Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

dc2 Integra in red

Old 05-29-2012, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dc2 Integra in red

Wondered if anyone on here would know what type of red paint was used on a DC2 Integra, would it have been a solid red to the surface or did they put a clear coat on top?

Thinking of going to see one but it's a fair drive away, I know the paint on it is faded and I don't want to make a long drive just to find there's no way of polishing the faded paint away.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:19 AM

It's a clear coat on top. Milano Red (Or Milano Pink as it's known) fades and can only be sorted with a respray.

What's the reg? I sold a red one a year ago.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:30 AM
UK Trader

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Lots of helpful folk on here:-

www.itr-dc2.com

Old 05-29-2012, 04:49 AM

Old 05-29-2012, 04:54 AM

I'd be far more worried about rust and accident damage than the odd panel respray from faded paint.

Get in behind the rear arches and check for any signs of rust. Every DC2 rusts here, so it's either been a fastidious owner, or it's been repaired if there are no signs.
Also on the inside of where the rear door would be (if it wasn't a coupe) at the bottom there, water can get in from the rear arch and starts to rust. You can't check this without pulling the interior apart, but you should do that when you buy the car and get it sorted and treated.

Last major thing for these - boot leaks. Generally the rear light seals, but can also be down to poor seam sealing at the factory, or accident repair. Check the boot under the spare wheel for any signs of water ingress.

These are some of the most fun cars ever made, and I loved mine to bits, but in the end mine had had major accident damage and consequently I never stopped it leaking in the boot area. Still great fun to drive, and I only lost £500 taking it from 110k - 140k over two and a bit years
Old 05-29-2012, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus
I'd be far more worried about rust and accident damage than the odd panel respray from faded paint.

Get in behind the rear arches and check for any signs of rust. Every DC2 rusts here, so it's either been a fastidious owner, or it's been repaired if there are no signs.
Also on the inside of where the rear door would be (if it wasn't a coupe) at the bottom there, water can get in from the rear arch and starts to rust. You can't check this without pulling the interior apart, but you should do that when you buy the car and get it sorted and treated.

Last major thing for these - boot leaks. Generally the rear light seals, but can also be down to poor seam sealing at the factory, or accident repair. Check the boot under the spare wheel for any signs of water ingress.

These are some of the most fun cars ever made, and I loved mine to bits, but in the end mine had had major accident damage and consequently I never stopped it leaking in the boot area. Still great fun to drive, and I only lost £500 taking it from 110k - 140k over two and a bit years
Thanks for all the info, really appreciate the help.

To be honest I was hoping for a couple of hours of polishing to fix it, used to be a good negotiating point with red cars. If I'm going have to pay for a full on respray I may have to give this a miss.

Any idea how much a respray is nowadays?

Edited to add, the reg number is W487 UCS
Old 05-29-2012, 09:15 AM

Not mine - X42 BLH.

You will get this on all Milano Reds. Boot, spoiler, roof and bonnet are the problem areas.

White is best but it seems more susceptible to rust. Maybe black is a good compromise
Old 05-29-2012, 09:35 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Probably because white is more 'transparent' in pigment so you can see the rust better!

Milano pink would probably require a full blow-over if you'd like it the same colour. You might get away with two large, but it could ba a LOT more once you get into the arches/sills etc.

How about that strange clingfilm stuff that's currently trendy? It'll stop it fading any further!

If you've not owned an iconic EG/EK/DC before, buy it & try it! They are such a fantastic drive.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:33 AM

I've had a couple of emails back from them today, they're claiming no corrosion anywhere, not sure how likely that is.

The guy dealing with it is in tomorrow, but it will need to be very cheap if it needs a complete respray, paintwork is so expensive these days.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:03 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

You can feel around the inner arch for any filler bulges.

Problem is, the inner side panels (13/19) underhang the rear floorpan and as you can see, removing the side casing (seats out first!) or the outer sill trim cover gives quite limited access.

Welcome to old Hondas!

Quick Reply: dc2 Integra in red