Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Dangerous Driving

Old 11-25-2010, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dangerous Driving

Had an incident the other night!

I was in the slow lane of a dual carrige way when I approached a lorry, put my indicator on to overtake and the car next to me in the outside lane wouldn't let me out. I dropped back expecting them to accelerate but they carried on driving right next me. They then dropped back, so I pulled out (indicator still on) as I did that they accelerated towards to me.

They then spent the next couple of miles tailgating me with their lights on full beam. They were so close that I could not see their lights, so close that I daren't slow down as I was sure they would hit me. This was at 70mph. I then tried to ease off the accelerator ever so slightly, however they continued, I sped up slightly.. they continued..there was traffic in front and at the side of me.

As this had been going on for so long and I couldn't get over due to the amount of traffic, I called the police. Whilst I was on the phone to them I managed to get over to the slow lane. Said car then overtook me, cut me up and banged his brakes on hard to try and get me to run into the back of him. At this point I managed to get his registration number which I gave to the police. He then moved back into the fast lane and carried on.

I didn't know whether ringing the police was the right thing to do or not, but I was really frightened he was going to crash into me. The call handlers response was "some people are just in a hurry" which made me feel like one of those numptys making inappropriate 999 calls on the TV programme "Coppers".

I told them my whereabouts and gave them the number plate, the call handler didn't ask for any of this information. I asked if they had anyone out looking for him/her and they said someone would have a look but it was unlikely they would find him as he could turn off anywhere. I didn't see a police car.

I was asked to present at my local station to make a statement. The local police told me to go back to the original police where it was reported. They passed me back to the local police!

I only wanted to report it to try and stop this person from killing someone in the future, although I don't expect the police will be able to do anything.

There are some proper nut jobs out there....
Old 11-25-2010, 03:13 AM

I was told to do exactly what you did when I had a similar incident, although after the fact so I didn't actually do it at the time. Would go and sit in the local plod station until someone takes a statement. When I have reported dangerous driving I have had a good response from the local plod.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had similar a few years back stuck on the M4 in heavy traffic.

When i finally moved over when traffic allowed (after giving the aggresive driver behind 'the bird' through the back window), he sped past me in his black Vectra, pulled infront only to disaply his 'POLICE STOP' big red lights in the back of his unmakred car. oh dear.

I pulled into hard shoulder where he went mental at me for dangerous driving (following the other 5,000 commuters on the gridlocked motorway that night..). He was on his way home and off duty or would have knicked me for aggrivated driving (giving him the bird tipped him over the edge i think).

He said it was due to people like me that he has to tell loved ones why their family members have been murdered in road rage incidents. A little strong I felt, as genuinly had done nothing wrong.

I hindsight, I really should have got his details and reported him, as he did say he had it all on camera (I would love to see that, his driving was SHOCKING given the circumstances...)

Anyway, he was just blowing off steam and as you say was just in a rush to get somewhere....home in this case.

nutter.

He even made me stand 'donwhill' of him on the verge as I am 6'1" and he was giving away about 6 inches. Guess that made him feel better too.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:24 AM

In the circumstances you have mention you are allowed to make a phone call to the police, as Rebecca mentioned above she got a positive outcome from the police after one instance.
I can't remember the wording of the driving asbo Gritty mentioned a while back, but some of the wording they used with him may be usefull when reporting bad driving!
Old 11-25-2010, 03:47 AM

another reason i have a camera on my car !
Old 11-25-2010, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by phil121081,Nov 25 2010, 12:14 PM
I had similar a few years back stuck on the M4 in heavy traffic.

When i finally moved over when traffic allowed (after giving the aggresive driver behind 'the bird' through the back window), he sped past me in his black Vectra, pulled infront only to disaply his 'POLICE STOP' big red lights in the back of his unmakred car. oh dear.
etc etc
You really have to stick up to bullys like that.

Sounds an utter ****.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Penelope Ptistop,Nov 25 2010, 11:46 AM

There are some proper nut jobs out there....
Absolutely.

What car were you in?
Old 11-25-2010, 04:08 AM

The S! I have had it before in this car, although not quite so dangerous. Can't help but think I wouldn't have got the same treatment in the mundaneo estate I have been driving recently.

With regards to the camera, you would need a rear fitted one to have caught most of this.

Can you remember the title of Gritty's post? It might come in useful.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moggy - I agree, but having assessed his general mood quite early on in our 'discussion' i felt it easier to agree to disagree and be on my way.... I regret not getting his details and reporting the incident after.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:01 AM

Think you did exactly the right thing and I would continue with going down to the Police Station and making a statement.

I've received calls at work regarding my drivers and I've given the Police their details so that they can have a word with them.

Scott's thread about his Section 59:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry17915924

Quick Reply: Dangerous Driving