Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Caught speeding...... :-(

Old 09-15-2015, 03:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenmanS2000
You could drive without a valid licence - many do.

But you will be in deep brown doodo if caught (and you won't have any valid insurance)
You'd like to think so but a guy driving without no license and over the limit killed my brother in a car crash and had no recourse at all
Old 09-15-2015, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by LTB
Originally Posted by speedzx' timestamp='1442157048' post='23745442
[quote name='Childsy' timestamp='1442146870' post='23745359']
Due to being an absolute numpty, last night about 10 I was just leisurely driving into town (didn't even want to go out!) on a flyover, speed limit of 50 and got caught doing 83! Didn't even realise I was giving it the beans until I saw blue lights from an undercover policeman behind me. Due to being more than 45% over the speed limit the policeman couldn't give me on the spot points and fine so has to go to court..... Doh. Now I already have 3 points from speeding a year ago so am very scared I may loose my licence. Anyone got any advice for me? Would be much appreciated as I'm very worried and in a bit of a sulk feeling very stupid.
I'm also in Southampton, Out of interest what flyover?
If it was in Southampton my guess would be the road that goes through Millbrook towards West Quay and Ikea.
That's the only one with flyovers that has a 50 limit that I can think of.
[/quote]

that's exactly what I thought.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:52 AM

Personal experience:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/784...-for-speeding/

Be polite, take someone with you so it doesn't look like you think you're going to drive home and get yourself a bloody good solicitor.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:14 AM

Just re-read my thread from 5 years ago. It brings all the worry flooding back. The irony of it was that within a week, Mr CJ pranged his car coming over a flyover in the rain, but had his head down checking his speed as it's a well known spot for a camera van and before he knew it, the traffic had come to a stop in front of him.

I have a limiter on my car now which I set religiously. I won't lie and say I don't speed, I do but it's more like 4-5 over the limit, not 20-25 like it use to be.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:57 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

we're easy targets as the days of people being interested in cars are nearing an end

soon google will be driving and we'll be in the back looking at their content on a 10" tablet.. with a box of kleenex handy and 'privacy glass' errr
Old 09-15-2015, 07:17 AM

Received 134 Likes on 115 Posts

Yeah - look whats happened to me. Nil points, drive a derv and because I don't have a sports car anymore, i've lost my mojo!

We've all been a bit naughty and misbehaved in our S2000 at one point, just these days Plod is onto it. And you'll be more likely zapped with a laser now than you were perhaps 10-15 years ago. It can jade the ownership, I felt that way when I received my first 3 points in my S. I was slowing down from a 60 to a 30, deserted country road with no built up area ahead. No more than 50 yds into the 30, there was the fuzz, pointing his gun. 41mph recorded. Bummer. (if only he'd been further up the road in to 60 zone, it may have been a ban ) The overall feeling though of the fine later though, is it not being "fair". But that eventually erodes.

As Robin said, the lack of refinement should mean you really do know when you're speeding in an S2000. I believe speeding issues are worse in cars that are quieter at gathering pace, before you know it you can be way past 30-odd especially if it's an auto.

Therefore I take my hat off to those that drive lower powered classic drivers' cars. I think that's the eventual journey of some petrol heads that prefer handling & tinkering, above outright speed and road aggression. And you could be less likely to get into trouble with another SP30.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:43 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

Speed limits are very low. I speed everywhere but have a lot of claim free years (touch wood)

I see utterly wank driving every day go un punished but was penalised for rolling down a steep hill too quickly. Its a joke really.

If i get done i'll take a year off and they can suck up the considerable £ tax revenue they'll miss out on. Middle class anarchy in the uk and all that
Old 09-15-2015, 10:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Speeding fines are always hard to take as a) there's an element of luck whether you get caught or not making it feel "unfair" when you do and, more importantly, b) you know you're in the wrong and should and can do better. Even more annoying if like me you spot the ba$tards going one way and then get caught on the return journey ...
Old 09-15-2015, 10:59 AM

Received 134 Likes on 115 Posts

I'll be leaving work shortly. Absolutely no doubt that when I hit the M6 at 8.10pm, there will be dozens of idiots doing 3 figures near Thelwall viaduct. Its a hot-spot for unmarked plod, yet the speeders carry on.
Been caught myself though in 2009 joining the M6 at speed, but escaped because plod couldn't prove the speed - this in my Accord Type R.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:38 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by DanGamble
Originally Posted by GreenmanS2000' timestamp='1442229762' post='23746166
You could drive without a valid licence - many do.

But you will be in deep brown doodo if caught (and you won't have any valid insurance)
You'd like to think so but a guy driving without no license and over the limit killed my brother in a car crash and had no recourse at all
How did that come to pass exactly?

Quick Reply: Caught speeding...... :-(