Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Car park hit and run

Old 07-05-2012, 02:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car park hit and run

Came home last night for my fiance to show me that she'd had her car smacked in the car park she parks in every day at work - It's a shopping centre car park.

Nice dent in the drivers door and quite bad scrapes at the rear corner drivers side.

No note left on her windscreen obviously and the car park apparently has no CCTV.

Bloody annoying.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:17 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Infuriating.

There are some total c unts out there.

Hope you get it sorted relatively painlessly.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:46 AM

I have done this to somebody in the past, I hadn't long been driving and as I was reversing out of a space when I caught the front bumper of my Ford Festa under the rear wheel arch and bumper of the car next to me. I made a bit of a mess of the rear of the other car and strangely no damage to mine. I got out and wrote my name and home phone number on a piece of paper and put it under the wiper (was a time before Mobile phones) as I felt pretty pap about what I had done.
That evening I had a call from the guy who owned the car, he couldn’t believe that I had left my number and didn’t just drive off
He then said that because I was so honest and it was a company car he would just tell his boss that someone had hit him in a car park and driven off.

To say I was chuffed is an understatement just goes to show that honesty is the best policy.

I hope you get it sorted as painlessly as possible mate
Old 07-05-2012, 04:06 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

i think you're the exception rather than the rule Jonesy

ultimately people seem to not take responsibility for their mistakes which is bloody annoying when it costs you a grand or so in excess and future penalties and all you did was park properly.

fvckers
Old 07-05-2012, 04:13 AM

Back when I had my S2000 I came back to my car one day in a car park and saw there was a note under the wiper - my heart sank as I obviously assumed the worst that someone had hit the car. Thankfully that wasn't the case and it was actually just a note from someone saying how much they liked the car and that I should enjoy driving it as it looked amazing and that it was their dream car. True story.

I'm going to take my fiance's car to the local bodyshop I use and see how much it will be to repair it.

If it's not silly money I'll just pay for it myself rather than claiming on the insurance I guess. We don't have protected no claims on her car, only on my car.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jonesybubs
I have done this to somebody in the past, I hadn't long been driving and as I was reversing out of a space when I caught the front bumper of my Ford Festa under the rear wheel arch and bumper of the car next to me. I made a bit of a mess of the rear of the other car and strangely no damage to mine. I got out and wrote my name and home phone number on a piece of paper and put it under the wiper (was a time before Mobile phones) as I felt pretty pap about what I had done.
That evening I had a call from the guy who owned the car, he couldn’t believe that I had left my number and didn’t just drive off
He then said that because I was so honest and it was a company car he would just tell his boss that someone had hit him in a car park and driven off.

To say I was chuffed is an understatement just goes to show that honesty is the best policy.

I hope you get it sorted as painlessly as possible mate

Flip side to this: I also once caused a small amount of damage while reversing out of a tight narrow street in Edinburgh. I left a note with address and phone number (she was a neighbour). My car at the time was an RX8 (no damage), hers was an old, brown Honda Civic. Damage was a scratch on the door, no dent, no other panels damaged.

The next day she phones, distressed, saying "I can't believe I've been in an accident!". I said don't worry, I'll pay. I gave her the option to get it fixed herself and send me the bill, or leave it to me to sort it all out. All I asked was that she doesn't get the insurance companies involved as I would lose my NCB and my premiums would go up as I was a young male driving a sports car.

She seemed satisfied with this, but then I didn't hear back from her. 6 months later, I got a threatening letter from her insurance company demanding upwards of £2000 for replacing the entire door, including door mirror and fixtures. They also demanded legal fees for having to refer to their legal department! This was the only communication I'd received from the insurance company, or the woman herself.

This whole experience made me think twice about being "honest".
Old 07-05-2012, 07:20 AM

and that's why you should always tell your own insurance company - 'cost it will always come back and bite you in the bum!
Old 07-05-2012, 08:21 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

When some old duffer in an Accordion reversed into my MX-5 it was a passer-by who left the note.

Turned out the good samaritan was at the same Accountant's Tea Party that I was, but that was pure chance.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by GreenmanS2000
and that's why you should always tell your own insurance company - 'cost it will always come back and bite you in the bum!
With all the best will in the world, I don't think this is a helpful comment. Insurance companies aren't there to look after you, they're there to make money for themselves, and affiliated repair companies/ lawyers etc.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got back my local highstreet and saw a XC90 or something parked in a bay on the highstreet with a large bit of what looked like bumper on the bonnet, when I looked at the back, it appears that someone may have hit the back of it, knocked off the cover for the tow bar and put it on the bonnet for him.

No sign of a note, assume it they hit it hard enough to knock it off, could well have damaged the car. I guess at least they picked up the mess an left it on his paintwork.