Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Car Tax

Old 03-18-2012, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Tax

I have just bought my car tax online as it's due April 1st. There was a note on the DVLA stating that the price I was paying was before any potential budget increase and could therefore change. I have paid £260 for the Accord so what if the tax is increased on Wednesday? Will they hold back sending the disc and debit my card the difference?

I can't believe that if car tax is going up, the DVLA don't already know and are happy to let me buy mine for next year at last year's rate!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:52 AM
Banned

Received 131 Likes on 119 Posts

No it will only be applicable to people renewing car tax from next month. You will pay £260 this year regardless.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be worse:-

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=25382

Dave is thinking of privatising the road network, which I am not opposed to in principle if it makes our pot holed ridden, dangerous roads better but all I can see is disaster if the State tries to keep a handle on it, either go fully private or fully state, don't go half way.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The state doesn't spend any money on the roads so I can't see it making any difference who looks after it

Although saying that, its not their fault they're being conned into spending millions on getting roads refurbished by private companies who have no idea how to resurface roads, and have no intention of doing a good job either...
Old 03-20-2012, 01:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My plan for when I'm PM.

1: abolish car tax.
2: privatise the entire uk road network
3: adopt a pay per road used system.
4: if the road you want to use is crap, use one maintained by a different company.
5: privatise per road, not per region.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:04 AM

torys are clueless cnuts.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:33 AM

At least the Tories are trying to do something to improve the roads and well just do something which is more than labour did in 13 years.

I always think its ironic that the road fund licence isn't used to fund the roads. Surely that would be a good start to get some investment in the road network rather than privatise them.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:22 AM

and why should some cars not pay road tax ??? do they hover ??? do they pump out less co2? no because they get driven more.

torys dont give a shit about fuel poverty.

make all public transport free.accept beeching was a crooked tw@t.stop building out of town mega malls.

and yes the previous gov prob brought in those car tax rules..but they suck ass as well.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:36 AM

Yep, make public transport free, or at least significantly cheaper than it is now! This is the only country in the world that I have been to so far, other than the USA where public transport is so expensive and such a mess. If you want to get people out of their cars, give them a alternative and we just don't have one at the moment.

And I agree again with SC ( ), how on earth did it come into being that cars with high CO2 levels pay more tax to use the roads, surely it should be heavier vehicles that erode the roads more and cars just pay a flat rate. Nonsense.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by GaryB
My plan for when I'm PM.
4: if the road you want to use is crap, use one maintained by a different company.
LOL I need to go from here to there but the road is crap so I'll so somewhere else instead

I don't see the need for expensive, complicated to maintain road pricing, road tax etc. schemes. Just scrap the lot and put it on fuel you then get pure pay per you drive that is cheap for the govt. to maintain (you could dwarf the size of the DVLA for start if no RFL for one).

I think privatisation works best if it's the consumer/civilian that gets the choice that it brings. For example, don't like BT (or gas/leccy provider etc.) and you can choose a different provider tomorrow. Don't like Southern trains and you can't just change, the decision is not in the hands of the public but of the miniters/civil servants that manage the contract "tendering" process.

Quick Reply: Car Tax