Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

a car for 2012

Old 07-13-2012, 11:54 AM

Received 649 Likes on 565 Posts

Its the dark grey, Space Grey, anthracite sort of colour. With black interior.

And manual. They are ponderous compared to the S no doubt, the dct is a better box but i was concerned about longevity (probably irational) and my defaulting to auto (which i did on test drives with that box). It is impressive kit though.

It sounds quiet but still lovely.. I have long coveted a v8..

The missus thinks its a mid life crisis .. 420bhp family barge
Old 07-14-2012, 02:29 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Sounds like a real bargain. Comes with many options? Dealer or private? The latter I'd guess at that price

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
420bhp family barge
So four doors then
Old 07-14-2012, 03:33 AM

Hi Rog, nope, coupe. Ahem. It has folding seats therefore is more practical. You believe me?

I did look at a white saloon but it was fugly and had a wrapped in black roof which was shit imho... I prefer the coupe and will struggle with sproggo instead for vanity as itll only be sprog transport for long hauls i guess. The saloons are like rocking horse droppings but the looks never convinced me.

16k miles, unfortunately it was just shy of £30k

BM Dealer so i get a years warranty, 6 months tax and for them a decent price i think. The engine is addictive, more character than the 335 and sorts the v8 itch. Get it next friday.

I dont get new idrive like yours, it would have made my tax bill rather offensive
Old 07-14-2012, 04:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

335d
Old 07-14-2012, 05:01 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Its the dark grey, Space Grey, anthracite sort of colour. With black interior.

And manual. They are ponderous compared to the S no doubt, the dct is a better box but i was concerned about longevity (probably irational) and my defaulting to auto (which i did on test drives with that box). It is impressive kit though.

It sounds quiet but still lovely.. I have long coveted a v8..

The missus thinks its a mid life crisis .. 420bhp family barge
nice!
Old 07-14-2012, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by s2konroids
335d
£5k cheaper for something that will be much less fun to drive, have a 2k rpm wide powerband, sound like a tank and stock has about 130bhp less, yeah sure, really fits my requirement

This car is the pinnacle of the 3 series, loads of bespoke parts amd the only one that really looks the part. 2nd choice would be the 335i over the d and day for me but ultimately, again for me, they look a bit too much of a sleeper.

A 335d is just not an attractive proposition to me, its for a director who does the miles imo
Old 07-14-2012, 01:09 PM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Each to their own re gears and I know just how you are feeling.

My first 58 plate convertible was manual. I didn't really get on with it. Tolerated, is the word. You are right about the DCT and using auto but it feels ok when you are just using the car as a magic carpet ride to be in auto. Example: my ride to Waitrose today. (Weekends I cook and have to drive out to source ingredients etc) Going, was 8 miles in 15 minutes - rapid - auto, with brain disengaged. Return trip, had to stop by Sainsbury for a couple of things, unfortunately using a bikers' B road for several miles ... so I grabbed a paddle and 'hit the road', which was nice and empty

Having your comments in mind, I analysed my use of gears etc. On the return trip I was instinctively up into the 5000-7000+ rpm band, working the gears for traction and braking/attitude to set up in corners and working out the apexes and braking points, feeling the car move like a willing horse under me. Going, even in 2nd sportiest auto mode (changing up at 4000 rpm) I was simply in fast cruise mode and not particularly trying to thrash the road's neck as it is not that sort of road. Sunny bright dry surfaces and roads I know well, both of them.

Interestingly, in the 58 plate manual convertible my petrol consumption was teens only but then I was always instinctively using most of the available rev range - old habits etc from S2000 days possibly. The gearbox is much better than the old E46 but still not a patch on the S2000 and position-wise not so good, although maybe that was my leaning-back arms straight seat position. The DCT gives me 22+ mpg.

What is good about the paddles is, you don't have to drop a hand off the wheel to grope the knob. Also, if you want to drop an extra gear down quickly it's peasy, and usually rewarded with blip in neutral to spin the gears like what proper racers like MB do all the time As you approach the rev limit the DCT gives you an F1-style light show to warn you to change gear - peripheral vision - so you can really push the limit easier.

The DCT is so worth it (and I think (the absence) is why you get such a good deal with a manual.)

You really should try one out Jason, ideally on 'biker aware' roads you know near home. Discipline is the watchword though and it is indeed so relaxing to just stay in auto, so much power on tap to scorch any irritants. I somehow always manage to find something out of stock at Waitrose though (Actually increasingly in this JIT-comes-to-supermarkets world, it is not something I have to fake.)

And the old DVD based iDrive was a real pain whereas the new hard-drive one (with, as you say, the main menu options on buttons so you can cut to the chase and not have to everlastingly press the big tit to go back button) is way better. Who ever decided to market a satnav which doesn't take UK postcodes? It is that bad in the original DVD iDrive.

Really the extra £5k or so is worth it: you won't use the bike anymore anyway

Hi Rog, nope, coupe. Ahem. It has folding seats therefore is more practical. You believe me?
Completely :straightfaced: So much safer with no rear doors. Push of the button to slide the driver's seat forward while holding the sprog under your arm, Bob couldn't be more avuncular
Old 07-14-2012, 01:46 PM

Tried the DCT on 335i which i know is a different box but i did love it. But ultimately it wasnt a must have for me. I reckon 4-5k/yr so mpg really matter. And your droptop was carrying some lard so that would contribute.

Question is, if i did keep it for 10yrs would it be trouble free? Its much more complex than a robust old stick shift (to a ludite like me) and i do sometimes keep my cars (S2 10 years at xmas). I think it could go that way, all depends on "life decisions", do i keep working away and chasing the yankee dollar or try to find work in sunny notts? Depends how dorris settles back in after mat leave and what we do with sproggo, currently using a p/t nanny so thats a drain.

I rarely use sat nav, another £5k would be £5k + 25% and i figured lets stick for now.. Maybe one to regret? . I've done this so its cool if its 12 months and out. I didnt see dcts commanding a huge premium, certainly stratstone had a car that would have fit if i'd moved faster.. Chavvy white though so you wouldnt approve.

If you're over this way drop by. I heard the later gearbox is a revelation, just software though. So maybe i'll upgrade to a MY11 one day. I geuinely believe these are amongst the last cars of their type in this price range. 4l v8s are a dying breed. It'll be 3l turbos like that 335 from here in, then 2.5 etc.

Maybe its me not wanting the change...

Whatever i cant lose, it sounds brilliant and i loved the seats

Cheers for all the assistance, i'll post thoughts in a few months.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:00 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

BM Dealer so i get a years warranty, 6 months tax and for them a decent price i think. The engine is addictive, more character than the 335 and sorts the v8 itch. Get it next friday.
I looked at a car at an independent yesterday - reminded me why I prefer buying from a main dealer

Car had 1500 more miles on the clock than advertised
Three tyres were brands I had never heard of
The last was a knackered premium which looked like oem
All four alloys needed a refurb
No tax on the car
All four discs and pads were due for replacement
Clutch was clearly not long for this world
The 'perfect service history' wasn't

Never had those problems with main agents and when there has been an aberration - such as a nicked alloy or bald tyre - the response has always been the same - we'll fix that before sale

Keep that warranty going on the M3 when the supplied one runs out - it will be worth every penny
Old 07-15-2012, 12:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure a main dealer is more likely to supply a good, properly looked after car Pete, but it is by no means a 'given'.

I looked at a low mileage, 6 month old, ex-demonstrator M3 at Vines in Crawley a few years back. Upon inspecting the service history I noticed that the early inspection service had been carried out about 700 miles after the recommended mileage.

When I queried this with the salesman, he assured me this would absolutely not in any way, shape, or form impact the warranty.

Being a mistrusting, suspicious sort, I contacted BMW warranties. They assured me that this aberration (made by a BMW main agent, on a car they owned) would only impact the warranty on drive-train related claims!!!!!!

Quick Reply: a car for 2012