Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk
View Poll Results: Have you ever had a car crash?
Yes
89.69%
No
10.31%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Car crashes

Old 04-14-2009, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car crashes

Don't care about fault / non-fault just interested to see the percentage of people who have, as a driver, been in a car crash.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:26 AM

Yes. Definitely non-fault.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Car overtook me then disappeared round a right hander. I come around the right hander to find him right across the street. He was trying to get in a dog leg corner to the left so had swung onto the right hand side of the road to make the turn longer/easier. I clipped the back of him as he went around. Since I rear ended him my fault.

2. Pulled up at a roundabout. The car behind me didn't. Smashed into the rear of me writing the car off. Turns out he was making cow eyes at his girlfriend in the passenger seat and hadn't seen me slowing. He hit me. His fault.

3. Driving down a residential street. Dizzy half blind old biddy reveresed out of a street into the side of me. Done and duster her fault.

4. Same residential street. I'm coming home from work. Car in front is looking for a parking space for Chester Races. Young lads so driving with an on/off style. I follow him round the corner and he accelerates aggresively then instantly stands on the anchors as he sees a space. I'm on autopilot and drift into the back of him at 5mph. My fault

5. Driving down a dual carriageway. Audi TT in front kicks up a huge piece of Plywood and I drive through it in a works car. Managed to get across the carriageway enough that it didn't take my passengers head off though. Works car so no idea who's fault it ended up getting put down against.

6. Span the S up the M53 (leaden foot/rain mismatch) my fault
Old 04-14-2009, 11:10 AM

**** me Ben! Remind me to never passenger with you!
Old 04-14-2009, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car crashes? After 30 years (18 yrs old to present) in the saddle and a few 'moments' (and touching wood as I write)?? No.

Bikes? Yes. A couple of write-offs in 12 years (aged 16 to 28). First time 10/10/78 aged 17 on a Yam DT175 when I had an altercation with a tractor turning right into a field as I was overtaking it - it was just starting to get light and the tractor didn't indicate and didn't even have any lights on..... cracked rib + 16 stitches to knee and I'm VERY wary of tractors to this day. Second time 12/03/82 at 3am in morning on night of my 21st birthday whilst riding an old 750 Suz 'kettle' trying to get from Ripon to a girl's house at Knarsborough.... totally and utterly w@nkered and fell asleep on a back lane at retrospectively-estimated 60-70ish (based on amount of 'groundworks' undertaken to verge, hedgeback etc.)..... front end of bike ripped clean off (yokes snapped)... not a scratch on me.

(I am a VERY firm believer that an 'apprenticeship' on bikes makes you a LOT better and safer car driver who is acutely aware of all adverse potentialities whether road or other-road-user related!)
Old 04-14-2009, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by 98RON,Apr 14 2009, 08:17 PM
(I am a VERY firm believer that an 'apprenticeship' on bikes makes you a LOT better and safer car driver who is acutely aware of all adverse potentialities whether road or other-road-user related!)

Although by the time I took my bike test, I'd been driving for 6 years.

It did improve my driving though that is for sure.

General observation / anticipation etc...
Old 04-14-2009, 11:51 AM

One thing I always remember is something I paraphrase from the old Rolls Royce chauffers course. Somthing along the lines of "any accident is always the fault of the driver". It basically means that there is almost always something you could have done to avoid the accident.

Even if it is the other guys fault you could normally learn something from it to improve your driving.

Ohhh and San, I reckon 1 and 4 were down to very erratic driving on the side of the third party however not a cat in hells chance of proving it

Ergo the only one you could really hand on me was spinning up the M53 when I hadn't a clue how to drive a high powered RWD car
Old 04-14-2009, 11:59 AM

I reckon my Minor & Healey Sprite helped my early years of driving.

1) Lack of wing mirrors makes you look around more.
2) Lack of general safety gives you a desire not to need the fire brigade on hand to hose you out of the wreckage after a shunt.

Neither had colapsable steering columns, the Sprite in particular was bad as the rack was ahead of the front wheels, so it was a "spear" of a column pointed at your chest. Wood rimmed motalita to add to the misery too, in the event of a bump.

I've a feeling the 205gti carrys this concept on. It's made of bacofoil.
Sometimes I wonder how much structural integrity is given by the paint!

My one shunt was in my 206Gti. A lady turn right from a junction, across my path. I was livid. The car was 3 days from being 1 year old. After we ground to a halt I sat swearing at her.

I gathered myself together and got out. She looked terrified. Turned out she was deaf and relied on lip reading, so she had a very good idea of my thoughts before I got out of the car.

Back in 2001 the investment in a disposable camera was superb. It more than paid itself back. I took a bunch of photos, which in the long run preserved my NCD. Otherwise it was "Young Mr. Gti" vs "Little ole lady."
Old 04-14-2009, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bogsye,Apr 14 2009, 07:59 PM
I reckon my Minor & Healey Sprite helped my early years of driving.

1) Lack of wing mirrors makes you look around more.
2) Lack of general safety gives you a desire not to need the fire brigade on hand to hose you out of the wreckage after a shunt.

Neither had colapsable steering columns, the Sprite in particular was bad as the rack was ahead of the front wheels, so it was a "spear" of a column pointed at your chest. Wood rimmed motalita to add to the misery too, in the event of a bump.
, vintage cars on skinny tyres teach you to control a car at slow speeds as well.

You're so insulated from actually what you're driving these days you haven't a clue what's going on underneath you
Old 04-14-2009, 12:08 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

2 cars written off ..... both a *long* time ago and both my fault. One was spun on gravel and went through a fence the other clipped a tree on a country road.

1 bike written off ..... fault of a dozy van driver

Quick Reply: Car crashes