which was stolen before I could advertise.

MQ any tips on selling would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-19-2007, 11:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I find selling cars stressful, but primarily because its a case of will it sell quickly and am i going to get stuck with the car i'm trying to sell for an extended period of time whilst i steadily reduce the price to get it to sell.

I sold my Dad's A6 bi turbo for him after he'd had no success and overall (including his selling time) it took 8 months to sell. Karen's MX5 took 4 months, her freelander took 5 months, Mum's A3 diesel 1 day.

Every car i've sold i've sold to the first person that came to look at it by being very accurate with the description and then making sure that the car is absolutely spotless for when the viewer comes to look at it. But for 3 of the 4 cars list above, i only had one phone call from an interested purchaser so it's just as well the car was spotless when the viewed it!
Old 07-20-2007, 12:04 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by lower,Jul 20 2007, 07:22 AM
Every car i've sold i've sold to the first person that came to look at it by being very accurate with the description and then making sure that the car is absolutely spotless for when the viewer comes to look at it.
I can't say I've sold to the first viewer most times, but I've never had much trouble selling.

I agree with being honest and presenting the car in spotless condition, but the biggest issue is price.

Anything will sell at the right price, but too many people have a deluded opinion of what their car is worth.

I don't get any lasting emotional attachment to a lump of metal. You can always buy another one, the same or better.

The worst thing about selling, although I wouldn't call it stress, is dealing with the morons who seem to make tyre-kicking and telephone enquiries a full-time job.

Like supermarket shopping, selling cars brings you into contact with the sort of people you would normally avoid.

Quick Reply: Does anyone else get stressed out selling cars