Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Do 4x4 drivers own the road?

Old 11-16-2009, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do 4x4 drivers own the road?

Every day, I use a narrow country lane (B road) to get onto a main A road. This B road is about 3 miles long and very twisty turny with high verges and lots of trees either side.

The B road is about a car and a half's width in most places with a few passing points.

Usually, cars I meet coming the other way are being driven carefully and there's a friendly smile as we decide in a no verbal way, who's going to pull over or reverse to a passing point.

The exception to this rule is 4x4's (Specifically Range Rovers and BMW X5's). They come barreling down this road and then stop dead waiting for you to drive round them. Farmers in Landy 90's etc are usually fine.

About a month ago, I came round a corner on this road and ended up nose to roller with a massive steam roller. Clearly he was going no where so I reversed. (I never realised how big those things were until then)

Ever since this I hoped that one of those 4x4's in question had been travelling down that road on that day.

Now I could take a different road but using this B road cuts out a 5 mile round trip. However I know that if I ever get hit by one of those 4x4's, I'm never going to get out of it with my no claims intact.

Here endeth the rant....
Old 11-16-2009, 08:21 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-16-2009, 08:58 AM

I have sympathy here.

I live on a similar but slightly larger C class road AKA broken wing mirror alley. 2 cars can pass with care. It is used as a rat run twice a day by 4X4s on the school run but in my case they don’t stop, just assume that the road is theirs, and it is your purpose to exist and give way. I have decided that:

1. Be afraid, be very afraid of 4X4s

2. They haven’t a clue about their own width as they drive a fatal 2ft from the edge and assume there is room for both of us (if they even notice me). Their idea of size is a size 10

3. They just look ahead, out of fright, into the distance and above my head

I know there are good 4X4 drivers around but if their wheels aren’t muddy I don’t take a risk and give them a wide berth.

...and there’s the problem you see. They’re used to other people getting out of their way and obviously assume the road is theirs!
Old 11-16-2009, 09:04 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes, down our lane, it is I who drive through with two wheels up the bank (a la France!) whilst some dozy slit just sits in the middle of the road with her top teeth sticking out. Once had to play chicken with a twat in a Cayenne whilst on pushbike. Cayenne lost, almost very badly.

Actually, the guy in the Hall down the road with a RR drives remarkably courteously indeed. I'm sure he'll be made to buy something else (like his elegant black XK convertible) because he's letting the side down.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:22 AM

I either need an incredibly loud exhaust with electrically operated baffles or an old volvo estate, put a cage in it and see if their airbags work...

How much does it cost to rent a set of temp traffic lights?

Hmmm, a set of lights, a coned section that's a couple of inches wider than the Honda for about 2 miles and a remote control......

Once I'm through, I don't care what colour they are for the rest of the day.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:19 AM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

The person i know who drives a 4 x 4 RRS seems to think the main reason for having it is what he describes as "road presence" I think this means its big can been seen and every one else has to pay homage ! And that how he drives it.

Had a couple of experiences as above in the lanes around here, funny how I in my little sports car lands up in the mud and up the verge to avoid damage
Old 11-16-2009, 10:24 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

RRS drivers seem to have a deep-seated inferiority complex. Probably because they couldn't afford a proper RR.

Gawd 'elp us when the plebs get to buy their LRXs*; talk about delusions of grandeur!

*LRX is teh code name for a RR-badged sort of Honda HR-V with hybrid drive...
Old 11-16-2009, 11:11 AM

Nick, this RRS is the supercharger fairly quick to say the least £62k

Some would say an extension for a body part !
Old 11-16-2009, 11:13 AM
B B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But you can get your own back.
Same narrow lane but the big head in the 4x 4 is behind you wanting to get pass. But he is a bit bugger and too wide and all of a sudden you are travelling slowly enjoying the views & keeping a VERY sensible distance from the verge.
And so it goes on for miles and miles, for however close the bugger gets and however many times he flashes his lights he 'ain't goner get by. In fact there is an invisible sticker in the back window that says 'THE CLOSER YOU COME, THE SLOWER I GO'.
This works a treat in snobby Surrey, even better when I'm driving a grotty old diesel Vectra and the rich bitch or flash git in his £50k BMW is held up by an oik in a nasty Vauxhall. I mean how annoying is that? All that money & I get to spoil their day - result.

Oh and if I do meet a 4 x 4 that wants to own the lane I don't run to the verge I actually move out and seemingly prepare to ram - it doesn't half startle them.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:38 AM

4 x 4 drivers of this type are usually bullies and will back down sharpish if fronted up, but it is a risk !!!!

Quick Reply: Do 4x4 drivers own the road?