Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

dire driving

Old 09-04-2009, 04:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dire driving

just popped out for a quick hour todo a spot of guy shopping, and i cant believe the standard of driving!

i was out for less than an hour, and lost count of the number of individual occurances that people just did not see me!

about 30 carpark space lengths, i nearly got reversed into 3 times by people pulling out of their spaces.1 of which was even on the corner with clear line of sight to the moving traffic.

another occurance was peoples inability to judge gaps. 2 lanes wide sliproad, can easily fit a transit van and S2000 (as i proved) down together. low and behold, 2 smaller cars were incapable of passing each other holding up the flow of traffic.

witnesses the classic "what roundabout!?" manouver whereby 2 lanes that go around the island, becomes a straight line

cars parked on the other side of the road, and oncoming traffic did not give way to me as they attempt to pass the parked cars.

and mr scrap metal van man parrallel parked outside of chippy, opposite a T junction where he can turn around. indicates once, pulls out 1/2 way across the road. then eventually sees me coming down road and prompty stops. no way could i get around him.then just sits there waiting for me todo something. no thanks, no sorry. nothing.

i can honestly, hand on heart, touch wood, swear on someones life etc etc, say i've never ever seen such dire road sense than that of today. something todo with it being school holidays still and all the cretins are doing last minute shopping for their offspring?

shame i had to endure it... clothes shopping so online wasn't really an option. speaking of which, how hard is it to fine NORMAL quality jeans that don't have the 'worn' look, or have girlie button-zips on them!

rant OVER!
Old 09-04-2009, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carparks scare the hell out of me. Apparently most car insurance claims are related to accidents in car parks.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:14 AM

There's a very noticeable increase in traffic around here too because of the schools going back...I'm sure the change in routine daily patterns and the suddenly busier environment changes some people's behaviour for the worst. Some kind of mental adjustment is needed but many are still lumbering around in 'holiday' (i.e. half-asleep) mode...

I had to do an emergency stop for the first time in years, on the way to work this morning: Lexus IS200 with VERY tinted windows / gold bling badging pulls out of a side turning in slow motion - and I mean very slowly, as I approached (NSL road, I was doing c. 40mph). It was almost as if the driver couldn't see through the darkened windows, started creeping out, still couldn't see, then thought, "I'll just keep going anyway". Thankfully I did stop in time because of the way he/she telegraphed his/her intentions, but there was no indication at all of awareness of my presence even afterwards!

Higher traffic volume = higher numpty quotient. Filed for future reference!
Old 09-04-2009, 06:38 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I've had a lot of similar stuff today; coffin dodgers in MPVs and dozy tarts in expensive German metal grovelling along, cutting corners, etc.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Saw a hit/run yesterday as some bint backed into a lads Corsa right in front of us.
She looked at us and just drove off - didnt give a toss.

Was aimed at three times yesterday, gave up and went home for wine and TV.

Fark 'em whats going on?
Hope its settled as just off to Scotland this week
Old 09-09-2009, 12:14 PM

Drove the Lotus through Barnsley and some of its shitter tagged on
towns tonight, I had the roof off.
The usual 'nice car mate' from kids, a few girls screaming, usual dick
heads in A3's etc revving their motors just as they pass in the opposite
direction, blah. The worst though was a young 'hard' man came strutting
out from a gaggle of scum loitering outside a shop on some dire main st.
I only just missed him due to my advanced Don Palmer cone techniques!

I will drive that way again but not in the Elise.

Russ.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:47 PM

I've never seen any wot worserer grammar in a fred, either - is there anywhere I can go on Google to get the original post translated into English?
Old 09-09-2009, 11:02 PM

As car enthusiasts I think our expectations are higher than that of most people on the road.

But more and more I see people failing to do even the most basic things correctly. People simply don't care about their driving or the state of their cars it would seem. To most people a car is something you load the kids into, and then take them to school in. The bits in-between (the driving) is irrelevant, just so long as they get to where they are going. A lot of people seem to think they don't have to drive properly, because they own the biggest thing on 4 wheels, so they will be nice and safe in an accident.

It does seem that some days are worse than others, and it's not worth chewing through those leather straps in the morning

veehexx - If you want "normal" jeans, try Debenhams. They sell "designer" labels and some don't have that silly pre-worn look.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I seem to attract all kinds of pillock driving the 'S'. Far much more than I used to driving my Prelude.

Every single euro sh*t-box seems to want to play traffic light GP. I was driving back last night with the top down from Kingsbridge to Plymouth (nice evening, chilled out drive) when I even had some tosser in a VW Van tailgate me, flashing his lights. He then proceeded to overtake me on a short straight which I wouldn't of even attempted on my old R1, let alone a van. I had to slow down to let him in before he was hit by oncoming traffic.

To say I wasn't happy would be an understatement. I gave him a long beep and a flash of my lights to let him know. The best part was that this wasn't too far from Plymouth, where I knew the road became a dual carriageway with a set of lights. He hadn't gotten too far ahead of me so we caught up (lights were red). Pulling up next to the guy, I could see he had his girlfriend with him and she was giving him both barrels! I honked my horn, he wouldn't even look at me, she did though!

Amazing how some people lose their ego (and bottle) after driving like complete tools when they've stopped at the lights.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:36 AM

I know a few people who own nice/sports cars and they all say the same thing. When they are driving their "flashy motor" they get more grief than when in their daily beater. I don't know if it's jealously or stupidity but others seem to react to certain types of car differently.