Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk
View Poll Results: Have you ever had a car crash?
Yes
89.69%
No
10.31%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Car crashes

Old 04-18-2009, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Started my car crash record as a very young child.

1 - pile up in the St Cloud tunnel near Paris, my dad was driving (not me of course). Can't remember exact age but it was less than 5.

2 - Passenger with my mother when my dad crashed into us with my sister as a passenger (that was a row and a half!!) We were moving from the East of France near the German border to Brittany and managed an accident in Chartres (nearly half way accross France from East to West). I was 11 years old.
Interesting insurance claim too as my dad was the policy holder for both cars.

3 - Passenger with my dad on our way to our holidays in Italy when someone refused us the priority on the road and crashed sideways into our car. That made the rest of the trip interesting as the geo was knackered.

4 - Dad trying to park same damaged car in a car park in Italy and crashed into another car, a few days later. The language complications were interesting there but the owner was very courteous, and the car (a lovely Lancia Beta) started to look battered like a lot of Italian cars . 13 ish for 4 and 3

5 - 3 months after I passed my driving test I crashed my mum's car into the car in front. 19 years old. My fault I was getting cocky behind the wheel.

6 - crashed my Nova into the car in front. Age:31 (my neck problems started there ). My fault I was very distracted due to some serious stress I was under.

7 - crashed my Nova into the car in front. Age:32 (nearly exactly 12 months later). Classed as my fault but the stupid had set off across the roundabout only to stop dead! I hate people who can't make decisions. I have some doubt as to the real intentions of that person though as I kept getting letters from differents solicitors trying to sue me for damage. She took a week off sick!! FFS!

Touch wood I have rebuilt a good no claim bonus (I am 42 ).
Old 04-19-2009, 12:46 PM

two slight, two not so slight. Slight ones my fault, others not. In both the more serious ones i was cut out by the fire brigade, suffered injuries to my left leg and was in hospital overnight. Both also occured in good weather and involved a woman in another car crossing in front of me. Both were also "t-bone" collisions at around 50mph, on dual carriageways. They were 8 years apart - one in suffolk, one in shetland. I have also witnessed crashes i'd rather not attempt to recall.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:55 PM

3 out of 4 of my "crashes" have involved animals, and all were in the Highlands.

Flock of sheep that had been spooked ran out from behind a barn at the side of the road straight into my folks' Volvo 740.

One of the crofters quickly disappeared and returned with a large rifle

Fortunately it was to despatch the couple that Sweden's finest had not managed to do properly.

Second was a large stag that "appeared" in the middle of a fast A road late at night - dipped beams don't give you enough warning at NSL (dipped early because of oncoming traffic coming in the distance). Not enough room to brake to a standstill, and when I tried to go around the stupid animal went the same way

With the impact when I whacked it's hind wuarters and it went off to the side, I expected the whole front of the car to be stuffed..... but it was a Saab 9-5, so a plate sized bonnet dent and a smashed headlight. I hate to think what would have happened had I been in a low sportscar

Ever since, I haven't drive after dark in the Highlands north of the Great Glen - too risky unless you want to sit at 40mph, which isn't much fun.

Next was hitting another few sheep that ran out from bwhind a hillock - this time in the S, which faired quite well - I managed to carry on with the remaining 150 miles of the meet - still cost
Old 04-19-2009, 11:01 PM

32 years driving and no bumps touchwooooooooood
Old 04-20-2009, 03:23 PM

I've been in more hedges than Russel Brand...
Old 04-21-2009, 07:52 AM

Received 250 Likes on 215 Posts

Voted yes, cause it was last night.
Stupid white van doing 70'ish realises that the traffic in front has slowed to 15mph, 20 yards from the back of my car(106 beater) and slams on the brakes, I heard the tyre squeal and then "bang", he hit the rear nearside corner turning me across the outside lane and into the centre barrier. It's not funny seeing the traffic coming straight for you. Luckily they had seen wvm lock up and slowed expecting an incident, thankfully.
I'm rather sore today but in better condition than the car which I suspect that it will not return from the bodyshop, searching for replacement now.