Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk
View Poll Results: Have you ever had a car crash?
Yes
89.69%
No
10.31%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Car crashes

Old 04-15-2009, 03:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, 3.

First I was stationary in traffic and thumped at about 40mph.

Second I was in bed, and the other driver reversed out their drive, across a wide open road, and into my car (which I'd owned about 4 days, after the first accident wrote the car off).

Third I was stationary in traffic and thumped at about 10mph.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:15 AM

so, where's the line between a 'good' and 'bad' driver?
.........or is there even one at all?
Old 04-15-2009, 04:37 AM

Read the signature below!!
Old 04-15-2009, 06:12 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by veehexx,Apr 15 2009, 12:15 PM
so, where's the line between a 'good' and 'bad' driver?
.........or is there even one at all?
Like all bland sophisms, there are many interpretations;

LJKS was a very talented driver; didn't stop him nearly being wiped out by a bus, nor parking the only Mazda Cosmo in the country into a ditch...
Old 04-15-2009, 06:14 AM

1. two weeks after passing my test, braked mid bend, bent my mum's car. Very much my fault.

2. a few months later ran into the back of someone at a junction. I could see nothing was coming so took my foot off the brake as I coasted up behind them expecting them to go, but they didn't. My fault.

3. 15 years (or more) later after many miles of happy driving. On my Harley going to work on a sunny Friday morning, someone pulls out in front of a car I was about to overtake (after we'd cleared the junction). Car in front of me hits front corner of the one that pulled out. I hit the rear corner of the car that pulled out. His fault. New frame, new forks, new front wheel etc etc New helmet, new jacket, damages etc etc... not good.

And that's all folks.... riding a bike has definitely made me a better driver too
Old 04-15-2009, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Type R,Apr 15 2009, 11:22 AM
Not sure whether to vote yes or no.

I was rear-ended while in the S. The car was static and I was indicating to turn in to a works car park. A delivery van travelling too fast with the driver probably too engrossed with his phone hit the back of me. I managed to take minor avoiding action when I saw the driver lock up the wheels in the rear view mirror though..

Other than that, no car accidents since receiving my car licence 20 years ago. I've had a few lucky escapes though.

I think that having ridden motorbikes for a few years helps one to avoid accidents where possible.
Vote yes, as you meet the criteria - you were in the car as the driver, fault / no fault not relevant
Old 04-15-2009, 01:28 PM

Pah!
Old 04-15-2009, 01:46 PM

I agree with the bike references, it sure does make you more aware, i would make everyone take the CBT..
Old 04-16-2009, 12:27 AM

one minor one, had just passed test.

Was at the school car park as I was reversing out a bay, hadnt noticed that my 'mate' trying to be a smart arse had pulled in next to me. I swung out and cought his rear whell arch lifting his fiesta in the air.

My fault, should have paid more attention, my car caught fire two weeks later whilst driving up the city bypass.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:58 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

In over thirty years.....

Two minors my fault not long after passing my test - rear ended a car at a roundabout who stopped half way across to look at the signs still my fault

Then misjudged the clearance on my left and clipped a parked car - obviously my fault

Had numerous cases of people pulling out in front of me on roundabouts - never my fault and enabled me to write off and upgrade several cars

Went years before making another mistake then rear ended a car when blinded by the sun as I rounded a corner - still my fault

Got hit by two separate drivers in two days once - the first was hit and run so the second poor sap copped the total bill

Had my worst one at Le Mans when the throttle stuck open on a 5.3 V12 Daimler - seriously scary and mechanical or otherwise, I didn't think fast enough to stop the prang

Then I wrote off my M3 in an aquaplane - not sure that was really my fault as I wasn't the only one that day and the drainage was inadequate

Minor collision with a signpost in the snow in Feb - couldn't blame the post

Quick Reply: Car crashes