Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Court Appearance for Speeding

Old 05-25-2010, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John57,May 25 2010, 10:40 AM
I don't see the point of doing this .... yes, speeding ... but there would be plenty of 'customers' further into the 30 limit who are carrying on at 50 'ish mph and don't see you in a hi-viz/marked car .... clocking people just inside limits or hiding is a joke - you don't need to do it and it means I see posts like this.

When using a Laser at work (which wasn't often ) I never hid, never got people just inside limits, parked the car up fully in the road or at a right angle to it and very visible. Anyone who didn't see me from the 1/2 mile or so away that I could be seen deserved a ticket .... especially at what speeds I gave out tickets for anyway !!
but then you have common sense and a lack of "'puter says" from this post, and well done to you.

Can we clone you and use only you for traffic cops please?
Old 05-25-2010, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are mad for speeding where I Live, I live about a mile away from a dual carriageway which I use for work daily there is a camera van on both sides a minimum of once a week, one just over the brow of a hill and the other just round a corner, basicaly if you are speeding there is no escape they have got you. Its 50 limit, im sure there is good reason for this but it does escape me, there are no turnings off of it, it is fairly long, plenty wide and has armcos in the centre, its difficult to know how you could cause any major danger doing anything other than bonkers speeds. All this and the fact that I have never seen them on any of the other local roads leads me to believe they are there simply to raise cash. Meanwhile on the actual dual carriageway I live on, they never have speed camera vans on it because there are to many traffic lights and it is to straight, so they would have difficulty in catching as many people, it just wouldnt be as efficient for them, instead once a month on a saturday and sunday they have an ANPR camera parked up on the central reservation, with 10+ police cars/motorbikes parked up and down it that spend the whole day pulling people over that presumably have no tax/insurance. Its very easy to target resources on the motorist, you can park a van and catch a speeding motorist who runs round the corner, but it harder to catch a a burglar in the same way, so why bother, just concentrate more resources on things they can catch and monetise.

With the case of the op, its a long straight road in between 2 fields, how many times do you think they could carry out that manouvere without anything actualy happening? 1000 times? 10,000 times? Who knows, but you arent going to get any pedestrians run out in front of you, the other drivers are unlikely to eraticaly swerve in front of you, you could get a blow out, but how often does that actually happen? and all of these unlikely events could still happen at 60 with simillar outcomes. The point im trying to make is by parking the van along this road they are targeting something that could be 0.01% likely to happen within the speed limit that is probably only 0.03% likely to happen above it.

IF it was all about road safety, the best thing would be to park a traffic car along there all day so that a police officer could see true reckless and dangerous driving and punish accordingly.