Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Court Appearance for Speeding

Old 04-29-2010, 04:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This story is interesting and revealing;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/ele...and/8636654.stm

So the statistics show no increase in deaths or serious injury after the cameras were decommissioned, proving the Conservative council correct that the cameras were simply there to collect revenue for the government and that the money could be better spent on other road safety issues.

Yet the Labour and Lib Dem leaders both want to reinstate them despite the evidence.....
Old 04-29-2010, 04:26 AM
pip

Originally Posted by MarkB,Apr 29 2010, 12:23 PM
Yet the Labour and Lib Dem leaders both want to reinstate them despite the evidence.....
Because it's an easy way to generate revenue while taking the moral highground?Much like "green" taxes.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bundle of Mayhem,Apr 29 2010, 02:36 AM
...I don't think I've ever looked at my Speedo so much and I find that really distracting, as if I'm not concentrating on the road at all...
One of the strongest arguments against speed cameras. A competent traffic officer in a car can discriminate between a momentary lapse onto the wrong side of the limit compared to someone who is blatantly speeding over a long period. They can also distinguish between someone who is driving dangerously or recklessly but below the speed limit where as a speed camera does not.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd far rather get pulled than flashed!

netted me a FP for 70/80 through a 40 (quiet city dual carriageway, not built up area). if it was camera, then no doubt i'd of been hit with something similar to whats happened in this thread.
also helped that it was a traffic cop; unmarked fast ford rather than a pleb trying to make a name for himself.

speeding is wrong people; speeding kills!
Old 04-29-2010, 09:11 AM

Kelk - blah blah

Wow this post took some time

Over 90mph takes twice as long to stop than 60mph.
Cock BMW or not.

Russ.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:01 AM

Your quite right - it does take twice as long (cock BMW or not).

And whilst not approving of speeding, we were at that speed for a very short time, the way in front of us was completely clear on both the wrong side of the road and in front of the BMW.

We completed the overtake in the shortest time possible which I will maintain is a lot safer than the overtake we did yesterday within the speed limit. We didn't overtake, get in front and then slam on the brakes in order not to hit a car in front, we overtook and reduced the speed straight away. It isn't a built up area, there are no pedestrians and no junctions on that stretch for a vehicle to come out of and surprise us. Yes we could have had a blow out or a bird strike but we could have had that at 60mph.

So were we speeding - yes. Did we feel the overtake was safe - yes.

I've made enquiries today with the company that does the heated seats about retro fitting cruise control / speed limiter on the S. I'll post the response here when I get it in case anyone else is interested.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:43 AM
B B

Originally Posted by The Woman,Apr 28 2010, 11:11 AM
Not necessarily. I used to handle the fixed penalty notices for our company car drivers.

It could take 3 months before I got it, never mind the driver (although I usually warned them personally that I had to tell whatever authority that they were in charge of the vehicle at the time of the offence).

If the cars are leased instead of owned, the notice will go to the leasing company who will fill the form telling the company X ltd is in charge of the vehicle. The notice then gets issued again to the company. Then the company fills the form telling that you were in charge of the vehicle. If each steps takes the maximum allowed, you may not be out of the woods yet.

for you.
Company purchased car. I retire 2nd August so job not in jeopardy & will do 10k a year max. pottering sort of, not 30k with a million things on my mind.
Nuff now as we are hijacking our friend who REALLY has gone through the mill, but a better result than expected.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:50 AM

So, have you noticed an improvement in Mr CJ's driving since?
Old 04-29-2010, 10:56 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkB,Apr 29 2010, 12:23 PM
This story is interesting and revealing;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/ele...and/8636654.stm

So the statistics show no increase in deaths or serious injury after the cameras were decommissioned, proving the Conservative council correct that the cameras were simply there to collect revenue for the government and that the money could be better spent on other road safety issues.

Time & time again this happens!

This Spill your Seed campaign is soo utterly discredited, only the congenitally gullible or those in on the corruption can still possibly give it any credance.

They'll be demanding sacrifices to prevent acts of god, next.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Gaspode,Apr 29 2010, 07:50 PM
So, have you noticed an improvement in Mr CJ's driving since?
He has slowed down. We both have. People at work who have seen how worried we've been have told us that they have slowed down. The person I car share with says that whenever I've started discussing it she has taken her foot off the accelerator and checked her speed.

What this experience has done is show us both how easily something can be taken away from you. How easily your life can change in a split second. We would have been up shit street without Craig's wage as we both have houses and bills to pay. I know he would have gone and got another job doing whatever it takes to just bring a wage in but it's not the point. He has a good job at the moment and to risk it just to overtake another vehicle isn't worth it.

Quick Reply: Court Appearance for Speeding